What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I don't profess to be an expert on AFL as I'd sooner run my c**k through a meat grinder than watch even 2 seconds of that abomination of a sport, but aren't scorelines of 156-42 quite common in that game? How can that make for good watching?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I don't profess to be an expert on AFL as I'd sooner run my c**k through a meat grinder than watch even 2 seconds of that abomination of a sport, but aren't scorelines of 156-42 quite common in that game? How can that make for good watching?

Agree, but I bet that you would not see the Head AFL writer from the Herald Sun bagging out the quality of their games...

Why do blokes like Slothfield, Wiedler, Hadley and others that make their living ( or a large chunk of it) from the sport continue to run it down?

Also, the Tigers v Cowboys was a pretty good game....

whall15

Coach
I don't get why they do it. Do they think TV executives will be reading it and then adjusting their bids accordingly?

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg..._been_a_super_disappointment_for_the_knights/

THE LOWLIGHT
The standard of football was so poor in games I watched over the weekend that TV executives would be mad to pay anything near $1.2 billion for the rights.

Buzz is an idiot...There has been plenty of sub-standard games and blowouts in the AFL and they got 1.2 Billion.

Very much so, particulalry with the introduction of GWS and the Gold Coast. I actually went out to the GWS game on Saturday night, and whilst they go a great job of entertaining the crowd and in a marketing sense, the standard of footy was close to the worst I've seen on a dry day. GWS certainly dragged the bombers down to their level. But yet the AFL still got their coin, so the standard of footy isn't everything in terms of TV rights.

Ziggy the God

First Grade

Without wanting to derail this thread, I just looked up the scores from the round they just played.

Nine games in total, of which 6 games finished like this:

Rich 137
Haw 75 more behinds than goals

Ess 119
GWS 53 more behinds than goals

Carl 107
Melb 49 more behinds than goals

Wc 84
Fre 36 more behinds than goals

Coll 75
Adel 49 more behinds than goals

Port 118
GC 70 tie behinds and goals

What a joke of a sport.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Interesting article in the Australian which echoes some of Docs comments

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...to-score-the-nrl/story-e6frg996-1226368687199

Its behind a pay wall but if you search for NRL TV rights in google, the full version should be accessible.

full article

Nine and Ten both need to score the NRL

by: Simon Canning
May 28, 2012 12:00AM

FAILURE to win the broadcast rights to the National Rugby League could lock either the Nine or Ten networks permanently in third place in the ratings battle, an analyst believes.

As the Australian Rugby League Commission revels in the super-sized audience for last week's first State of Origin match in Melbourne, where an average of 2.51 million people tuned in across the five state capitals, the highest rating for the league's marquee match since OzTam started recording ratings in 1999, an analysis by Citigroup warned that the winning network might not be able to gain enough advertising revenue to justify a massive bid for the rights.

Justin Diddams, an equity analyst with Citigroup, said missing out on the rights could be disastrous for the loser. "The network that misses out risks being stuck in third place for a prolonged period," he said.

Mr Diddams said the law of diminishing returns could apply to the advertising revenue from National Rugby League matches.

His report predicts rights to the code, including free-to-air and subscription TV, as well as digital rights, would be worth $950 million, although a best-case scenario would be over $1 billion.

He said Ten needed the rights to give it a kick-start after it declined to bid for the AFL.

"We expect Ten to aggressively bid for the NRL rights," he said. "It could be transformational for the Ten network. Any bid above $55m per season will be earnings dilutive in year one on a standalone basis, but the halo effect could be significant, justifying bids of up to $75m per season."

The halo effect means the NRL would bring regular viewers to the network, to whom it can then cross-promote other programs.

A former network head who asked not to be named said that win or lose, a bid by Seven would be destabilising for its rivals.

"If I were Seven, I would go at this with an aggressively priced bid," said the former executive, who has negotiated a number of broadcast deals in the past.

"They can't lose -- if they win, they reinforce their number one position; if they lose, they would have forced Nine or Ten to bid more than they wanted."

The Citi report says that even with an extra game, it would be hard for Nine to lift its ad income.

"There's little opportunity to lift the advertising revenue from NRL, as advertisers are unlikely to accept an increase on the rate card because the rights cost more," the report says.

It estimates total annual revenue for NRL games on an FTA network could be as little $65m, with $55m coming from direct advertising, $5m from sponsorship, $5m from other programming and an unknown amount from the "halo effect" of being the official broadcaster.

The report predicts the ultimate value of the rights, including digital rights now with Telstra, is between $807m and $1.057bn.

In Media last week, Mark McCraith, chief operating officer of media buying agency Maxus, valued the TV rights excluding digital rights at $750m.

The value of the digital rights has been thrown into doubt after Optus announced it would appeal to the High Court against a Federal Court ruling outlawing its TV Now service allowing people to use their mobile devices as free-to-air digital video recorders.

If Optus is successful, it will undermine the value of the digital rights, and Telstra insiders have admitted the company would not have paid $153m for the AFL digital rights if the TV Now service had been approved by the courts.

