What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sign William Hopoate Thread

You will probably sign Kite later in the season anyway. Build the Dads Army.

We had a family get together at The Flying Fox (Mona Vale) yesterday & he walked in. For someone who had played a game of 1st grade footy the day before, he was getting around like as if it was the off season.

Very friendly guy, and down to earth - unlike some players I have met over the years.

Nephew didnt know who he was, until we pointed him out, and then wanted an autograph - which he quite happily gave.

Overall, I was surprised - a Manly player that seemed half decent. :lol:

Dutchy

Immortal
Kite is one of the nicest blokes you will meet, gets on well with Joey G, both being massive churchies and all.

MrT

Juniors
Manly will never let him go and rightly so. Kid is a star. If we could get him I'd be over the moon....and not ours either, one of Saturns fking moons

well make Manly pay top dollar then, no harm in trying. I'd throw $250k a year for 3 years at him and then let Manly have to match it

I would throw 300 serious. ( risky but worth it)

He is a player who we all know is going to be a mega star in the game.

It''s who is going to throw the most money to have the rite to have him on their team.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I can't believe Andrew actually made a good assesment of a players abilities?!?!?!

Just for that we should sign young Hopo no matter the cost!

Ladmate

Bench
Why don't you guys frontload his contract with all the cap space you have? It doesn't hurt the eels, and he gets paid more.

TheRam

Coach
Hey if we can pay Tahu around $300 thou when he is nearing the end of his career, then I think that we can give a future champion the same amount at the start of his career.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I can't believe we haven't made an approach to this bloke. Sure no one knows if we have or have not for sure, but even the doggies CEO has been quoted in the papers that he doesn't want to play out future signings through the media, yet they are still linked to chasing his signature as so are Illawarra.

And let us not forget, that for all the apparent new found secrecy associated with our club, we still were all aware of our interest in Junior Va Vai way before he signed.

Which leads me to believe that we are NOT interested and have Not approached Hoppa's people.

IF, this is the case, I find it ludicrous and an outrageously bad decision by our coach/management, to say the least.

I mean look at the Dogs or Dragons, they lose one star player, and straight away they search and seek to replace him with another star player in the making that IS available. Whether they succeed or not is not the point, but to me it shows a management team that is switched on.

We on the other hand have done sweet FA. Sure we have signed a Souths junior and he may or may not turn out. Reports are mixed. But to me, well it just doesn't seem good enough.

I'll state it again. Why not make Hoppa our highest priority first and throw a bucket load of cash his way. An offer to good to refuse, hell we have the dosh, and if he should accept it, cut three bodgie nobodies from our squad of many bodgies, who are on around 100 thou and don't sign or sign Vai Vai if we still think we need him.

I mean, sure we need a top half and by all means we should move hell and high water to secure, if we can, an established one or if not try to lure the best available two or three junior half/5/8ths to our club. But even if we do have a great half, we still need more then one strike player in our backline. And Hopa certainly is a player that can break tackles find a hole and can stand up his opposite with relative ease. How many of those sort of players are there on the open market at present. Especially when you think that he is only 19 at present.

But no, we go for the solid bargain buy, even though we have the means to buy from the top shelf.

Also from a fans perspective, a coup signing like that would finally be getting one back on Manly after decades of them pillaging our ranks and also instantly instil a hell of a lot of confidence in our new coaching/management structure.

Stagger eel

Staff member
well make Manly pay top dollar then, no harm in trying. I'd throw $250k a year for 3 years at him and then let Manly have to match it

Absolutely..

I think the kid is going to be one of the best outside backs in the game within 2 years, scale the offer to suit that, make Manly pay him premium dollar the very least.

barney gumble

Juniors
Absolutely..

I think the kid is going to be one of the best outside backs in the game within 2 years, scale the offer to suit that, make Manly pay him premium dollar the very least.

Agreed, but Hoppa snr still very close to the Manly club. Jnr seems very well grounded, still lives at home with his parents. A superstar in the making for sure, Manly will match any offer from what I'm hearing and jnr will probaly stay there for a little less anyway.

Latest posts