What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LESStar58

Referee
Jus saw a banner advertising the game during Big Bang Theory.

I'd wager either Gary Lyon or Sam Newman will mention it on the AFL footy show. Lyon is a pretty decent bloke for a fumbleball journo who has always mentioned the Storm or make mention of the code when Origin is on, Newman is a Storm fan and has talked about Storm on radio.

Let's face it, this IS a bit of a gamble for nine as they have never tried this before so they'd WANT to be advertising it.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Cmon NRL just spend a couple of grand on this

Full page adds in Herald Sun tomorrow

Get
Excited
Melbourne

Live NRL now on GEM,
Friday night Live

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Realistically I don't care if they know it's on tonight

I want them to know its on every Friday night from now until 2030

That's the way you build an audience, certainty

I wonder how many times the broncos v storm game will be on a Friday night over the next 20 years ?

Zigwaa

Bench
They wouldn't have... Nobody down there will know its on.... Nobody in SA or WA will know either...

Wrong.

I've seen the NRL games advertised about 8-10 times now, it's awesome. Not only are they putting it on, they are promoting on the main channel too. The ad was on a few times during the AFL footy show.

Zigwaa

Bench
but anyone who watches the AFL Footy Show will be watching AFL tonight

That wasn't my point, just that it it's getting plenty of advertising. However, some ex pat NSW and QLD people down here have turned to AFL due to lack of NRL coverage.

Goddo

Bench
Realistically I don't care if they know it's on tonight

I want them to know its on every Friday night from now until 2030

That's the way you build an audience, certainty

I wonder how many times the broncos v storm game will be on a Friday night over the next 20 years ?
Not only that, 9 will want Perth for expansion now. Local content and all that. And they'd still want more Brisbane content.

FTA games will revolve around Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, popular Sydney sides, and whichever regional sides are winning.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
I've just realised for Sunday Footy we have gone from live games on the main channel to a 4 hr delayed broadcast on GEM ........ GREAT :(
Probably a product of splitting a single national GEM feed in two. You either take the northern feed without the football or the southern feed with the extra delay. Nine Perth might be better off sticking with the northern feed on Sundays and using the flexibility they have with their locally programmed main channel to show the match earlier (and not head to head with the ad free Fox replay). They could use it either at 3pm as a lead in to their 5pm news or anywhere up to three hours earlier (ie. live) if they're concerned about the ratings blow. The advantage of the time zone difference is they have a lot of options.

Leigh.

Last edited:

j5o6hn

Juniors
Nine show used to show the 4pm Sydney game at 1pm if they have changed it so it clashes with FOXTEL I will be watching Foxtel

Brutus

Referee
Great to see ch 9 promoting women's AFL in Penrith on the Today Show this morning.

It was as obvious as paid puff pieces get.

"I thought NRL was supposed to be the big game out here, but AFL is just as big...even bigger"

High Flyers

Juniors
Great to see ch 9 promoting women's AFL in Penrith on the Today Show this morning.

It was as obvious as paid puff pieces get.

"I thought NRL was supposed to be the big game out here, but AFL is just as big...even bigger"

I've actually been to a live game of womens afl and the lack of skill is outstanding! Its a bunch of primarily lesbian and expat Victorians fumbling around like a bunch of 6 year olds.

If you thought afl is un-watchable either live or in person at the top level, going to watch the local fumble fest will surely turn you off.

My only concern is that the game panders to the lowest level of skill, you dont even need to be able to catch a ball to play it which could offer people with low skill levels or social outcasts a place to feel welcome.

High Flyers

Juniors
So what you're saying is that those players could make it in the AFL...?

I assumed that they would get a run on start. It didn't look much different TBH...

Being lesbian they have an instant advantage in fisting which I believe is a required skill in afl!

Quidgybo

Bench
So the questions I'd like to see answered in the coming days...

1) How do the free to air figures compare to the late night replays in the past few weeks (more so for Adelaide and Perth due to the Storm skew on the Melbourne figure)?

2) Did the figures for the late night Fox replays take a hit due to the earlier free to air coverage?

3) What were the figures for regional Victoria?

4) Did the late night replays still go ahead on Nine's main channel, what were the figures, and how do they compare to the past few weeks.

5) How do the figures compare to the GEM figures for the same timeslots over the past few weeks in the minor states?

I'd like to get some sort of picture how many viewers we added with the more accessible coverage and how many viewers we simply shifted from one timeslot to another. And I'd like to get an idea how much of a hit Nine took showing the games instead of their alternative GEM programming.

Leigh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.