What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

some11

Referee
Journos already rubbishing the deal and negotiations have just started.

Far out we cop it from every angle.

Brutus

Referee
This initial bid excludes Net and SkyNZ right?

The DT article is crappy though. Who cares if AFL has a preseason comp when they have less rounds and no u20s. Add to that QLD and VIC subscription rates are basically the same.

they also do not have origin and tests.

we could start up a pre-season comp at the drop of a hat if we wanted to.

Moffo

Referee
Economy sucks, AFL has arse f**ked the networks....FTA networks are struggling to make a dollar, not a great recipe and time to be negotiating unfortunately

You really think 7 and 10 are going to let 9 get the rights cheap?

No chance in hell. They'll hurt themselves by not making 9 pay through the nose.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ings-for-nrl-bid/story-fnca0von-1226349262310

Seven waits in wings for NRL bid

by: Brent Read
May 08, 2012 12:00AM

THE Seven Network set the scene for a titanic battle over the game's broadcasting rights yesterday by declaring its love for rugby league on the same day the Nine Network and Fox Sports tabled their opening bids to televise the sport for the next five years.

Under the game's existing broadcasting deal, the Nine Network and Fox Sports, which currently hold the rights, had until yesterday to submit their opening salvos. The ARL Commission confirmed those offers had been received, although it declined to provide any details.

The game is hoping to burst through the $1 billion barrier for its next broadcasting deal and has already indicated it would head to the marketplace regardless of the offer from the Nine Network and Fox Sports. That will allow the Seven Network to enter the race for rugby league as soon as this week.

The Nine Network's chief rival has indicated a particular interest in State of Origin, considered the code's flagship. As part of the negotiations, the networks were expected to submit separate offers for the NRL premiership, Origin and Test football, allowing the game to directly measure the offers for the respective parts of the game.

"We love the NRL but we have no comment on the current negotiations," a Seven Network spokesman said.

Nine was also reluctant to fan any more flames over the broadcasting negotiations, which have been the subject of endless analysis in recent weeks.

"We lodged our bid today," Nine's managing director Jeffrey Browne saiad. "I am very pleased with our bid. I expect to have further dialogue with the NRL."

Asked whether he expected the commission to take the rights to market, Browne said: "That's up to them. We put a very, very strong bid in. I am sure they will give it serious attention."

Browne declined to reveal whether the initial bid would meet the $1bn mark.

"They will do very well and they deserve to," he said.

The game is exploring a range of options as it looks to cash in on the most important broadcasting deal in its history. As well as the potential for increased advertising content, The Australian understands the game has also discussed the potential for allowing the broadcasters access to GPS information during the telecast of matches.

Most clubs now record GPS information during matches by using a small device which is placed on the back of the jersey.

It allows the clubs to record a host of statistics including the distance players cover, the speed at which they cover it, heart rate exertions and the impacts in tackles.

Network Ten has also indicated an interest in bidding for the broadcasting rights, although it was reluctant to comment yesterday.

While yesterday's deadline signalled the start the start of the bidding war, some NRL club chief executives have suggested it could be months before the process reaches a conclusion.

The talks will take place amid mixed TV ratings this season. Although figures are on the rise on free-to-air television - ratings are up nearly 6 per cent - the pay-TV ratings have been inconsistent. Sunday afternoon and Monday night football are down while two of the three Saturday slots are up.

"We can confirm that the written offers have been formally accepted through a legal office," a commission spokesman said.

"Only those directly involved in the negotiation process will be aware of the details of the offer. As much as we can appreciate the interest in the rights negotiations, there are strict and binding confidentiality procedures involved.

"The NRL has for some time expressed its confidence in achieving a substantial increase in rights fees based on rugby league's dominance of television ratings."

El Diablo

Post Whore
Kent's article reads to me like this deal isn't going the way News Ltd wanted it to :mrgreen:

it's poorly writtn has no figure and his nameless sources are not even from 9 or Fox

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Paul your article is bullshit...

Fox Sports are getting ratings of 300k per game on a non exclusive afl game on Friday nights, they used to get ZERO.

If 600 000 extra eyeballs are not worth anything, you are kidding yourself...

The ads will be worth more than the subscriptions in the long run.

Fox would be better off offering a $19 a month starter paln to all houses in australia, that gets you 8 channels and your choice of FOXRL or FOX Footy, then they will get subscriptions from 35% to 80% and sell a shit load more ad space.

Can anyone who has lived in the UK tell us about how you can get Sky channel at home, I heard it is v cheap, until sport is added ??

franklin2323

Immortal
:lol::lol: Kent's article is great. No 9 is a huge win for RL. Fox loses footy it loses customer's. Make the leetches pay!

Karl

Juniors
I thought this was interesting -

As part of the bid to make the game more valuable, the NRL approached Channel 9 about introducing mandatory ad breaks during games, a proposal Nine has distanced itself from.
"The NRL have discussed various means of providing extra breaks but that's a matter entirely for the NRL," Channel 9 managing director Jeff Browne said.
"We will simply respond to what we think they can do while preserving the flow and integrity of the game."
Clearly, Nine does not want to be held responsible for rule changes that could have fans wailing.

Talk about finger pointing. No-one wants to be the one who the fans get angry at for stuffing the game up for the sake of advertising revenue. If it's true, it's a disturbing indicator of how far the NRL will go in order to not have egg on it's face with a smaller deal than they have been talking up.

The shortfall is certain to have a dire effect on the NRL, with many cash-strapped clubs expecting the billion dollar figure to be the bottom end of any new deal.
The fact it could likely fall short of that has not been considered.