Harold Mitchell, Australian head of media buying company Aegis, rejected the possibility the winning network would struggle to increase revenue.

"The TV networks have the capacity to turn the attention of Australia's massive advertising industry to these events -- the winner will make it work," Mr Mitchell said.

El Diablo

Post Whore
here is the same guy talking AFL last year

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-may-be-too-high/story-e6frg8zx-1226027693030

Citigroup warns $1bn rights may be too high

by: Simon Canning
March 25, 2011 12:00AM

THE winning bidder for the AFL's broadcast rights could pay a price far higher than the $1 billion the code is seeking, with warnings there is no way broadcasters will be able to recoup the investment.

With rumours swirling that Seven chief executive David Leckie is poised to make a massive plunge on the rights, and with Foxtel agitating for better-quality games, the code is optimistic it will be able to add more than $200 million to the price it extracted for the rights in 2005.

All three commercial networks are finalising their bids to the AFL this week, while Foxtel is also angling for more live games.

But the continuing confusion over the mechanism the government will apply to the sports anti-siphoning list is clouding what the true value of the rights should be.

Austar chief executive John Porter this week lashed the government for again delaying legislation to finalise the list.

Citigroup global markets analyst Justin Diddams said in a report that on a combined basis, the AFL rights lost money for the free-to-air television broadcasters -- "generating $75m in ad revenue per year and costing $93m to acquire (plus production costs)" -- and that that scenario was unlikely to change with TV audiences continuing to fall.

"Any step up in the cost of the next AFL deal should drive earnings downgrades," Mr Diddams said. "The 'win at all costs' mantra for FTA on sports rights appears outdated, given the poor economic returns and less 'intrinsic' appeal."

The report suggested that Nine Entertainment was not a credible bidder despite the fact that with Seven and Ten committed to a joint bid it was the only player that could provide the process with competitive tension.

It said that if the AFL was successful in lifting the value of the rights, it would hit shares of Seven, Ten and Foxtel's owners.

"Live audiences are deteriorating (which is likely to concern potential bidders) and the ability of FTA broadcasters to justify the higher cost of premium sports rights remains questionable despite the growing importance," Mr Diddams said.

Despite the slipping audience numbers, Citigroup said the AFL had a right to raise the cost of rights, but warned that the suggested $1bn valuation may not be sustainable.

It said while the code was hoping to add at least $220m to the price extracted in 2005, it predicted the actual growth in value was about $123m, although with two new teams entering the competition there would be 11 per cent more football in 2012.

The report suggested that the value of premium sports rights was fading, in part because they could not pay their way in terms of advertising revenue, effectively becoming a "loss leader" but also because the halo effect of sports was weakening as viewers drifted away from a channel after a game finished.

With negotiations in progress, none of the networks were willing to comment on the Citigroup report.

Brutus

Referee
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg..._been_a_super_disappointment_for_the_knights/

THE LOWLIGHT
The standard of football was so poor in games I watched over the weekend that TV executives would be mad to pay anything near $1.2 billion for the rights.

Buzz is an idiot...There has been plenty of sub-standard games and blowouts in the AFL and they got 1.2 Billion.

We get your agenda buzz...and the agenda of the media organisation you work for.

You read the agenda-driven crap that comes from journos like rothfield and ritchie and it makes you like someone like SteveMascord even more.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How come the AFL claim there extra game and two new teams was worth $150mill on the deal and yet according to ourselves and others NRL expansion might not be worth anything? How does that work!

BuffaloRules

Coach
How come the AFL claim there extra game and two new teams was worth $150mill on the deal and yet according to ourselves and others NRL expansion might not be worth anything? How does that work!

Perhaps the actual poor ratings that Gold Coast and GWS have delivered, along with the impact these easybeats have had on the AFL competition, has changed people's thinking on this issue?

Karl

Juniors
I love all the speculation and the projections and assumptions and the guess work masquerading as analysis.

But most of all I marvel at anyone who, with the ability to fill in a form and pay a small fee, continues instead to live life, particularly a life that involves the public use of one's name, under the moniker "Diddams".

That guy can either fight or he has the tolerance of the Dalai Lama. No bloke of his approximate age gets through School unscathed with the name Diddams.

docbrown

Coach
Any talk from the networks - like 9 - saying "oh we don't want to upset the viewers by increasing ads" is just a bluff.

At the end of the day it's going to be so competitive that just securing the rights is the primary consideration and figuring out how to justify any price hikes through bidding wars will just have to come out in the wash.

This isn't just about the NRL. It's about which network will be relegated to third place.

Karl

Juniors
No point being number one in the ratings if you're booking big losses and you're buried under a mountain of debt you can't service.

docbrown

Coach
No point being number one in the ratings if you're booking big losses and you're buried under a mountain of debt you can't service.

Channel 7 aren't buried under a mountain of debt...

As for 9 they would be in even more debt if they didn't have the NRL at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts