What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederick

Staff member
eelavation said:
Smithy will be fantastic for you guys...the only question will be whether Knights management can realise that some of his great ideas can actually cost a bit of money, they need to cooperate with him to get the best out of him and the resources he's prepared to put in the joint because at the moment that's lacking big time at Newi.
Money shouldn't prove to be a big problem, what with our reaching an agreement with Western Suburbs Leagues Club up here for financial backing. The club also has a brand new state of the art training facility at Club Phoenix at Mayfield. And recently they flew Smithy and a few other coaching staff and players over to NZ to gather some info from the All Blacks, in return for us training Piri Weepu for a week. So don't you worry your pretty little head about our financial and resources situation - we're a far cry from the team that almost had to declare bankruptcy in 2005 :p

Stagger eel

Staff member
Captain_Fred said:
Money shouldn't prove to be a big problem, what with our reaching an agreement with Western Suburbs Leagues Club up here for financial backing. The club also has a brand new state of the art training facility at Club Phoenix at Mayfield. And recently they flew Smithy and a few other coaching staff and players over to NZ to gather some info from the All Blacks, in return for us training Piri Weepu for a week. So don't you worry your pretty little head about our financial and resources situation - We're a far cry from the team that almost had to declare bankruptcy in 2005 :p

that's fantastic news..it's just unfortunate that Hages couldn't take full advantage of it while he was there, maybe it was because wasn't readily available to him at the time. well you can thank Hages and Seargent for making it aware to club officials that they club needed to move forward by spending money :p

cardinal

Juniors
Captain_Fred said:
Money shouldn't prove to be a big problem, what with our reaching an agreement with Western Suburbs Leagues Club up here for financial backing. The club also has a brand new state of the art training facility at Club Phoenix at Mayfield. And recently they flew Smithy and a few other coaching staff and players over to NZ to gather some info from the All Blacks, in return for us training Piri Weepu for a week. So don't you worry your pretty little head about our financial and resources situation - we're a far cry from the team that almost had to declare bankruptcy in 2005 :p

Great the Knights should be unstopable in the rucks and mauls then.:roll:

BG

Juniors
Twizzle said:
results speak for themselves

I take it you think Guus Hiddink doesn't rate as a soccer coach because he hasn't won a World Cup?

Also how overrated is Nathan Hindmarsh? He hasn't won a premiership.

BG

Juniors
eelavation said:
I've had more than one player say to me that they've never been happier with Hages at the Helm, he's a breath of fresh air a wonderful person, a great coach and a person to whom they would love to perform for...

Was one of them Fuifui? Maybe he's looking forward to going back to training for ten minutes, and recapturing the stella form of his pre-Brian Smith days. ;-)

(only kidding)

Eelementary

Post Whore
Smithy's a legend, but...

A plan after Joey?

If you know anything about Brian Smith, you would know that halves aren't exactly his specialty...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
Smithy's a legend, but...

A plan after Joey?

If you know anything about Brian Smith, you would know that halves aren't exactly his specialty...

Smithy has not ever up until now, had great halves at his disposal and he still made 3 Grand Finals and hages has really had one halfback in his firstgrade coaching career?? so I'm sorry Eele if we're comparing the 2 coach's abilities we should never pick on 1 particular position to do it..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
BG said:
I take it you think Guus Hiddink doesn't rate as a soccer coach because he hasn't won a World Cup?

Also how overrated is Nathan Hindmarsh? He hasn't won a premiership.

ummm....................Hindy doesn't coach us

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
wow BG, i was gunna agree with some of your points, and wish you guys luck, then you just got nasty :p

noosa-eel

Juniors
BG in case you have forgotten footy is a team sport, so saying Nathan hasn't won a premiership is stupid as the eels are a team not a 1 man band....:shock:

Frederick

Staff member
cardinal said:
Great the Knights should be unstopable in the rucks and mauls then.:roll:
Umm, the info they were gaining was more about the behind-the-scenes stuff - running and management of the team, training and recovery schedules etc. Obviously very little on-field stuff because it's a completely different game. Although, when Piri was over here and participating in some passing drills, apparently he can throw a spiral cut-out pass like you wouldn't believe...some that even made Joey's jaw drop, so I'm sure my boys have picked up one or two tips from Piri :p

Frederick

Staff member
noosa-eel said:
BG in case you have forgotten footy is a team sport, so saying Nathan hasn't won a premiership is stupid as the eels are a team not a 1 man band....:shock:
Same goes for all those who blame Smithy for the 2001 loss ;-)

Bigfella

Coach
We all saw what a slightly more relaxed attitude brought to Parra when Taylor came on board

Taylor got us to the finals without winning a final. Did he achieve anything more than Smith achieved in previous years?

