What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

juro

Bench
Didn't Packer screw Stokes by making Stokes pay overs for the AFL? So the reverse would see Stokes make Nine bid far beyond their limit to hold onto the NRL rights. Whether or not Seven actually want the NRL, they want whoever else gets it paying as much as possible for it.

Didn't Packer screw Stokes by making Stokes pay overs for the AFL? So the reverse would see Stokes make Nine bid far beyond their limit to hold onto the NRL rights. Whether or not Seven actually want the NRL, they want whoever else gets it paying as much as possible for it.

Obviously not given Sevens current financial strength.

I agree that the loser will want the winner to pay the absolute maximum, and that Seven have by far the deeper pockets, but Stokes is a smart enough businessman that we won't risk his own station just to take down Nine (just like Murdoch wont pay overs just because "he's a league fan").

As the saying goes, he might be willing to play Russian Roulette with a six shooter, but he won't play it with a Glock.

But I'm just guessing, so I'll leave it to Doc from here on in. He's the man in the know. Keep it up Doc.

docbrown

Coach
Obviously not given Sevens current financial strength.

I agree that the loser will want the winner to pay the absolute maximum, and that Seven have by far the deeper pockets, but Stokes is a smart enough businessman that we won't risk his own station just to take down Nine (just like Murdoch wont pay overs just because "he's a league fan").

As the saying goes, he might be willing to play Russian Roulette with a six shooter, but he won't play it with a Glock.

But I'm just guessing, so I'll leave it to Doc from here on in. He's the man in the know. Keep it up Doc.

http://www.afr.com/p/business/marketing_media/leckie_seven_ate_nine_and_ten_Cgj47CnLcizdyxkvuQ0MQM

Well some key quotes from this article, mostly from Leckie -

So says Seven West Media chief executive David Leckie. In a typically robust interview with The Australian Financial Review, the veteran executive predicts Seven will continue a record-breaking ratings performance in 2012 that has seen the network grab the lion’s share of the $3 billion capital city free-to-air television advertising market.

In some regional markets however they still pull up second to 9.

Seven fought the move in the Federal Court and Warburton has inherited a challenged line-up from previous chief executive Lachlan Murdoch that includes a misfiring breakfast program and no mainstream sport. It is no secret that Seven executives have taken a certain amount of pleasure from Ten’s poor overall ratings in 2012.
“We have so many programs coming up,” Leckie says. “The big story should be that Ten has got absolutely nothing. We aren’t being bitchy about it – it’s true. Ten has got nothing. It’s amazing. That’s why they are out there cutting rates by about 30 per cent.”
Ten and Nine have been forced to cut ad rates for underperforming shows although both networks deny the reductions have been as much as 30 per cent.

Seven has also dominated revenue numbers from data company SMI with a 40 per cent share in February compared with 35.3 per cent for Nine and 25.1 per cent for Ten (a far cry from the 30 per cent share Murdoch hinted at last year).
The one downside for Seven is that the free-to-air ad market is still soft, making it harder for the network to make the most of its numbers.
Leckie is quick to jump on reports in industry publication AdNews that describe Ten as the “overflow network”. The reference to “overflow” suggests Seven is in such a strong position that it cannot absorb any more ad money, leaving Ten to soak up the excess.
“I know that Ten likes to describe itself as the overflow network,” Leckie says. “But goodness me – I’d rather be in the dam. I can tell you that we won’t be losing ground. We will hold the line. Because I’ve never seen a network in such great shape. Never ever. I’m not going to crush my inventory by slashing the rates.”

And he won't.

Leckie admits there are things he would still like to change. The strong performance of Nine news in Sydney, for example, is a source of frustration. “I can tell you every morning when we see the ratings at 8.30 we are acting like we are number 2,” he says. “There are always little spots that we can fix up.

They've been looking at how they can break 9's news cycle and the key is Sunday - hence the introduction of a follow on news magazine programme.

Control Sundays, control the week.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Hey Dave Leckie, hows about you just buy the Sunday section off the NRL, a live 2pm game and a live 4pm game,, that finishes at 5.59.59...

Happy to let it go for $100M a year..

Including sunday semi's but not GF

For 30 weeks its only $3.3 Million a week...

If it wins you 30 sunday nights in Sydney and Bris its worth it...

Imagine Nine 2 Friday Night games = $80 Mill a year
Fox 3 Sat Games = $60 Mill a year ( All other games simulcast - 5 minute delay )
Sunday 7 2 games = $100M a year
Monday 10 = $60 Mill a year

$300 Mill a year over 5 years $1.5Billion

Plus $ 50 Mill for SOO

Oh and $10 Mill for Toyota Cup

It's standard business practice. If you're not going to get it the best result is to make your competitor pay massive overs for it.

There is no reason to believe it won't happen in this instance.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Hey Dave Leckie, hows about you just buy the Sunday section off the NRL, a live 2pm game and a live 4pm game,, that finishes at 5.59.59...

Happy to let it go for $100M a year..

Including sunday semi's but not GF

For 30 weeks its only $3.3 Million a week...

If it wins you 30 sunday nights in Sydney and Bris its worth it...

Imagine Nine 2 Friday Night games = $80 Mill a year
Fox 3 Sat Games = $60 Mill a year ( All other games simulcast - 5 minute delay )
Sunday 7 2 games = $100M a year
Monday 10 = $60 Mill a year

$300 Mill a year over 5 years $1.5Billion

Plus $ 50 Mill for SOO

Oh and $10 Mill for Toyota Cup

I love your enthusiasm. Would be a glorious payout.

Ten and seven are going to need a miracle to get the rights. Fox and nine have basically teamed up and good luck beating Murdoch.

Status
Not open for further replies.