What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Does anyone else here suspect that 7 ALSO has a co-sharing arrangement plan with 10.
I would think that 7 have all contingenies covered .

I hope so, would be smart business. They don't need everything, only to shut out one of their competitors.

Plus at the moment 10 seems to be quiet& not showing their hand.

The fact we're hearing about Nine bidding, then going joint with Fox and now joint with Seven, while Ten is just saying "we like Rugby League" is pretty telling about where the negotiations must be.

docbrown

Coach
After 7 got reamed by Foxtel & the AFL, they went around trying to get 9 & 10 to buy a piece of it. At the time 7 offered 9 a swapper - an NRL game for an AFL game - this is where this story comes from.

At the time 9 said - Never.

Flash forward a couple of months and now 9 are seemingly willing to jump into bed with whichever other network allows them to keep some part of the halo.

Desperation? You bet! By joining forces with 7, 9 would basically be conceding themselves to second place for the next five years. What does that say about your attitude as a network when you would even consider that?

7's mind games are afoot. They're going to pit everyone against each other because they can afford to and still come out on top.

My main concern is that if 7 & 9 marry up very early in the process is that it will affect the competitive tension that a 10-Fox alliance could counter. The NRL needs to drive a wedge through it until the final moment. I still stand by my statement though that 10 will throw whatever is necessary to redefine themselves. They're sick of being the little guys.

Also - both AFL & NRL fans should be wary of that alliance. It puts the sports into a weaker bargaining position over the life of the contracts.

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Desperation? You bet! By joining forces with 7, 9 would basically be conceding themselves to second place for the next five years. What does that say about your attitude as a network when you would even consider that?

Probably means the network is in dire straights if they end up in 3rd place for 5 years ;-)

After 7 got reamed by Foxtel & the AFL, they went around trying to get 9 & 10 to buy a piece of it. At the time 7 offered 9 a swapper - an NRL game for an AFL game - this is where this story comes from.

At the time 9 said - Never.

Flash forward a couple of months and now 9 are seemingly willing to jump into bed with whichever other network allows them to keep some part of the halo.

7's mind games are afoot. They're going to pit everyone against each other because they can afford to and still come out on top.

My main concern is that if 7 & 9 marry up very early in the process is that it will affect the competitive tension that a 10-Fox alliance could counter. The NRL needs to drive a wedge through it until the final moment. I still stand by my statement though that 10 will throw whatever is necessary to redefine themselves. They're sick of being the little guys.

Also - both AFL & NRL fans should be wary of that alliance. It puts the sports into a weaker bargaining position over the life of the contracts.

C10 have no choice but to be the little guys though.

All they seem to focus on is cost cutting in order to increase their earnings. The only 5-star revenue generator of any note that they have is masterchef.

their profits have taken a dive in recent years due to restructuring and being the perennial cheaper option for tv advertising in a depressed market. the amount of cashflow available ends up becoming a problem when earnings are continually depressed for a few years. they've been getting by on cost cutting and they haven't gradually invested in more programming spend on quality product in an effort to correct the slide for realistic future earnings growth.

There will eventually be a point below what the rights are worth and above what C10 will be prepared and can afford to spend to attract the rights for any valuable timeslot.

the regular season match timeslots of any real value is friday night & monday night primetime, and to a lessor extent, the lead-in to the news on a sunday afternoon. the rest of it is garbage.

to generate any value out of regular season matches, they need to win a weeknight primetime gig, and be prepared to outbid the other 2 for it. Really don't like their chances TBH.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Channel 7 and Channel 9 hate each other, constantly using their throwaway junk T.V (T.T and A Current Affair) to throw shit at each other. Seeing they're the weaker brand, 9 would have to absolutely humiliate themselves to get into bed with 7.

docbrown

Coach
All they seem to focus on is cost cutting in order to increase their earnings.

To be fair though the cost cutting over the past year was always about making room for the NRL and it still is.

How many times over the past year have people used it as an excuse as to why 10 wouldn't be serious about the NRL at all - then when it finally goes public it then gets used as an excuse as to why they won't win. :roll:

Sorry but I don't buy it, not one bit.

