What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The so-called "Development" that didn't save us

One question:

Do we outright own the land down there at Woolooware? I know it was gifted to us, but are there any caveats on it?

The Sharks are my club. I have supported them since before I can remember. I remember ET scoring five tries...twice. I remember getting my first Sharks jersey with his number on it at six. And so on.

But the simple fact is the Sharks have never been good at doing anything.

We've been down the broke path before. We've been close to broke.

We have never won a Premiership.

The Leagues Club offers next to nothing to anyone on any day other than game day, unless you are a 75 year old widow gambling away your pension.

Not once in my memory has the administration of the club looked at doing anything outside the square, with the exception of Super League.

The club is bad at everything so my point is - what role does it have in overseeing a "development" and then having a hand in running a conference centre, nursing home, shops, etc etc? Nil.

If you think the NSW Government is bad then imagine what a debacle this would be. If they can't win a Premiership in 42 years, can't attract people to the Leagues Club and think moving the club to the Central Coast is a good idea, then imagine just how poorly they would manage a development.

The whole thing has gone from one joke to the next. It's been promised for so long but these promises have really intensified over five years. And the ex-footy players, mugs and jokers in the ranks of the staff haven't even been able to get their act together to successfully lobby the different levels of Government over what is a relatively minor development in the scheme of things at the same time the State Government has approved anything that anyone tosses up, under their Part 3A regulations.

The Sharks have no place in overseeing a development because they can't do anything. A better solution would be to unload the land and sell it for as much as they can. Even in a falling market they should get the tens of millions they need to survive. If they have some innate need to be part of it, then they should sell it for a combination of cash and equity. But they should never be anywhere near running the thing.

Then everyone who approved this thing who want to retire to the Central Coast can do so, but they can leave our football club here where it belongs.

Last edited:

spider

Coach
let your feet do the walking and your vote do the talking koth

its imperative the current regime is outed - actually, for survival of any kind, its a must

they met last night and voted in a single meeting to move half the seasons games, yes it may be a short term solution, but its a last minute decision

why did they wait so long?

and the reason the leagues club offers little would most likely be attributed to the amount of money it has to inject to support the football club

look at the report, and last years - its one entity not allowing any reinvestment other than what was needed - the FC is bleeding both entities dry

Ausguy

Coach
just heard zapps on BSB, i listened and didnt get angry, i was ok with what he was saying cos i could tell it wasnt easy for him to propose 5 games to the CC but i thought long and hard about it and if that means in 10 years the cronulla sharks still exist i could deal with it. Zapps is only trying to do what he can to bring in some money. he is right, to do NOTHING would definately mean the end. Lets see what happens.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I'm glad the Sharks are going to the central Coast.
Gives all the people who are the main whingers now, 1 last chance to get to the home games & also hang around after the games in the club & make it a fun place, which it is.
I cant beleive some people would want to hang in a qeue in front of Northies for an hour rather than hang in the Steve Rogers bar & have some beers.
Worse still, are the people who go to Northies to watch the game instead of the game , so they dont have to be in the qeue afterwards.

Get the Sharks out of Cronulla. The people of Cronulla dont deserve them.

Ausguy

Coach
Gives all the people who are the main whingers now, 1 last chance to get to the home games & also hang around after the games in the club & make it a fun place, which it is.
I cant beleive some people would want to hang in a qeue in front of Northies for an hour rather than hang in the Steve Rogers bar & have some beers.
Worse still, are the people who go to Northies to watch the game instead of the game , so they dont have to be in the qeue afterwards.

kind of agree there. would kill me but seriously imsick of defending the sharks to my friends and im sick of getting angry at people who ring radio shows to say how we are fickle fans and dont really have a base. they are right, either show up to the games or shut the f**k up.

spider

Coach
i agree with you reefy in regard to the people that suffer from apathy

for the ones who turn up week in week out like us season tickets holders, then it sux royally

but as i mentioned - if this proposal means the sharks survive in the long run, and return back to woolooware, then i will support it fully, i will travel and attend the games proposed up there

Criswell

Juniors
Theone thing you guys cannot rely on is that development on the Bay. it would take a decade to get through the courts will all the controversy and green outcries. the is no way "virgin" wetlands are going to be ploughed to all a footy team tosurvive.

sharknows

Bench

Thats a bit of a harsh generalization there Reefy. There are a significant number of long term season seat holders who have loyally supported the team for many years. The whole ET stand is virtually all season seats for starters.

I'll live with 6 home games if necessary and hope that this will help get us back in the black in the longer term. 6 games a year may make it something a bit special and get some decent crowds back.

PJ

First Grade
I have a heap of friends and family from the Gong, and have always said it is their own fault they lost their team.

Using the same logic I agree with Reefy, the Shire really doesn't deserve their own team.

I also agree with KOTH, the clubs management should have had the asset of the development up and running by now so there was an extra revenue stream.

spider

Coach
Theone thing you guys cannot rely on is that development on the Bay. it would take a decade to get through the courts will all the controversy and green outcries. the is no way "virgin" wetlands are going to be ploughed to all a footy team tosurvive.
the greenies have squat to complain about in that respect

its being built on the existing car park

if anything, they would be cleaning up the muck off the car park and putting in a walk way - i hope greenies are not opposed to footpaths

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Im not bagging the 7000 that go.(mostly other suburbs other than Cronulla) I'm bagging the other 100,000 that dont go.
What is the population of the Shire these days?

Generalzod

Immortal
I'm all for games to be played at the Central Coast, I feel that the leagues club is in the wrong place, What they should do is buy the land at the old brick works at Kirrawee and relocate the club there. It is accessible by bus and train.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I'm all for games to be played at the Central Coast, I feel that the leagues club is in the wrong place, What they should do is buy the land at the old brick works at Kirrawee and relocate the club there. It is accessible by bus and train.

Exactly. Get the Sharks out of Cronulla & get them on a main artery. Not Kirrawee. Then doze the stadium & build more income producing developments.

carcharias

Immortal
Imagine the bottle neck trying to get to the brick pit at kirrawee?

I drive through there everyday ...coming home is a nightmare.

They'd need to build an overhead freeway to bypass sutherland altogether...be a good idea.

The Popper

Bench

I partially agree with you, Blacktip. Except for the `True Blue', the people of the Shire do NOT deserve their own football team. I grew up mainly in the Shire. In the early days we really appreciated having our own team, with many local lads in the teams. I moved away for a time (and was involved in football in another area). I moved back nearly 30 years ago and, boy, could I notice the difference. What difference? A higher percentage of blase yuppie posers a la the eastern suburbs. Such people only support winners, and that we ain't. Therefore, no bums on seats except for the `True Blue'.
I support the move. I found out about it last night before the Board voted. Initially, I opposed it. But then I thought about it. Now, if we just go up there to take the money and run, crowds won't turn up. I reckon we have to do much more than that. I reckon we should offer the Central Coast half share in a joint venture and play half our games there permanently. This will double our fan base and our talent base. But we must give the Central Coast (part) ownership of the team otherwise it will be all for nothing and Cronulla Sharks will cease to exist. Zappia deserves a pat on the back for his initiative.

Last edited:

Latest posts