What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

meltiger

First Grade
You can't make any kind of assessment on the Victorian ratings.

#1 - The decision was made what 24-48 hours in advance, it needs time to settle an audience.

#2 - It competed against one of Melbourne's bigger AFL contests for the season in not only two of Melbourne's bigger clubs, BUT also clubs expected to be vying for a GF spot. The AFL game did actually go live in Melbourne on FTA

Quidgybo

Bench
Of course I can make an assessment. An initial assessment. I'm not going to be unfair about it, I recognise we're starting from nothing against the local juggernaut. But long term we've got to be able to pull a respectable figure despite the best the AFL can throw at us. I'm not disappointed we only drew 26k in Melbourne or 3k in Perth. We've got to start somewhere and every extra viewer we picked up this week is one viewer we didn't have last week. If after a full season of this sort of coverage we've gone no further *then* I'll be disappointed.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe someone in the know could answer me this question that has always perplexed me. I am led to believe that there are 500 boxes in Perth recording peoples viewing habits and that gets extrapolated up to the 2million population. Now that would mean each box represents 4000 people. So how do they come up with a figure sub 4K? Surely that would mean no box was watching RL on Friday night so how do they decide 0 or 3,999 people may have tuned in?

How do you get an Oztam box? If me and my 10 RL loving mates could get one each at home the viewing figures for Perth would be an extra 40K a game!

Given the Sunday game got 20k in Perth I find it hard to believe the 6.30 game only got 3k.

El Diablo

Post Whore
you could get a figure if boxes were worth say 2,000 viewers and you only watched half the game then it would average as 1,000

TV stations and others get detailed reports that give 15 minute increments

docbrown

Coach
As El Diablo said, it's the ratings for each quarter divided by the number of quarters over the programme length.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
So the questions I'd like to see answered in the coming days...

1) How do the free to air figures compare to the late night replays in the past few weeks (more so for Adelaide and Perth due to the Storm skew on the Melbourne figure)?

2) Did the figures for the late night Fox replays take a hit due to the earlier free to air coverage?

3) What were the figures for regional Victoria?

4) Did the late night replays still go ahead on Nine's main channel, what were the figures, and how do they compare to the past few weeks.

5) How do the figures compare to the GEM figures for the same timeslots over the past few weeks in the minor states?

I'd like to get some sort of picture how many viewers we added with the more accessible coverage and how many viewers we simply shifted from one timeslot to another. And I'd like to get an idea how much of a hit Nine took showing the games instead of their alternative GEM programming.

Leigh.

Excellent questions, hope someone in the know can shed some light.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
I've actually been to a live game of womens afl and the lack of skill is outstanding! Its a bunch of primarily lesbian and expat Victorians fumbling around like a bunch of 6 year olds.

If you thought afl is un-watchable either live or in person at the top level, going to watch the local fumble fest will surely turn you off.

My only concern is that the game panders to the lowest level of skill, you dont even need to be able to catch a ball to play it which could offer people with low skill levels or social outcasts a place to feel welcome.

I personally know 2 women afl players in Sydney; 1 is a lesbian and the other is about to enroll in the nunnery. Im 100% serious.

Canucks

Juniors
How many games of AFL are on FTA TV? It looks to me like all of them are on FTA tv in at least one market, and then exclusive to fox in the others, eg Suns vs Adelaide live 7mate in QLD and 7 in Adelaide, Fox for everyone else....

If the AFL have all or most of their games on FTA they will probably see a massive spike in their ratings.

Thats a massive boost for them, and something the NRL need to urgently address....

Super Rugby sucks because its stuck on Fox (and because Rugby is shite), yet people forget that there are NRL teams stuck with the same restrictions....

Would the next broadcasters allow a deal where the Raiders games were broadcast into Canberra or the Knights games broadcast into the Hunter? If the Raiders get on FTA down there it would be huge for the club....

undertaker

Coach
Would the next broadcasters allow a deal where the Raiders games were broadcast into Canberra or the Knights games broadcast into the Hunter? If the Raiders get on FTA down there it would be huge for the club....

Canucks, fantastic point right there. I'd 100% be in favour of that, just like it used to be.

As a Knights supporter, I remember NBN used to cover non-Ch9 Knights matches (as well as Gold Coast Chargers matches, as I remember watching the Bulldogs/Chargers game in '96) up until end of 2002. Either they took the telecast from Fox/Optus, or they broadcasted the match themselves, called by Mike Rabbitt. Cowboys used to get their games covered on WIN in their first couple of years (Jason Costigan used to call their matches). Broncos fans were the luckiest: they got non-Ch9 (Sydney) matches televised into Brisbane until as recently as Rd 26 2006 vs Warriors. I'm not sure about the regional areas of other teams (i.e. Illawarra Steelers, Canberra, South QLD) and whether or not they had matches televised.