This is a make or break decision for Channel 10. Yes - in the past they have been happily prepared to be consigned to being the runt of the litter. But what they've actually been doing is setting up to replicate the conditions of 2004.

There will eventually be a point below what the rights are worth and above what C10 will be prepared and can afford to spend to attract the rights for any valuable timeslot.

There is no definitive number as to what the rights are worth. The rights are worth whatever the networks and the forces of competition deem them to be worth.

The number going around for a 10/Foxtel alliance is 200 million viewers a season. That's where 10's strength resides.

the regular season match timeslots of any real value is friday night & monday night primetime, and to a lessor extent, the lead-in to the news on a sunday afternoon. the rest of it is garbage.

The rest of it is garbage? You only left out two time slots on a Saturday... :roll:

And yes Saturday is a wasteland - well known fact. But if you can tie it through to coverage on other days and cross promote it then it's not all bad.

And as for Fridays & Sundays, they haven't been pushed to within an inch of their potential. But of course, all this has been covered previously so no need for further repetiton.

docbrown

Coach
Channel 7 and Channel 9 hate each other, constantly using their throwaway junk T.V (T.T and A Current Affair) to throw shit at each other. Seeing they're the weaker brand, 9 would have to absolutely humiliate themselves to get into bed with 7.

That's about the gist of it.

Does anyone else here suspect that 7 ALSO has a co-sharing arrangement plan with 10.
I would think that 7 have all contingenies covered .
Plus at the moment 10 seems to be quiet& not showing their hand.

Maybe 7 are playing both 9 and 10 with this?

9 has dropped to its knees to suck 7's c**k and humiliated themselves in the process. Does this now remove them as a serious stand alone bidder?

It also forces 10 to go harder because if 7 are potentially offloading some cost to 9 (and possibly making them pay overs for it) making it easier for 7. So 10 have to go in real hard on this.

So now, if 7 somehow lose, hopefully 10 have overextended themselves and will pay for it in the long run.

Question, doc: Can a network offload something to another network halfway through the deal, if things become too much for them? If 10 win but overextend and 3 years in realise they're up the shit, can 7 come back and take a chunk?

Question, doc: Can a network offload something to another network halfway through the deal, if things become too much for them? If 10 win but overextend and 3 years in realise they're up the shit, can 7 come back and take a chunk?
If that happened i think 7 would be getting (say 2 games)at bargain basement prices.
As Doc said 7 are in the box seat

C10 have no choice but to be the little guys though.

There are two compelling reasons why I dont think thats true.

1) It used to be that 9 always had Packer money & influence to back it up. A investment in League by 10 will place severe pressure on 9 who are now subject to CVCs willingness to take a hit.

2)The Rinehart/Murdoch/Packer investments in 10 isnt because they are bored or want media exposure. Money makes money.

colly

Juniors
I posted something like this yesterday. I want 2 FTA AND FOX TO PAY OVERS.
DISCUSS
OK first post for a long time this is what I would like to happen with the media rights negations. eg. NINE/ TEN Free to air to be given 4 games each.

Friday night football shared between 2 FTA TV Stations. Eg Nine/Ten whom seem up for it. One can have NSW market the other QLD,( they could swap/and show alternative game on other digital channels. Free to air has 2 Sat nights games (one after the other) probably 5.30/7.30 or 6.00/8.00
Each channel will get either a Sunday avo 4.00 live or Monday night live.

Fri 7.45 live Qld game Ten (NSWgame on other digital channel) Three month rotation.
Fri 7.45 live NSW game Nine (Qld game on other digital channel)Three month rotation
Sat 5.30 /6.00 Live Nine
Sat 7.30/8.00 Live Ten
Sun 4.00 Live Nine
Mon 7.00 Live Ten

I will explain latter, This schedule works best with \ another QLD team ie 17 Teams(possibly Brisbane) AND the game clock stops for all stoppages. Advertisements can be placed strategically with stoppage such as dropouts More game time is needed/and WANTED. There is ten minutes wasted with try restarts, conversions scrum formations, this equals less product.
The reason why the game schedule and TV arrangements work best is because if you sell this to Nine and Ten FOR $65 MILLION each per year you have enough bargaining power over Foxtel.

