What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The so-called "Development" that didn't save us

pommy shark

Juniors
KotH is right

The world is littered with failed property developers who used to do something else. The club should enter into a profit sharing agreement with a successful, well funded developer and accept that returns wil be less but risks even lower.

When all is done the leagues club needs to shore up its ability to fund the football club, it needs about $3mill a year for this and not all the problems of a $120mill property deal.

Board - do what you are good at - running leagues clubs - let property guys do property

They're fair dinkum kidding.

They paraded the plans to the whole dumb thing for the media without even getting the go-ahead from government.

I think they even shelled out plenty of cash for replicas and plans to show off in the lobby of the leagues club that no one goes to.

The whole thing is extraordinary. A long running soap opera with no ending.

The Sharks board will not run the property development, it will be a separate entity with a separate board, (although no doubt the Sharks will have 2-3 non-executive board members being the major share holder). It would have its own CEO and be run as a property investment company, not as a subsiduary of the Sharks.

pommy shark

Juniors
BS - the whole seperate company thing is a veil for risk management - not business management - unless the Sharks get a real property guy heading up the show the Leagues club will run it as major shareholder

It will therefore go wrong

Not only should they not run the development, they shouldn't even be responsible for getting it off the ground. Because they can't.

Get some two-bit lobbyist in to do all that and pay a success fee for getting it through.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The Sharks board will not run the property development, it will be a separate entity with a separate board, (although no doubt the Sharks will have 2-3 non-executive board members being the major share holder). It would have its own CEO and be run as a property investment company, not as a subsiduary of the Sharks.

Exactly, & this is a great move. Woolaware Property Group. For thsoe that dont know, this concept is great for the Sharks & gives us money immediately once the approval is through. ofcourse, like KOTH & Surely say, you need a labor crook to make that happen.

Surely

Post Whore
This guy would be good Graham Richardson

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-in-the-shadows/2009/02/06/1233423496762.html

"I don't have to talk to ministers, I can get things done through other means," Mr Richardson said.
Asked to expand, Mr Richardson said he did not have to reveal any such thing.
"Often it's better not to talk to them [ministers] because if I do, people like you want to make something of it," he said.
"I have known people in the bureaucracy for years. I have lots of contacts, lots of ways to press for things. I can get done what I need to get done and I think I do it reasonably well and I cause no strife."
Mr Richardson has declared his lobbying for the developers Walker Group, Medich Property Holdings, Hardie Holdings, Bradcorp and Berowra Waters Marina P/L.

Money well spent

spider

Coach
How the hell is this the only option available?
its the most financially viable to eliminate the option of relocating
Why not just sell a package of the land?
dumb option, they are asset rich - it would be a silly move to reduce the only thing in their favour at this point in time

Also - how much money would ANZ Stadium pay? Seems they throw heaps of money at clubs to transfer games there. Homebush sucks but at least it's in Sydney.
i agree - homebush is sh*t

i would travel to Gosford and watch - but no chance will i go to watch another game at that stadium, its f**ked

and besides, the NRL should come to the party nicely if the games are taken up there

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
How is relocating the best option in eliminating the need to relocate?

merkins wont go to games in Cronulla KOTH. Its that simple.
Many predicted this a long time ago when the Sharks lost cult figures like ET , Presto & Peach. Instead we got flat Noddy ball & the crowds became less & less enthusiastic.
I went to a game against the Broncs at night, Freezing & was lucky to get in. The pearl ripped us up late in the game. f**k it was an exciting game to be at. A few years later, Et retired, Presto expelled, Peach unhappy, Treist blowing up deluxe & we are getting beat by 70. We have not inspired the crowds to return & we cant afford to buy the players that can. it was a good start with Baz, but we needed a Folau as well.

spider

Coach
they are talking 6 games - not 9

so, what would you suggest?

your critical of the stance taken, what would you do?