What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Love the last line, Sydney and GWS are not big drawing clubs. Regardless it was the only game of the week and first in the season of the galaxy's elite australian football competition, which is supposedly universally popular across australia. hahaha jokes on them.

At first glance the sunday fox game seems to be up on ratings this year?

gallagher

Juniors
according to the AFL troll in TFC nobody in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth was interested in the season opener :lol:
I live in Perth and to tell you the truth thats probably the case. None of my work collegues or mates that follow AFL were interested at all.Even the AFL mad media didnt really get excited about it. All their eyes are on this weekend ahead.

I think having it as a stand alone game backfired hugely.

Jankuloski

Juniors
I live in Perth and to tell you the truth thats probably the case. None of my work collegues or mates that follow AFL were interested at all.Even the AFL mad media didnt really get excited about it. All their eyes are on this weekend ahead.

I think having it as a stand alone game backfired hugely.

Imagine how many would tune in if it had to compete with other games.

chigurh

yeah

read how the hedge funds have pledged to support 9 in their bid for the NRL rights

What impact will this have on 10 & 7's chances of trumping 9?

And what do we make of 9's decision to show matches on GEM in VIC, WA and SA - are they desperate?

taipan

Referee
What impact will this have on 10 & 7's chances of trumping 9?

And what do we make of 9's decision to show matches on GEM in VIC, WA and SA - are they desperate?

About as desperate as a Syrian refugee.They lose rugby league,they are in a death spiral.

In-goal

Bench
I think 9 will maintain the status quo for the next 5-6 years, you'd have to think it unlikely that they can lose it from here.

I want to know, what damage will the titans do to early expansion plans? It will take a big plunge to fix that situation, and then reinforce consumer confidence.

Canucks

Juniors
I used to live in Melbourne for 2.5 years.... It would have been alot easier had the below deal been struck 5 years ago.... I wouldn't have had to run up and down the streets of Richmond looking for a bar with Imparja.....

From round five of the NRL, the southern markets will broadcast two games in Friday Night Football, one live at 7.30pm AEST and the next one at 9.30pm AEST. Then on Sunday afternoon, a third match will go to air at 4.00pm nationally.

The two-hour NRL Sunday Footy Show hosted by Peter Sterling and a panel of rugby league experts, broadcast in Sydney and Brisbane live at 11.00am on Nine, will be shown at 2.00pm on GEM in Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania in the lead-up to Sunday Afternoon Football at 4.00pm.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8442872

Canucks

Juniors
I used to live in Melbourne for 2.5 years.... It would have been alot easier had the below deal been struck 5 years ago.... I wouldn't have had to run up and down the streets of Richmond looking for a bar with Imparja.....

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8442872

The NRL need to take the initiative and advertise spots in papers in Perth and Melbourne, letting everyone know the games are on GEM.... They need to run radio adverts too....

Jeff Browne will not be showing adverts on TV telling everyone to flick over to GEM....

If Collingwood is floggin some team on Friday night most Melbournians will not wanna watch that team, they will flick over if they know its on

Quidgybo

Bench
The NRL need to take the initiative and advertise spots in papers in Perth and Melbourne, letting everyone know the games are on GEM.... They need to run radio adverts too....

Jeff Browne will not be showing adverts on TV telling everyone to flick over to GEM....
Yes, yes, yes. Spend a million dollars over the next few weeks on advertising and they'll make it back ten fold (probably a lot more) through the impact on the next TV deal of the additional ratings.

Leigh.

Dragonwest

Juniors
What would be a realistic increase to our accumaltive audience over the year? Are we talking 200k per round?? That be upto 4 million extra people a yr watching the game this year!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Needs time to grow the audience and some decent advertising to let people know it is on. Perth has got around 20-25k on the odd occasions we got the Sunday game in the afternoon. SOO draws around 70-100K. Between Friday and Sunday games we should eventually get 50K+ a week I hope, when we get a team it should climb higher as the profile of the game will rise dramatically like it did in the early 90's.

Will all add to the metro figures and bring our capital city ratings above AFL by season end.

Dragonwest

Juniors
I've just realised for Sunday Footy we have gone from live games on the main channel to a 4 hr delayed broadcast on GEM ........ GREAT :(

Status
Not open for further replies.