Ten 65m times 6 years equals 390m
Nine 65m times 6 years equals 390m Total FTA NRL only 780 million
In the Australian newspaper Nine was reported to make $60-70m per year in add revenue (with 1 live and two delayed)
If your following this then 2 game remain for Foxtel/Telstra maybe Fetch. Anyway now you are in a better barging position in regards FOXTEL. I currently pay Austar/Foxtel and you look out for the fans if it is on free to air (when it is live) and in showbiz you can never get enough exposure (you die when you don't get exposure)
In my game theory Foxtel will hold out because it can. Neither Nine or ten can spend over 450 million, remember Kerry STOKES/Seven payed I think 450 for AFL. But we are going to get 375 to 420 million each from Ten and Nine. Now Fotel can be told NO, that’s not enough. We could survive on this ie 780 million and Foxtel and Austar loses subs big time, We survived I think on half that much. After half a year they will come crawling back. However we don’t have much for them 2 games exclusive and 1 Game Sat (5.30) and 1 game Sunday in conjunction with TV. In this example Foxtel line up ( see above)could be Sat 5.306.00 game (in conjunction with nine) Sat 7.30 one of their excliusive games. (Then repeat of the Sat 7.30/8.00 Ten game at 9.30 Sat . So they have a super saturday in king 5.30 game 7.30 exclusive and repeat of the ten game.
Sunday Foxtel can eith have a 2pm game as now. It is less games than their 5 live but here the kicker Too bad Mr Ken Williams in law to Gough and now News chief, Further refinement whereby possible one other game could be shared with the FTA but THEY MUST PAY MORE THAN AFL PRICE (600M) ONLY SLIGHT ADJUSTED .I would expect something like the FTA PAY PER YEAR IE 375-420 M or 70-80m per year. Now how to divy up the Sate of origin and finals, Ten has first 2 state of origins (all finals except the grand final( Nine has the third State of origin and the grand final. Can change yearly if it pleases the networks. This deal ensuresthe networks make money.. Each network has more games than Nine has and their all live, some exclusive (like Friday) punters/fans id desired can forgo Foxtel and everyone a winner.

In-goal

Bench
Good in theory, but not probable. I think status quo, with more money is the odds on, unless 7 and 9 get into bed.

SOO has highlighted one problem, the NRL through the rep period incurs a massive drop off, will SOO be simply used to offset this? Or will the NRL take a hit on the open market because of it?

Brutus

Referee
Good in theory, but not probable. I think status quo, with more money is the odds on, unless 7 and 9 get into bed.

SOO has highlighted one problem, the NRL through the rep period incurs a massive drop off, will SOO be simply used to offset this? Or will the NRL take a hit on the open market because of it?

Crowds may drop off, but tv ratings sre still solid for the nrl during the origin period. There will be no off-setting going on.

If that happened i think 7 would be getting (say 2 games)at bargain basement prices.
As Doc said 7 are in the box seat

Exactly, and that's my point. 7 can get into a position where they f**k both 9 and 10 and give themselves a little reward down the road.

9 get f**ked by dropping to third if 10 get the rights.
10 get f**ked by overextending and giving 7 a couple of games down the track, which gives 7 a little more buffer against the new #2, while putting 9 and 10 against each other again in a new battle for 2v3.

All in all, though, we end up with more money while 9 loses coverage. That's a massive win-win if you ask me.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rive-this-agenda/story-e6freye0-1226380888089

Gallop's silent TV talks

ARL Commission boss David Gallop is presumably feeling confident about reaching the $1.2 billion payday rugby league is sweating bullets over, because he's gagged television network executives from talking about the topic of broadcast rights.

Meanwhile, Gallop is being quoted widely on the subject.

Over at Fox Sports, sports boss Gary Burns' commitment to set the highest standard for its league coverage continues. We're told the former Nine executive producer is conducting a performance review of its presenters and commentators, and even texts them mid-match to impart advice. How very Brian Smith of him.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I don't like that the channels can on-sell a game, if you buy it you show it.

Imagine in Kerry Stokes was a Billionaire, massive AFL fan from WA (oh wait), he could buy all the games and sell them all to channel 31 for a pittance, to kill NRL.

Why give anyone that power over your game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts