What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Went there in height of AFL season... St Kilda esplanade is as depressing, cold and wind blown as it gets... Doesn't even have a f**king beach! CBD is like 3 tall buildings... pathetic place. should give them indepedence.

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Yep, 3 tall buildings that are considerably taller than anything in Sydney. Hell, here in Brisbane we have taller buildings than Sydney. Should probably use a better argument to why Sydney is so superior (for the record I prefer it to Melbourne, until you venture out into NRL heartland to see the absolute shithole that is Western Sydney).

bluesbreaker

Bench
3 tall buildings does not a cbd make. did you miss the part about no beach, no decent weather btw?

Glad you like Melbourne! the city of bankstown has more to do than the entire melbourne metropolitan area.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
AFL GF got almost 1.4m into Melbourne last year. That was with 2 Melbourne teams though.

AFL also seems to rate higher into Melbourne than NRL into Sydney most weeks, although not by much.

TV shows across the board rate higher into Melbourne, no idea why.

It does seem strange that the Sydney pop is bigger than melbourne pop, but nearly all tv shows rate more viewers in Melbourne.

I would assume its the factor of WIN & NBN, i live 52km as crow flies from circular quay, but I watch the football and news etc through NBN... same with people in Wollongong...

I'd say the metro channel 9 etc coverage in Melbourne nearly covers 80% of vic population

LESStar58

Referee
Went there in height of AFL season... St Kilda esplanade is as depressing, cold and wind blown as it gets... Doesn't even have a f**king beach! CBD is like 3 tall buildings... pathetic place. should give them indepedence.

But you said there's "nothing to do" which is complete tosh. I think Sydney is generally a toilet but I always find something "to do" while I'm there.

The 3 best things that Sydney has over Melbourne is that they play rugby league, and have better beaches and pubs. I will at this juncture share my love for the Dry Dock Hotel in Balmain that I happened upon walking up from the ferry to meet a freind for dinner at the London.

Got in there for a sneaky Resches (couldn't get enough of the stuff) and it turned out to be a "dog friendly" pub with these tradies letting their 4 legged friends run riot in the public bar. I loved it but f**ked if you think that'd happen in Melbourne!

beave

Coach
Im in Port Moresby at the moment and EM TV had both fox games on last night and the manly panthers game this arvo as well as the channel 9 games. I wonder how much EM tv pays the NRL and fox to show the games over here? Funny how we have to pay to see the fox games but over here its on FTA.

Tweek

Juniors
Yep, 3 tall buildings that are considerably taller than anything in Sydney. Hell, here in Brisbane we have taller buildings than Sydney. Should probably use a better argument to why Sydney is so superior (for the record I prefer it to Melbourne, until you venture out into NRL heartland to see the absolute shithole that is Western Sydney).

I wouldn't call Canberra an absolute shithole.

Ron Swanson

Juniors
So we now have proper financial analysis into RL's true value from some reliable independent bodies.

Citigroup (including Digital rights):

$807m to $1.057bn. Sounds about right.

Maxus (excluding digital rights):

$750m.

Also great to see a proper financial breakdown of ad revenue and sponsorship from broadcasting. Based on what we've seen with 9 with the rights, is there really much of a halo effect? I don't think Nine even beat Seven on Origin night in the 6pm News.

Last edited:

Canucks

Juniors
So we now have proper financial analysis into RL's true value from some reliable independent bodies.

Citigroup (including Digital rights):

$807m to $1.057bn. Sounds about right.

Maxus (excluding digital rights):

$750m.

Also great to see a proper financial breakdown of ad revenue and sponsorship from broadcasting. Based on what we've seen with 9 with the rights, is there really much of a halo effect? I don't think Nine even beat Seven on Origin night in the 6pm News.

Well nine news is shit, I watch it but not if they lose the rights... It's just awkward watching Ken throw back to Overton, Overton wouldn't watch sport at all, ''I'll be on the couch for that one ken"... Plus that cnt Widler, pushing himself into every shot, cnt looks like a lizard...

What are the estimates for the NZ deal?

BuffaloRules

Coach

bobmar28

Bench

Why is western Sydney a shithole?

bobmar28

Bench
Well nine news is shit, I watch it but not if they lose the rights... It's just awkward watching Ken throw back to Overton, Overton wouldn't watch sport at all, ''I'll be on the couch for that one ken"... Plus that cnt Widler, pushing himself into every shot, cnt looks like a lizard...

What are the estimates for the NZ deal?

Overton was the one who predicted AFL would take over Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts