What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the significance of arsenal's victory over juventus

nibbs

Bench
the premiership's 5th best team beat serie a's best team, who have been beaten only once this season, comfortably, just let me add. judging by this, roma are probably only as good charlton or manchester city. they'd definitely finish mid table, probably in the lower half. juventus would be lucky to finish 6th. this means that we can safely conclude that the premiership is a better league than serie a.

Macca_

Coach
nibbs said:
the premiership's 5th best team beat serie a's best team, who have been beaten only once this season, comfortably, just let me add. judging by this, roma are probably only as good charlton or manchester city. they'd definitely finish mid table, probably in the lower half. juventus would be lucky to finish 6th. this means that we can safely conclude that the premiership is a better league than serie a.
Can't agree at all. And does it really matter?

There is no way you can compare the leagues like that. If you're going to use Arsenal as the example at least take things in perspective.

You're talking about a team that only 2 seasons ago went a FULL season undefetaed in the league. You're talking about a team that has been in the top 2 in the league for the past 9 seasons. It's (I hate the word) a rebuilding season to some extent with all the young players being bought on and a changing of the guard re Vieira etc. Also take into account the ammount of injuries Arsenal have had this season.

The emergence of youth, players like Vieira leaving and the number of injuries to key position in particular in the defensive line has meant it's been an inconsitant season for them. However now with some of these kids really standing up to be counted, a settled backline (still without 3 first choice players) and some confidence about the team they are showing the type of football they are capable of and a glimpse of the future for the club in their new stadium next season.

Whatever spin you put on it, you're not talking about your average every day 5th team in the league. I think you're being very harsh on not only Juventus, but the Italian league.

Each to their own though.

Macca_

Coach
Tomm said:
Come on you Spurs.
Well yes... That would have been a better exapmle to use for a mid table premiership side :D ;-)

Yes yes, I know they 'currently' occupy the spot above the gunners :lol:

nibbs

Bench
Macca_ said:
Whatever spin you put on it, you're not talking about your average every day 5th team in the league. I think you're being very harsh on not only Juventus, but the Italian league.

the thing is, Macca_, the italian league, except for Inter and Cagliari, is a disgrace.

Tomm

Juniors
Macca_ said:
Well yes... That would have been a better exapmle to use for a mid table premiership side :D ;-)

Yes yes, I know they 'currently' occupy the spot above the gunners :lol:

You said it.

Macca_

Coach
Tomm said:
You said it.
You'll note the use of 'currently' :D

And as I type this, Arsenal are 2-0 up over Villa, Sp*rs trail 3-1 to Newcastle, just about half time in both.

Results stay the same, it's a 2 point gap, Gunners with game in hand and the derby game still to come at Highbury.

'Currently' :D

Dragooner

Bench
It was a massive win for Arsenal. Not in matter of the score but to beat the best team in Italy. But this gives no one the right to say that the Serie A is worse then the EPL. Teams win games and teams lose games. For all we care Juve could smash Arsenal in the Second Legg. It's completely unfair to say one league is better than another.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
nibbs said:

There are still 3 Italian teams in the CL compared to one "English" team (and I use the term loosely cause a Englishman at Arsenal is pretty rare these days)

Macca_

Coach
Jackal Dog said:
There are still 3 Italian teams in the CL compared to one "English" team (and I use the term loosely cause a Englishman at Arsenal is pretty rare these days)
Not that there is anything wrong with that though right????

The best leagues in the world attract the best players in the world. Just because there isn't a whole heap of English players at a club doesn't make them any less an English League team...

To be honest it's one of the lamest debates in world soccer which gets the eyes rolling when every now and then it gets bought up during commentary. I mean really, does it matter that much?

Arsenal as a club, play in the English Premier League. They are an English Club. :D

domdom

Juniors
out of the three top leagues in europe (italy, england, spain), they all have their good and bad points, but you cant judge a league just by the representatives in a knockout competition.

easiest way to do it, is watch matches from each league and amke your judgement from that.

thanks to fox, i've followed matches in all three leagues for a couple of years, and for me, the league with the most talent and most entertaining football would be the spanish league. matches from the italian league are a little slow for my taste, and alot of teams in the EPL play like they are still in the 1970's, lobbing longballs from a five man defence to a lone, tall timber forward.

its all about taste. spanish league suits mine, so i think its the best. others will think differently

weasel

First Grade
I'd put english in second ahead of italian, imo. You gotta look at the league as a whole instead of just comparing the top teams. Second-tier teams in England like Newcastle, Tottenham, Man City, Everton, Aston Villa are still extremely wealthy and have impressive buying power in comparison to clubs with a similar standing in the continental leagues.

There's a real divide between rich and poor in Italy (also in Spain, but the depth of talent is phenomenal, the smaller clubs can still produce highly skilled squads on lower budgets) and a lot of the clubs aren't up to scratch.

Macca_

Coach
Wouldn't have expected much else though sunny...

The away team in the first game had a 2-0 lead to defend.

Whilst the home team in the second game knew if they conceded they needed to win the match.

Were always going to be defensive battles.

Latest posts