Yes it has. I raised it in this thread. I hope it doesn't, but there are a lot of factors that make this a difficult negotiation for the NRL - the financial position of the TV networks (debt and falling earnings), the difficulty leveraging revenue from online, the general financial climate, the AFL's deal being questioned as over the top and unprofitable etc. Just because they WANT at least a billion doesn't make the rights WORTH that and doesn't mean they have the capacity to pay it either.

bobmar28

Bench
It's a Sydney publication actually and the only News Limited paper in this country with any journalistic credibility (if you ignore its strong right wing bias, that doesn't bother me anyway).

Not surprised at all by the Fox Sports NRL channel offer. If they want to simulcast, they're going to need a dedicated NRL channel or create a Fox Sports 4 with the sheer amount of content they would have to show on the weekend. All you would need is one overseas Australian cricket tour and they've got all sorts of broadcasting issues.

Really? How do you explain the pro AFL/Victoria articles I see every day in that newspaper.

hack

Unless the networks can fit in more ads, $1b is a pipe dream. Any ratings mean shit if the network can't generate revenue off it, and that means selling more advertising. It's not unlike the situation department stores continually find themselves in with lots of foot traffic walking into stores, but much of this foot traffic walking back out again with their wallets never making it out of their back pocket or handbag.

If the proposed changes to run 30-sec ad breaks during stoppages in play, and lengthening half-time, etc, go ahead, this can go some way at boosting the possible return on investment for any network winning the rights, and hence drive up the value of the asset. but under the status quo, this won't happen.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Wanting a special "League Channel" seems little more than a dick measuring competition to me. I'd prefer the NRL to be on whatever channel pubs/clubs have as their "standard" so that is gets wider coverage. People at home will search out the footy regardless of whether its on Fox Sports 1 or FoxNRL (or whatever the NRL station might be called).

When it comes to selling to Fox, the ARLC should be looking at dollars and dollars only.

That's the problem. For 5 years now AFL has been on the default channel - Fox 1 - at the clubs, meaning whenever you walk into a licensed club AFL is on as Fox one is the default channel for the big screen.

Raiderdave

First Grade
News Ltd

one day its a certain Billion
next
its not

:sarcasm:

:lol::lol:

Gutter trash reporting from the scorned bitter b.itch that is News

they don't seem to know what is going on
so report anything they like

& its usually :crazy:

as If the NRL will .. or has to accept this bid
nice first try guys

now

NEEEXXXXTTTTTT.......................:evil:

j5o6hn

Juniors
Look NEWS LTD has been trashing the game from before they were kinda removed from the game, they are also being paid by the AFL to be nice,NEWS LTD is not the NRLs friend.
The Tele is a shit paper which uses lying as its start point its Jurnos write what they are told it suits NEWS to push down the price as they are angling to buy Packers share of Foxtel for 1 bill,and take total control of Foxtel.

BODISGOD

Bench
Paul your article is bullshit...

Fox Sports are getting ratings of 300k per game on a non exclusive afl game on Friday nights, they used to get ZERO.

If 600 000 extra eyeballs are not worth anything, you are kidding yourself...

The ads will be worth more than the subscriptions in the long run.

Fox would be better off offering a $19 a month starter paln to all houses in australia, that gets you 8 channels and your choice of FOXRL or FOX Footy, then they will get subscriptions from 35% to 80% and sell a shit load more ad space.

Can anyone who has lived in the UK tell us about how you can get Sky channel at home, I heard it is v cheap, until sport is added ??

Depends who you go with. Several ways to get Sky chanels-Virgin, BT ect. For Sky's service itself it's a minimum of about 20 pounds for the bare basics. There is now a F1 Channel that comes with the basic channel but that was forced upon Sky as they are in competition with the BBC for a lot of races and because the FIA didn't want their advertisers shut off completely on premium tv.

I'm not sure exactly what this FOXRL channel will involve but if it includes live games then it certainly wouldn't fit in a Sky model at all. You don't pay premium for rights and hope to get it back through ads, it's the premium subs that drives theirs and other pay tv models throughout the world.

docbrown

Coach
Kent's article reads to me like this deal isn't going the way News Ltd wanted it to :mrgreen:

it's poorly writtn has no figure and his nameless sources are not even from 9 or Fox

I was talking to a couple of people about it this morning.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Kent's article is trying to set themselves up as being the "heroes of Rugby League" later on.

aka FoxNRL blah blah blah...

El Diablo

Post Whore
it's funny he talks about a management shakeup too

he is referring to to the management his employer insisted on being in place for four years when News Ltd left the game

usually Kent makes sense but he is all over the place in this article

Gippsy

Bench
The AFL also benefited through Foxtel's desire to drive subscriptions in its flailing states - Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia.

I still can't believe this comment;

It is nothing but a fluke that they all happen to be AFL states.

It's no fluke. Rugby league, and therefore rugby league states, are driving the pay tv subscriptions. The fact they haven't had the level of new subcriptions they hoped for from afl states only confirms this.

Also;

Given the two major rugby league states, NSW and Queensland, already have a much higher percentage of pay-TV subscriptions, there is less upside for the pay-TV subscriber to compete for the NRL rights.

Really? They didn't mention there is a helluva downside for them though if they don't compete for the NRL rights. I wonder what would happen to their overall subscriptions if they didn't have rugby league.

News Ltd are starting to look desperate & dateless.

In-goal

Bench
Some of the worst media in recent times!!!

Right now, everyone is running for cover on heresay and bullshit. In a couple of months the corks will be flying or they will be flying, needless to say, one network or another will continue to provide Friday night pictures of the NRL.

How much, no one knows! And speculation suggests that everyone is guessing without true matter of fact, so stop being concerned, until it's time to be concerned.

$1B or not, the show must go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts