What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Socceroos Bandwagon

axie

Juniors
CWBush said:
Does anyone honestly even consider sailing a sport? Sure, technically it is, but it's no more a sport than cycling or chess - and I don't see anybody creaming their dacks over achievement in those.

Educated people my friend ...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Educated people my friend ...

So what would you know about it?

And don't even begin to imply that you're in any way superior to me, my friend. Compared to you I am an intellectual giant. In fact, that's true when comparing me to most people, but you make me feel particularly good about myself. I don't mean to be harsh, but I find if you don't put the little people in their place - they inevitably hurt themselves.

Danish

Referee
How many people compete in the america's cup?? Just about every nation on the planet??

Didnt think so.

To find a better acheivement on a truly world stage you need to group a few things together (such as, the entire 2000 olympic campaign) before you reach winning a World Cup game.

Nothing else on earth comes remotely close to the World Cup spectacle. It is the biggest sport in the world it is still extremely competive and the competition is always very close.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Reaching the second round of the World Cup could only be bettered if we won the Olympic Medal tally.

axie

Juniors
CWBush said:
So what would you know about it?

And don't even begin to imply that you're in any way superior to me, my friend. Compared to you I am an intellectual giant. In fact, that's true when comparing me to most people, but you make me feel particularly good about myself. I don't mean to be harsh, but I find if you don't put the little people in their place - they inevitably hurt themselves.

You make me chuckle old chum, but honestly a literary genius such as yourself should have made a superior effort than the verbal diarrhoea you spewed forth.

Misanthrope

Staff member
You make me chuckle old chum, but honestly a literary genius such as yourself should have made a superior effort than the verbal diarrhoea you spewed forth.

Ah, I like the way you try to sound intelligent by being verbose. I don't claim to be a literary genius - I like to think my genius is of a more broad variety.

Keep up the good work, I like your moxie.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Greatest achievement, please get your hands off it! If we win the WC then it will be our greatest achievemnet but i think going back to back in cricket at the 99' and 2003 World Cups is a bit tougher than winning 1 world cup game!

An41

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Greatest achievement, please get your hands off it! If we win the WC then it will be our greatest achievemnet but i think going back to back in cricket at the 99' and 2003 World Cups is a bit tougher than winning 1 world cup game!
oh too true my friend,if you consider the 1 win is the greatest moment then you are just making a joke out of every achievment Australia has ever had.

lockyno1

Post Whore
An41 said:
oh too true my friend,if you consider the 1 win is the greatest moment then you are just making a joke out of every achievment Australia has ever had.

Exactly and it was a good win, but lets not going overboard. :cool:

Tyler Durden

Juniors
agreed - this is not our greatest sporting event.

and i'll probably argue that our victory over uruguay is probably more significant than what we did in germany.

but i'm too caught up in the moment to argue for now. just want to enjoy this month, live it, love it, drink it in and sing, dance and scream and go nuts.
bring it on.

Bumble

First Grade
What...which part?

Or getting it? That wasn't acheived on a sporting arena of any kind..

pantherz9103

First Grade
In terms of the attention and growing respect that we are getting in world football I feel it is right up there with the best. But it could be temporary. If we get results against Brazil or Croatia and make it to the second round, then that will be a party and a half.

If we ever won the World Cup I think the turncoating from all the naysayers would be mind blowing. Yeah I know, can't imagine it can you?

pantherz9103

First Grade
Bumble said:
What...which part?

Or getting it? That wasn't acheived on a sporting arena of any kind..

Olympic Committee President Juan Antonio Samaranch said we staged 'best olympic games ever'. If that's anything to go by.

sydraider

First Grade
Macca_ said:
This is as good as it gets for us right now in this sport. We're getting bigger and bigger in the sport and this is only the beginning.

Whatever happens from here, the exposure the sport is getting is brilliant. It will only keep the game getting stronger.

Bring it on I say!

It might be the beginning of something special right now but after this event, we stand to lose a lot of experience with elder statesmen retiring. Who is the next batch? Well I would feel more comfortable with neestens and arnold in charge with guus to come back in 2 years.

What does the FFA do? Dog the prospect totally!

We have to live for now, this world cup we should aim for the top with no lubrication, this will be our last chance at such glory for a while me thinks!

aqua_duck

Coach
How can it be our greatest sporting achievement ever? We're not a bad side and we've played Japan before. Many sh*t nteams have won matches at the world cup and some sh*t teams have even fluked qualification to the 2nd round, a victory against a pretty ordinary japanese side in the 1st round of the world cup is our greatest sporting achievement ever? Spain eclipsed our greatest sporting achievement ever just last night.

Macca_

Coach
sydraider said:
It might be the beginning of something special right now but after this event, we stand to lose a lot of experience with elder statesmen retiring. Who is the next batch? Well I would feel more comfortable with neestens and arnold in charge with guus to come back in 2 years.
The exposure the sport is getting in this country right now is going to help with the next generation of kids coming through. I coach an under 15 side and all they are talking about is the aussies and the world cup. Before the world cup, there wasn't much talk about senior soccer at any level or competition amongst them.

If it encourages a few more Tim Cahills or Harry Kewells etc to keep playing at junior level, then great. And that's what is so important about the exposure this World Cup has given the sport in this country.

miccle

Bench
^^ Exactly right Macca.

The Socceroos, along with the growth and exposure of the A-League, will be a great thing for soccer in Australia.

I played for six years while growing up, but there was only a shaky NSL which was plagued with failure and infighting. There was no-one to look up to in the sport unless you looked at overseas leagues.

I know a lot of traditional football fans who follow the EPL and other comps are getting all narky about "bandwagoners" when it comes to the Socceroos, but let's face it - many of them are people like me who have played the game and love it, but it has been so unsuccessful in Australia for so many years.

I work hard and don't really like the style of football played in the EPL - I can't stay up til all hours of the night watching the sport so my knowledge of the players and clubs is limited. Does that make me a bandwagoner? Hell no.

I loved going to the A-League games at Suncorp last season, and I know that the World Cup will only make the upcoming comp a lot stronger when it comes to crowd support and merchandising.

There is a lot of room for this sport to grow in Australia, and IMO it will continue going from strength to strength in the coming years. It has HUGE junior participation levels, and now the kids will have something (A-League) to work towards and idolise, rather than giving up at 15 like I did because there wasn't much to achieve in the long run.

To reach the 2nd Round would be the greatest achievement.

America's cup? Let's be honest here, no one gives a f*ck about sailing.. You don't school kids running around the playground pretending to be the next (insert a boating persons name here). They will now all be running around pretending they are Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell or Lucas Neill.

To be 1-0 (to a goal which should have been disallowed) in the 83rd minute, and to win the game 3-1 showed incredible heart and courage and really showed that never say die attitude.

If by some miracle, we won the World Cup, nothing would ever top that achievement.

Latest posts