Anyway, what all of these posts reflect is that each coach has different strengths and weaknesses. Each club is at a point where they will probably benefit from the points of difference that each coach will bring.

Hagan has a good record in that he has won a comp in 5 years of first grade coaching. Smith has an excellent record in that he has consistently coached teams (and clubs) to all round standards of excellence, marred by an absence of a premiership.

Taylor for mine is still an unknown quantity who inherited a fantastic squad in a position where he had nothing to lose, and did fairly well without actually taking our players to any new heights. And in any case, he was enormously influenced by Brian Smith, so if we were keen to punt Smith I don't see why we should have retained JT.

Hagan is our coach now, so I wish him and the players he will coach all the best.

The Colonel

Immortal
Captain_Fred said:
Same goes for all those who blame Smithy for the 2001 loss ;-)

Not necessarily. As a coach he is expected to prepare the team properly for a game. It has been well argued that the team was not prepared properly to start that match. While he isn't solely responsible he still carries a good deal of blame for that loss.

Hard to make a comparison at this stage. Not knowing much about what is going on at Newcastle it is hard to judge. It will be interesting to see how the players handle Smiths intensity well into the season. For a club with a reputation as being remarkably laid back, how they respond will be fascinating to watch it unfold. Also how well Smithy handles the fish bowl nature of Newcastle and its fans will be interesting. Parramatta fans are quite intense at times but that intensity is dwarfed by that of Newcastle IMO.

It will also be interesting to see how Knights fans respond to Smithys decisions based on his continual need to one up himself each year. Those decisions have caused much heartache in Parramatta in the past, especially when players who have left enjoy successes at other clubs. It will also be interesting to see what latitude he enjoys from a Knights management who have often been reluctant to make changes themselves.

Hagan has, by a few reports, made training a much more enjoyable occassion than what it usually was under Smith, as eela has already mentioned. I'm sure we are in for some interesting decisions that will test us along the way. Having already "enjoyed" many of Smithys decisions will hopefully make it easier to digest.

2007 will be an interesting time for both clubs.....

Frederick

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Not necessarily. As a coach he is expected to prepare the team properly for a game. It has been well argued that the team was not prepared properly to start that match. While he isn't solely responsible he still carries a good deal of blame for that loss.
Knew I'd get a bite ;-)

The Colonel said:
Hard to make a comparison at this stage. Not knowing much about what is going on at Newcastle it is hard to judge. It will be interesting to see how the players handle Smiths intensity well into the season.
From all reports, the players are loving the pre-season training, because it's so intense, which is a far-cry from the last few years...although Smithy hasn't got them running up and down the sand dunes of Stockton this year :p

The Colonel said:
For a club with a reputation as being remarkably laid back, how they respond will be fascinating to watch it unfold.
This is why Smith will be perfect for us. The Knights are well known for their laid-back, and at times, pathetic defense. There's nothing wrong with out attack, although when we run up a big score on teams, we have a tendancy to shut-up shop early. Hopefully Smith can drill this out of the players, so that the intensity is kept up for the whole 80 minutes.

The Colonel said:
Also how well Smithy handles the fish bowl nature of Newcastle and its fans will be interesting. Parramatta fans are quite intense at times but that intensity is dwarfed by that of Newcastle IMO.
I remember reading an interview with Smith in the local paper, and he said he was loving the lifestyle up here. He went on to say that one time when he was riding the elevator down from his room at the hotel he was temporarily staying at, when he arrvied at the lobby and the doors opened, there was a person waiting for the lift, and instantly recognised Smith, so Smith stayed in the elevator and rode all the way back to that guys floor, talking footy with that guy.