But yeah, the situation involving Rd 7 with Canberra watching the Broncos/Raiders match live should also be allowed for those other regional areas stated above. NBN and WIN should exercise the capacity to be able to do this

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
A similar sort of thing is done for NFL Monday and Thurday night matches in the States. If the local team is playing then the game is simulcast on local FTA in addition to the national telecast on ESPN or the NFL Network.

The problem with guaranteed local market coverage is it does devalue the subscription television rights to a degree, more so if each game is on top of the existing three FTA games. We could mitigate that a little by strictly limiting each market to three (or whatever) FTA matches while still allowing local coverage. So if the local team is playing on Saturday night or Monday that game would be simulcast on local FTA but the local market wouldn't get the second Friday night game that week. If you wanted to see more than three FTA games, including any blacked out Friday night game, you'd still need to pay Fox.

Leigh.

Last edited:

PaddyBoy

Juniors
How about regional free to air for away games, you need Fox for games in the city you are in? Promotes home crowds and makes sure people will either need foxtel or to go to the games to see them at home while keeping aware of what is going on?

docbrown

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...p-for-rights-negotiations-20120401-1w6jq.html

Channel Nine and Fox Sports have formed a joint venture designed to increase their chances of hanging on to the NRL rights they already hold and make it harder for the Seven and Ten networks to grab a slice of the rugby league pie. The decision by the free-to-air and pay TV rights holders could result in Fox Sports, which currently shows five live games per round, taking its coverage up to the full eight games by simulcasting the three free-to-air games. It could also mean Nine increasing the number of games it screens, possibly by one, depending on the outcome of discussions between the two broadcasters. Fox Sports currently screens every AFL regular-season game live, with Seven the free-to-air broadcaster. Sources say Nine and Fox working together makes it a cleaner bid for the NRL to deal with, and that a history of different football code television broadcasting deal negotiations shows that joint ventures between free-to-air and pay TV networks usually get the rights. The three-month exclusivity period for for Nine and Fox to negotiate the rights with the ARLC runs out at the end of this month. No matter how those negotiations go, the ARLC is expected to go out into the market-place and consider other bids, but both Nine and Fox believe they have considerably strengthened their position regardless.

:lol:

Of course this is just Part I in the saga and PMG will team up with other networks and still push the 10 arrangement but the fact that 9 are reaching the point of conceding simulcasting and were the ones to instigate this - the thing they swore they would never do - is a very good sign of their desperation.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...p-for-rights-negotiations-20120401-1w6jq.html

Of course this is just Part I in the saga and PMG will team up with other networks and still push the 10 arrangement but the fact that 9 are reaching the point of conceding simulcasting and were the ones to instigate this - the thing they swore they would never do - is a very good sign of their desperation.
:):)
Thanks Doc.
So basically the main game doesn't start till May1.

jc155776

Coach
f**k I hate nein. If I have I sit through another 5 years of 80 minute games being extended by 40 mins of ads I will lose it!!

RLNY

Juniors
So Doc, to me at least, 9 allowing Foxtel to simulcast games is very bad news for rugby league. It basically means unless 7 puts up an honest bid for all eight games, Foxtel can basically get everything they want for very cheap. That would severely decrease the amount of money the ARLC would get for tv rights. The fact that rugby league is at the whim of 1 tv network worries me a lot.

El Diablo

Post Whore

well 9 own NBN and if you go through this years ratings reports it has been rating it's arse off http://www.thinktv.com.au/content_common/pg-ratings-reports.seo

it would be a massive blow if 9 lost the rights

HAL

Juniors
7 and 10 are interested,which has been mentioned countless times before

Last edited:

Canucks

Juniors
So Doc, to me at least, 9 allowing Foxtel to simulcast games is very bad news for rugby league. It basically means unless 7 puts up an honest bid for all eight games, Foxtel can basically get everything they want for very cheap. That would severely decrease the amount of money the ARLC would get for tv rights. The fact that rugby league is at the whim of 1 tv network worries me a lot.

Exactly I said that the other week.

Fox + Ten vs Nine = $$$$$
Fox + Nine vs Ten = $$

Fox can save money by not going to war with Nine. I don't see how they would negotiate with ten if all ten can offer is what Nine are apparently offering now.

Again I this is a guestimate based on my severe ignorance of how things work

Status
Not open for further replies.