What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddo

Bench
10s profits just went down by 70%, good luck with that one
Yes, the reason being they haven't got good content. Hence their interest in RL as their flagship program. They may be intersted in bidding, but wether they do depends on the size of 9s first bid.

This is pretty bleeding obvious. Moffo, you seem to be getting stupider.

Canucks

Juniors
10s profits just went down by 70%, good luck with that one

And Mr Warburton said that Ten would be looking at bidding for more sports rights as they come up - it has previously expressed interest in the NRL and V8 Supercars. The rights to the Australian Open from 2014 will come on the market next year.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/ten-...ofit-plunge-20120412-1wwo1.html#ixzz1rrmOPBlW

Yesterday, Warburton's other message was turnaround, and it was a smart message to deliver, for analysts, journalists and media buyers are receptive to it and know a turnaround takes time.

And time is one thing he does have on his side. For now Warburton is in the hot seat, not the ejector seat.

And, after Ten chairman Lachlan Murdoch cut costs out of the business last year during his stint as chief executive and dumped the expensive AFL, Ten has programming money.

So, stand by for further investment, with rugby league and V8 supercars a clear target.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...g-at-ten-network/story-e6frg996-1226325280303

Ten are keen

If the NRL can break up the rights I think Ten have a good chance. Nine and Ten both need the NRL.

But if the rights can't be broken up? Not sure if Ten can match+20%

Sleep

Juniors
Ten is struggling big time and you would have to wonder where Seven would put the games with the time clashing with the AFL coverage.

Three games FTA with only one live is a joke and something needs to be done.

RLNY

Juniors
From the rumoured $1.2 billion deal 7 are proposing...

Would that $1.2 billion include stuff like simulcasting, internet rights, and international rights or just include what 7 is bidding?

nrlnrl

First Grade
You just watch what happens. :D

No doubt there'll be ups & downs with various bidders claiming to have the edge. Also, I've said this before, I hope that everyone doesn't become obsessed with the financial part of the deal ( I don't care if it's under the AFL number - to me that's egotistical ) - the important part is how the successful bidders use the rights !

Doc - what's your eta for when the deal will be announced ?

Please remember that all speculation about the speculation is just speculation.

Last edited:

Digga Hole

Juniors
where is Masters plucking that figure from :?

Not saying a big deal will not happen, I have no idea. But that is one of the worst written articles I have seen.

"Guaranteed $1.2b" at the top, and then contingencies at the bottom if the offers are sub $1b, including what he calls a "gamble".

Great guarantee that!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Needs to deliver min $1bill cash plus 4 live FTA's nationally with Sundays games on main channels,all games live on Fox, live internationals and SOO nationally, fixed schedule and a stack of contra and positive advertising clauses. If we deliver that I'll be happy!

Hoping someone other than Ch9 get the rights if nothing else to freshen up the games presentation.

Chuck in an extra predicted $15mill a year from gambling, $10mill a year from naming rights and $15+mill for internet and mobile rights and the game is suddenly in a very healthy financial position to impliment a massive amount of strategic goals to grow the game to new levels across the country.

docbrown

Coach
Would that $1.2 billion include stuff like simulcasting, internet rights, and international rights or just include what 7 is bidding?

From the way I interpreted it they want every game's rights on TV and Internet so they can offsell them to other bidders. Telstra are no longer guaranteed the internet rights as there are other providers in those waters as well. The whole reason for this is as I've stated previously - 7 have the muscle to beat out everyone else. The temporary negative consequences for 7 gaining all the rights are less than the consequences for the others being put into a second auction round frenzy.

This was the news that I had heard about previously but I didn't want to jinx it until I was sure it was further down the track.

As I also understand 9 is fully aware of what 7 intends to do and they've hit panic stations, going back to CVC to approve a guarantee to meet their bid.

This combined bid - that exists outside the realm of the F&LR - will need to be at least $1 billion in cash alone to put off what 7 intends - and even then that might not be enough.

The final result of who gets what is still up in the air and will come down to the final day.

TimmyB

Juniors
Doc, I've followed your posts keenly for a number of months, as long as I have been following this thread. The news is always pleasingly positive. However I must say, and I don't meant to be rude, I have been stung trusting anonymous posts on the internet before. Well, stung to the extent that they haven't eventuated.

May I humbly ask how you are privy to this information? Apologies if it is something you've covered previously. Again, I don't mean to be rude or provocative.

juro

Bench
Doc, I've followed your posts keenly for a number of months, as long as I have been following this thread. The news is always pleasingly positive. However I must say, and I don't meant to be rude, I have been stung trusting anonymous posts on the internet before. Well, stung to the extent that they haven't eventuated.

May I humbly ask how you are privy to this information? Apologies if it is something you've covered previously. Again, I don't mean to be rude or provocative.
If you are worried about being stung, maybe you shouldn't read this thread. Even the people in the middle of the negotiations don't know exactly how it is going to turn out!

Status
Not open for further replies.