What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Immortal
Have to ask a few questions about that strider character. Are there too many kangaroos loose in his top paddock?

Not sure about kangaroos. Snakes and spiders seemingly cause the bloke nightmares.

Surely he can't be this strange

I don't think he's ever been the same since that brush with the dinosaur. Personally I think he has far too much time on his hands and needs to get a job.....

parra pete

Referee
Brian Smith OVER ACHIEVED rather than UNDER ACHIEVED with the players he had at both St George and Parramatta...

fish eel

Immortal
parra pete said:
Brian Smith OVER ACHIEVED rather than UNDER ACHIEVED with the players he had at both St George and Parramatta...

I'd agree with that statement in regards to St George.

However, I think at parramatta, 10 years to mould the club and have us head in any direction he desired on the field... with the young talent that came through, I think making just one grand final was an underachievement.

strider

Post Whore
i agree with pete - he overachieved .... we are one of those chock full of rep player type teams that you'd expect to be in GFs regularly - I think St George have been the massive underachievers in recent times

i think we get a bit carried away with some of our players at times - when we were going well the players all seemed like superstars to us the parra fans - but in reality they were just good players confident and contributing well together as a team

BG

Juniors
JessEel said:
wow BG, i was gunna agree with some of your points, and wish you guys luck, then you just got nasty :p

Aww, come on now Jess, I was only replying to some points in other people's posts. A little humour can sometimes illustrate a point better than longwinded deadly seriousness. Have a good look at the citations I was replying to, and I did write "just kidding" under one of my posts. :)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Oh geez here we go.

Brian Smiths Parramatta highlights

- Took over a side in 1997 which had the likes off to build on

- Jarrod McCraken
- Jason Smith
- John Simon
- Dean Pay
- Jim Dymock
- Jason Bell
- Aaron Raper
- Chris King
- Troy Campbell
- Dallas Weston
- Chris Lawyer ( this guy had potential )
etc

That was a pretty good starting block for any coach, however it didn't go to plan.

1998- Choked
1999- see above
2000- see above
2001- see above
again
again
again
again
again

2005- Why were we minor premiers? well we did buy the likes of Riddell, PJ, Tahu to already compliment Hindmarsh, Cayless, Widders, Burt, McKinnon, Grothe etc

Pretty expensive coach........

How many times has he been voted coach least liked to be coached under?

Smith had the resources, funds, training facilities, players, coaches, backing everything!!! yet he still couldn't deliver.

He trys to be too innovative sometimes, but someone has to tell him that he was innovative in 2001, not anymore, teams need big packs, not 90kg backrowers, the up and in defense kills that idea these days.

Structures in place? what structures?...what juniors now go through the grade?. I'm sure any decent caoch can provide this, even Hagan utilised his juniors more then Smith.

Just so glad he isn't here anymore to purchase duds and to let go quality players eg Ryan, Tonga, Mogg, I Hindy, Lyon etc

Also, it's well documented that BS trained teams are nervous teams, wait for those big gameslol hence the chokes.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
BS only brought professionalism, and any coach would've made an impact on our side considering who we had as the previous coached.

El Diablo

Post Whore
sometimes i wonder if people have been watching any Parra games in the last 10 years

from the knights thread

antonius said:
I like what I've been reading re our forwards and the plans Smith has for them, Johns will lead the backs around as he always has, the forwards will now have an ethic to live up to, it wont be "you're in because you were in last week and I like you" anymore.

Smith plays pets like no other i've seen. i don't expect him to suddenly change now.

BG

Juniors
noosa-eel said:
BG in case you have forgotten footy is a team sport, so saying Nathan hasn't won a premiership is stupid as the eels are a team not a 1 man band....:shock:

Noosa, in case you'd forgotten dialogue is not a 1 person activity either.

Now, take a deep breath, engage the brain, turn off your "take everything literally" switch, make sure you haven't been sniffing anything Wendell Sailor sent you in the post, have a close read of the citation I was replying to, and see if you can get anywhere near the point.

If all else fails see Capt Fred's post.

Now somebody get me a bodyguard before Jess decides I'm being Mr Nasty again! :sarcasm:

The Colonel

Immortal
How about you play nice with the natives as well....... regardless of who or what you are replying to.

Jono078

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
Just so glad he isn't here anymore to purchase duds and to let go quality players eg Ryan, Tonga, Mogg, I Hindy, Lyon etc
Did you not see who Knights lost since 2001 and who we've gained?

I mean atleast you guys got players like Moimoi, Mckinnon, Tahu, Riddell, Morrison etc!

BG

Juniors
Bigfella said:
Taylor got us to the finals without winning a final. Did he achieve anything more than Smith achieved in previous years?

Anyway, what all of these posts reflect is that each coach has different strengths and weaknesses. Each club is at a point where they will probably benefit from the points of difference that each coach will bring.

Hagan has a good record in that he has won a comp in 5 years of first grade coaching. Smith has an excellent record in that he has consistently coached teams (and clubs) to all round standards of excellence, marred by an absence of a premiership.

Taylor for mine is still an unknown quantity who inherited a fantastic squad in a position where he had nothing to lose, and did fairly well without actually taking our players to any new heights. And in any case, he was enormously influenced by Brian Smith, so if we were keen to punt Smith I don't see why we should have retained JT.

Hagan is our coach now, so I wish him and the players he will coach all the best.

Careful, Bigfella, any more posts like that and you might find yourself in the position of props who get kicked out of the frontrowers club for showing glimpses of cerebral activity.

A well-balance, well-written, objective and convincing overview.

It really doesn't belong on this forum! ;-)

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
BG said:
Careful, Bigfella, any more posts like that and you might find yourself in the position of props who get kicked out of the frontrowers club for showing glimpses of cerebral activity.

A well-balance, well-written, objective and convincing overview.

It really doesn't belong on this forum! ;-)

hahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol:

BG

Juniors
The Colonel said:
How about you play nice with the natives as well.......

But, Colonel sir, I did not start it sir, Noosa called me "stupeed"! :(

regardless of who or what you are replying to.

Try telling that to the bloke who had his head inside a shark's gob.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jono078 said:
Did you not see who Knights lost since 2001 and who we've gained?

Outside of retirement who did you really lose that was at the top of their game and went on to something bigger at another club? Timana Tahu and Ben Kennedy - who else? O'Davis, Mark Hughes weren't exactly killing it whn they left.

I mean atleast you guys got players like Moimoi, Mckinnon, Tahu, Riddell, Morrison etc!

Moimoi was more of a surprise selction from the 50 cent lucky dip at a school carnival and one of Brians pet projects that actually turned out right. Michael Wicks, Ian Herron, Chris Quinn, Ben Kusto, Dean Raper and a number of others are examples of Brians lucky dips that didn't turn out as well as what Moimoi did. That is another thing you'll have to get used to.

The other thing is we didn't have the likes of Johns and Buderus taking up the majority of our salary cap.

strider

Post Whore
i don't think BG has been naughty - i'm glad he made this thread to talk footy related, we need footy damnit!

Status
Not open for further replies.