What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Souths backline

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Hopefully Hurrell doesn't become the next Dave Taylor.

He's the most powerful ball runner I've ever seen.

If he can stay fit and sort out his defence then he'll become the most destructive centre in the game.

Defensively he's improved considerably. It's the lack of effort off the ball (on D especially) that is holding him back.

If ever he "gets it" in regards to effort he'll be hard to contain, regardless of whether he's "in the top 17 of the team coming first or last."

BranVan3000

Coach
Actually I watch every Souths match, living with my roommate who follows them like nothing before does that to you. I don't mind, I'll watch any football anyway.

Goodwin was putrid in the centres last year, cost you a GF spot..what the heck makes you think he has improved. He makes dumb decisions after dumb errors. In short he is just a dumb footballer, every team has them but teams with less dumb footballers win premierships!

The penalty was for Reynolds I think being in front of Goodwin after he spilled an absolute soda!

He played injured in that game

BranVan3000

Coach
Why Souths would want Hurrell anyway is beyond me.

A 2015 backline containing Avuaa, Aaron Gray, Irea Simone and another winger looks pretty good too me.

Simone is about two years away and Aaron Gray will make a solid first grader but never excel IMO

Iafeta

Referee
What is he, 22 or 23, and already having weight and.fitness issues.

No thanks.

LOL - overweight. Take your hand off it. He came back overweight from the off-season, he is down to his playing weight now. Same playing weight he's had since he's come into first grade.

He's not having fitness issues. He has been left out for some issues around defensive effort. Notably one play where Nathan Friend threw an intercept to Trent Hodkinson late in a game and Hurrell didn't chase back. Other coaches have let him get away with it. McFadden isn't.

If he's overweight and having fitness issues, why on earth when he was playing just this year was he fair dinkum using blokes as speed humps?

Get with it champ. Might be worth trying to understand what is happening at the Warriors rather than take wide, unsubstantiated, baseless guesses from afar before commenting.

Iafeta

Referee
Hopefully Hurrell doesn't become the next Dave Taylor.

He's the most powerful ball runner I've ever seen.

If he can stay fit and sort out his defence then he'll become the most destructive centre in the game.

He's played 3 games this year. The Warriors have won 2 of those. The other game they lost by 1. They've won no other games. In the first game he came off the bench and scored a try almost instantly to change the game. In the second game he was involved in four try scoring movements. His ball running is fine. He just needs a bit of attitude adjustment and he's getting it from a coach who won't back down from a much needed culture change. I reckon this is the best thing that could have happened to him, among about 7-8 other Warriors as well.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Actually I watch every Souths match, living with my roommate who follows them like nothing before does that to you. I don't mind, I'll watch any football anyway.

Goodwin was putrid in the centres last year, cost you a GF spot..what the heck makes you think he has improved. He makes dumb decisions after dumb errors. In short he is just a dumb footballer, every team has them but teams with less dumb footballers win premierships!

The penalty was for Reynolds I think being in front of Goodwin after he spilled an absolute soda!

In the previous game against Manly in 2013, Goodwin was all over Lyon. Didn't give him any space at all.

The best game he's played.

I think the Sea Eagles learned from that.

kbw

Bench
Maybe $ouff$ keep a crap 2-5 just so fans don't worry too much about how useless their 5 & 7 are.

MrAnonymous

Bench
That's a very overly simplistic and inaccurate viewpoint.

If we were to rank positions in terms of importance you'd put 1, 7, 9 and the props at the top.

But quality outside backs are still crucial. Wingers in particular play a bigger role than ever imo.

If we had Merritt, Tuqiri and Goodwin instead of Tupou, RTS and Jennings then there is no way we win the comp last year. Jamie Lyon has arguably been Manlys most important player in making 4 GFs.

And there's plenty more examples just from the 2000s - alone of outside backs making the difference.

Rugby League is an overly simplistic game. Of course you would rather Quality 2-5 But if they're competent and you are strong where it matters you are going to win more games then you lose.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Goodwin, too slow. Got run down by Gillett over 20m.

Are our wingers coached to leave overlaps?

Cause they looked like there were overlaps all night.

BunniesMan

Immortal
All of a sudden our backline is filled with youth and energy and razzle dazzle and Goodwin.

Last edited:

GONZO72

Juniors
All of a sudden our backline is filled youth and energy and razzle dazzle and Goodwin.

Every Souths fan should pray that Inglis stays fit and healthy. He is their backline. On a positive, the effort last night should ensure Joel Reddy never plays in the top grade again. He is just garbage.

Latest posts