The Colonel said:
It will also be interesting to see how Knights fans respond to Smithys decisions based on his continual need to one up himself each year. Those decisions have caused much heartache in Parramatta in the past, especially when players who have left enjoy successes at other clubs.
Mate, as long as the Knights field a team each week, we'll be turning out in our droves (see first half of 2005 ;-))

The Colonel said:
It will also be interesting to see what latitude he enjoys from a Knights management who have often been reluctant to make changes themselves.
That was more a problem with ex-chairman Ken Conway. Since he's made way, changes have been made...having money does help too though :p

The Colonel said:
2007 will be an interesting time for both clubs.....
Certainly will :)

The Colonel

Immortal
Captain_Fred said:
From all reports, the players are loving the pre-season training, because it's so intense, which is a far-cry from the last few years...although Smithy hasn't got them running up and down the sand dunes of Stockton this year :p

I'm sure many of the players enjoy it. Now. I know a lot of Parramatta players did initially to. Coaches like Brian Smith and Ricky Stuart grind down players over time with their intensity. Some players respond and many others don't.

This is why Smith will be perfect for us. The Knights are well known for their laid-back, and at times, pathetic defense. There's nothing wrong with out attack, although when we run up a big score on teams, we have a tendancy to shut-up shop early. Hopefully Smith can drill this out of the players, so that the intensity is kept up for the whole 80 minutes.

Firstly in regard to on-field - take a long look at the losing finals matches for Parramatta in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

But as it was I wasn't talking about the on field stuff. I'm sure Smithy will will work hard on defence, as that is something he prides his coaching on. It is how the internal nature of the club itself handles the much more intense nature of the coach who is very much in your face 24/7. Changes will be made in certain areas and how the club itself responds to what well could be unpopular, at the time, changes.

I remember reading an interview with Smith in the local paper, and he said he was loving the lifestyle up here. He went on to say that one time when he was riding the elevator down from his room at the hotel he was temporarily staying at, when he arrvied at the lobby and the doors opened, there was a person waiting for the lift, and instantly recognised Smith, so Smith stayed in the elevator and rode all the way back to that guys floor, talking footy with that guy.

Smithy is a very approachable person and always willing to talk. The fish bowl nature I talk of is the added intensity of being a one team town. The media scrutiny, the public scrutiny. While Brian can be very personable at times he tends not to divulge much information to the people that matter most......

Mate, as long as the Knights field a team each week, we'll be turning out in our droves (see first half of 2005 ;-))

I'm sure they will. The changes didn't necessarily mean Parra fans didn't turn up. I'm just wondering how long before the happiness surrounding the new coach turns around like it did with Hagan.

strider

Post Whore
I don't really have anything to quote, but it seems like the done thing, so I'll do it also :D

I think a change is good for both clubs - should get people interested again cos they are doing different things

... and here's another pretend quote just for the sake of it

Mind you, one concern i have so far with Hages is that I've seen many players and even Hages say something along the lines of "We aren't doing much different" .... my concern is that, I want em to do stuff different FFS - thats the whole advantage of the coach change - a change is as good as a holiday! .... maybe they were just saying sh*t for something to say.

... and here's an ending false quote to polish things off

cheers :D

Utey

Coach
Bigfella said:
Taylor got us to the finals without winning a final. Did he achieve anything more than Smith achieved in previous years?

Anyway, what all of these posts reflect is that each coach has different strengths and weaknesses. Each club is at a point where they will probably benefit from the points of difference that each coach will bring.

Hagan has a good record in that he has won a comp in 5 years of first grade coaching. Smith has an excellent record in that he has consistently coached teams (and clubs) to all round standards of excellence, marred by an absence of a premiership.

Taylor for mine is still an unknown quantity who inherited a fantastic squad in a position where he had nothing to lose, and did fairly well without actually taking our players to any new heights. And in any case, he was enormously influenced by Brian Smith, so if we were keen to punt Smith I don't see why we should have retained JT.

Hagan is our coach now, so I wish him and the players he will coach all the best.

Quality! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts