What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I think for the next TV deal we will get 1 tube of Colgate max white,$50 Playstation network card and a Black Caviar poster signed by Ron Dufficy

docbrown

Coach
Question, doc: Can a network offload something to another network halfway through the deal, if things become too much for them? If 10 win but overextend and 3 years in realise they're up the shit, can 7 come back and take a chunk?

So basically the fundamental question here is - can a network break a contract?

(tugging on my suspenders--)

Well I ain't no city slicking fancy suit wearing lawyer type but I'd say if that happened 10 would be swimming up shit creek without a paddle. ;-)

which gives 7 a little more buffer against the new #2

That's their hope with their secondary channels.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Imagine in Kerry Stokes was a Billionaire, massive AFL fan from WA (oh wait), he could buy all the games and sell them all to channel 31 for a pittance, to kill NRL.

You're forgetting about anti-siphoning so it's an impossibility.

The worst case scenario is that an incompetent network (i.e. 9) buys the rights and maintains the status quo (i.e. incompetence).

magpie_man

Juniors
Watching c7's afl coverage last night (go Richmond!), it deadset makes c9's nrl coverage look like amateur hour; i hope they get the rights.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Watching c7's afl coverage last night (go Richmond!), it deadset makes c9's nrl coverage look like amateur hour; i hope they get the rights.

poof7pt.gif

So basically the fundamental question here is - can a network break a contract?

But hasn't onselling games happened before? Haven't deals been done/mooted that changed the original contract? (Say, swap an AFL game for an NRL game?)

I was just under the impression that because of the two things I just mentioned that it wouldn't really be "breaking a contract"?

A contract is a contract is a contract. If the contract allows for it then it can be done. If it doesnt it doesnt.

Of course that doesnt prevent the 2 parties from making a further agreement/contract.

It really is as simple & complex as that.

supera

Juniors

u serious bro?

I watch a lot of afl and nrl - channel 7's coverage of the afl this year has been a joke and a disgrace.

at least when im watching nrl I'm able to watch scoring plays live - on channel 7 I'm usually enduring a replay.

docbrown

Coach
But hasn't onselling games happened before? Haven't deals been done/mooted that changed the original contract? (Say, swap an AFL game for an NRL game?)

I was just under the impression that because of the two things I just mentioned that it wouldn't really be "breaking a contract"?

A contract is a contract is a contract. If the contract allows for it then it can be done. If it doesnt it doesnt.

Of course that doesnt prevent the 2 parties from making a further agreement/contract.

It really is as simple & complex as that.

Jatz Crackers (delightful name) is right.

It's definitely not as simple as swapsies though.

The old network would have to convince the NRL that the new network would be guaranteeing the same level of coverage, promotion and dollars etc. You know, lawyer-y stuff.

If the old network has overextended, are they really in a position to convince the new guys to provide all that?

Does the NRL even have to accept it?

Shit creek --------------------------> No paddle

magpie_man

Juniors
u serious bro?

I watch a lot of afl and nrl - channel 7's coverage of the afl this year has been a joke and a disgrace.

at least when im watching nrl I'm able to watch scoring plays live - on channel 7 I'm usually enduring a replay.

I was talking more about there commentary, match-analysis, pre-game build-up, post-game wrap-up, half-time show etc.
I agree about the actual on-field coverage, can't see that being too much of a problem if they got the nrl though...

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h-phil-rothfield/story-e6freye0-1226381445354

Brave game plan in fight with Nine

CHANNEL Ten has shown its determination to wrench the NRL television rights from Channel Nine by launching its popular rugby league show, The Game Plan, on to the main free-to-air channel.

Starring Steve 'Blocker' Roach, Andrew Moore, Joel Caine and our very own Dean 'Bulldog' Ritchie, the show will go to air at 8.30pm - an hour before Channel Nine's Footy Show.

The show will kick off on the main channel on June 21 and go for one hour, but it could run into The Footy Show.

Ten's chief executive James Warburton revealed the show would go live into Brisbane and Sydney and be shown live on One HD in the AFL states.

"Fans have been telling us they wanted The Game Plan in prime time, on Thursday night, so we are giving them what they want," Warburton said.

Ten's league loving board member and former acting CEO Lachlan Murdoch was believed to be involved in the decision.

Mr Murdoch is also working alongside Ten's negotiating team in their talks with the NRL.

David Gallop welcomed news of the show switching to the main channel. "It shows Channel Ten is stepping up as a serious contender for the TV rights," he said.

"To have a rugby league show on prime time is a great sign of the interest in our game and the issues it throws up."

Still, it's a huge gamble by Ten considering Channel Seven tried primetime with the Matty Johns Show three years ago but cut it after just one season. It will be up against shows such as Grey's Anatomy on Seven and Crime Scene Investigation on Nine.

It will be the first time Ten has had rugby league on prime time in 20 years. They lost the rights to Channel Nine in 1992.

The Game Plan is supported by Harvey Norman, Sportsbet and Krispy Kreme doughnuts as the major advertisers.

It is a fast-paced, family friendly and informative show and has been attracting audiences approaching 100,000 on One HD.

At the same time, The Footy Show has improved out of sight this year under the direction of executive producer Glenn Pallister and will welcome the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.