What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG

Juniors
I know that many of you couldn't care less about Brian Smith since he left, but there are also a few with a soft spot for him who are interested to see how he goes at the Knights.

Here's an update from the Newcastle forum on the impression he's made thus far. In accordance with their reputations, it sounds like Smithy and Hagan couldn't be a bigger contrast. It will certainly be intriguing to see how things pan out for their respective sides.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=162279

"This comes from a source of mine who's usually spot on!
Smith has been a revelation so far, the amount of work that the players are being expected to do is 10 X more than under supercoach.
Defensive drills, moves, positional plays, there is a much greater expectation on the players than under Supercoach.
Smith took all the coaching staff away for a weeks retreat, most of the attendees queried what they could possibly do for a whole week, all came back super impressed, Smith didn't repeat himself once during the week was the comment and the staff are amazed at the information covered during the week.
Smith is amazed at the lack of skills of the forwards both ball playing / catching and defensively and he is working them hard.
He is instilling a strong discipline, Supercoach was a 1/4 to, 1/4 past coach, by that I mean that if training was at 2pm then players would drift into from 1.45pm to 2.15pm and Supercoach would just shrug his shoulders. Under Smith they must be there in full kit ready to train at 1.45pm for a 2pm start.
All in all this guy said the club is a different place with Smith around and he said the players are really taking to the extra work and demands, he said it is a different club.”

Suitman

Post Whore
In ten years, those demands never won us a premiership.

We all saw what a slightly more relaxed attitude brought to Parra when Taylor came on board.

Time will tell how long it takes for the Newcastle players to get sick of the school teacher mentality.

On the other hand, he may win them a comp.

Who knows?

Suity

Parra Guru

Coach
I'm not going to make a comparison, but all I can say is that I am relieved that we have moved on from Smith.

BG

Juniors
Suitman said:
We all saw what a slightly more relaxed attitude brought to Parra when Taylor came on board.

A better performance than 2001 or 2005? I don't think so. Obviously the start of 2005 wasn't the highlight of Smithy's career. Just as obviously there were reasons for that.

Taylor is already an excellent coach, and might turn out to be a great one. But his inexperience cost Parra a chance at the title last year imho. I strongly believe that the club was set up at the end of 2005 to take last year's premiership. No one will ever know what would have happened if Smithy's contract had been extended and there hadn't been so much early-season uncertainty over many of the players' futures. But imho, the club threw away its best chance at a premiership in over 20 years.

BG

Juniors
Suitman said:
Time will tell how long it takes for the Newcastle players to get sick of the school teacher mentality.

No, time will tell how long it takes for Ray Hadlee to keep peddling that myth. "School teacher mentality" suggests that Smithy is patronising to his team. But there are a stack of great players who have been coached by him who aver that nothing could be further from the truth. Of course their actual knowledge of the man's coaching can't compete with the hot air blown into the public mindset by Raaay. I

I'm sure Smithy wishes he had a premiership under his belt. But I bet he wouldn't take one in a trade for the enormous regard in which he is held by most of the players he has coached.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Hagan might be crap but atleast he's got a premiership to show for the time at Newcastle. Other than that, Newcastle was pretty dominant in some of the other years too.

Eelementary

Post Whore
If it was a decent comparison, then bring it on.

Way I see it, that is just a laof of anti-Hagan, pro-Smith garbage.

Utey

Coach
Brian Smith was unreal for what he did to our club, not just on the field but off it. I think he could be a great asset to Newy if the pressure isn't on him immediately to perform, meaning he gets a few early wins. His style could thrive at Newy or it could fail miserably.

He has my respect.

Suity raises a really good point though, so I'll guess we will see...

btaag

Juniors
Matty Johns echoed what a few of us have thought on the "Roast" middle of last year - BS is great at setting up a structure and discipline in a club, but should have left 2-3 years ago. Hagan will come in and build on that structure, refreashing the side and getting more out of players long since used to Smiths "rise to the occaision" approach.

I also think Newcastle will profit from having one of the games best rebuilding coaches coaching them - by the time Johns retires, Mullin et. al will be established and at least competitive, whereas it all might have fallen in a heap if another coach had taken control.

Stagger eel

Staff member
You want comparisons???...ok?? I'll give it to you...I've had more than one player say to me that they've never been happier with Hages at the Helm, he's a breath of fresh air a wonderful person, a great coach and a person to whom they would love to perform for..One player said to me that it's great to turn up to training without the fear of being publically ridiculed infront of his mates and they've actually enjoy doing the dirty work in the off season.

There you have it.

parra pete

Referee
I am a Brian Smith fan..Always have been....
He has moved on, so should the Eels.
Good luck to Brian with the Knights..Better luck for Mick Hagan with the Eels....

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'll always have a soft spot for Smithy but things happen and people move on and there are 6 other new coach's at other clubs that are also being talked up in the same manner.

btaag

Juniors
BS can turn the Knights into a top two team...as long as we win it all under Hagan - Go Parra!!!

Pazza

First Grade
Brian Smith did great things for this club but i think its time for a more relaxed attitude

Jono078

Referee
I love how the comparisons are already starting.

I say wait a few years and see what each coach can do for their club.

Anyway goodluck to the Eels, they should benefit from having Hagan in the short term. Smith set them up as a team and with some structure, now they have Hagan who has played in many big games and been successful in some and is relaxed so that should suit the Eels.

We have Brian Smith who can bring new ideas for us and let our players learn more about the game of league and bring in a plan for life after Joey.

Either way I think we both have done alright with signing our coaches.

Good luck Eels.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jono078 said:
I love how the comparisons are already starting.

I say wait a few years and see what each coach can do for their club.

Anyway goodluck to the Eels, they should benefit from having Hagan in the short term. Smith set them up as a team and with some structure, now they have Hagan who has played in many big games and been successful in some and is relaxed so that should suit the Eels.

We have Brian Smith who can bring new ideas for us and let our players learn more about the game of league and bring in a plan for life after Joey.

Either way I think we both have done alright with signing our coaches.

Good luck Eels.

Smithy will be fantastic for you guys...the only question will be whether Knights management can realise that some of his great ideas can actually cost a bit of money, they need to cooperate with him to get the best out of him and the resources he's prepared to put in the joint because at the moment that's lacking big time at Newi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts