What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
I posted this on the TV ratings thread but it is relevant here.... We need a similar deal to this. I think we get lost in the 1.2billion but the real success for them was getting the following free to air exposure:

Then cross your fingers that 10 gets up.

Kirky

Juniors
TBH I couldn't care less about the dollar figure anymore, I just want Raiders games on FTA into Canberra, in the same way that Adelaide AFL games are on FTA into Adelaide, Perth AFL games are on FTA into Perth, etc, etc.

I'll be judging our deal less on $$ and more on what it actually delivers to fans around the country.

Paul J

Juniors
$1 billion from Nine/Foxtel is a great starting point in negotiations.

Ten/Seven can trump whichever games they want. Nine will have to trump them back.

And i think it would be impossible that the ARLC haven't addressed the issue of Nine hoarding games right off the bat.

I think things are looking very good indeed.

nrlnrl

First Grade
TBH I couldn't care less about the dollar figure anymore, I just want Raiders games on FTA into Canberra, in the same way that Adelaide AFL games are on FTA into Adelaide, Perth AFL games are on FTA into Perth, etc, etc.

I'll be judging our deal less on $$ and more on what it actually delivers to fans around the country.

Yeah, I think too many people are obsessed with the finances rather than the deal itself.

Sure the amount is important, but what those right holders do with the coverage is paramount. How many times do people complain about Friday & Sunday games that aren't shown live, let alone at a decent time ? ( for fans in what Channel 9 have treated as "non rugby league areas" ) or a higher percentage available on FTA ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The way we rugby league types harp on bout this is pathetic really.

Rugby League can attract double the audience on television, but there are much fewer opportunities for advertisers to buy airtime and the FTA networks to generate revenue off the broadcast rights asset. This reduces the asset value and the prospective $$$ the NRL can receive from its sale.

The higher numbers mean shit if the NRL can't find a way to exploit them and make it more attractive for the FTA broadcasters to make some decent coin out of it.

Big boys play with money, not feel good numbers.

We don't need as much money as the AFL; we just need enough that they can't poach our players.

The bigger TV audiences are just for prestige - they don't need to translate to more money.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
We don't need as much money as the AFL; we just need enough that they can't poach our players.

The bigger TV audiences are just for prestige - they don't need to translate to more money.

Different approach, players come and go.

We need as much money as possible to ensure as many people are playing the game as possible in Australia, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG, etc etc.

Id say a $6million cap is enough to stop players going to Union, which is enough IMO.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My only concern is that the game panders to the lowest level of skill, you dont even need to be able to catch a ball to play it which could offer people with low skill levels or social outcasts a place to feel welcome.

Don't forget soccer has the highest participation rates in the rugby league world for that exact reason.

So even if more kids on the east coast start playing AFL it will be the same kids who play soccer - the ones that lack the strength, aggression or confidence for rugby league.

It's about which sport gives a kid the most 'street cred' (if he's good enough that he has to choose) - the most athletic kids in the U.S. for example, pick football (when they're forced to choose) because it's confers more status.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Expect this bidding War to heat up real fast. 9 won't give up the rights without a desperate fight that could see them sacrifice funding for some of its other shows to retain the League.

They can't afford to be the only network that doesn't televise any sport.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Different approach, players come and go.

We need as much money as possible to ensure as many people are playing the game as possible in Australia, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG, etc etc.

I don't think the amount of adults playing the game matters - it's viewers that matter in the end.

The amount of kids playing matters in as much as that's where the players of the future will come from, but if a kid isn't getting paid to play rugby league by the age of 18 he never will. Any exceptions just prove the rule.

And we don't need kids to be playing the game to translate into adults watching it, because even kids that play soccer watch the NRL.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Ray Warren couldn't spot a bus at 30ft, why would anyone trust him?

Nine would be telling him they have the rights sewn up so he cant start looking to get out of his deal and move to Seven/Ten.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.