What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The team v Broncos

Diesel

Referee
Is anyone aware why the Broncos opened at $1.65 (after the SoO teams were announced and are now $1.91 equal favourites?

Have the Broncos had injuries?

Iafeta

Referee
Wasn't Fish the MOM 3 games ago and everyone was raving about him?

TBF, I thought Fish was fine against the Knights. He got caught out defensively once or twice when Tuimavave went walk abouts, but when Mannering was moved into the centres he basically ok. He got caught out on a bomb, but frankly I'm yet to see Tupou catch a bomb full stop.

WellsNZ

Juniors
People who are from other clubs seem to rate Hurrell highly. Just tonight a mate of mine, who knows his league, said he couldn't believe Hurrell was missing from first grade for so long.

Point is, Hurrell is rated. Just not by a lot us it seems. Although, it would be fair to say that most of us want him to do well, and have a cracker on Monday night.

I suspect many of these people only saw Hurrell's try total in his rookie season and a few highlight reel runs from him and haven't actually watched him glacially attempt to move sideways or show his inability to tackle.

All of the "experts" on the TV shows rave about how great he is as well, but these are the same people that think we are loaded with this huge polynesian forward pack that should stomp on everyone.

If you watch without paying much attention or only watch him on attack then Hurrell looks great, when you watch him as a fan of the team who he is a glaring weakness on defence for it's a different story.

That said I have been a huge fan of Hurrell before he cracked the 1st grade and continue to be, even though I advocated him getting dropped. The reason he was missing from first grade for so long should be pretty obvious to anyone who has watched much of him.

Blair

Coach
It must be a quiet week for Sydney clubs because the Warriors got two pretty good write ups in today's SMH.

Mateo and our coaching conjecture with Wane. Maloney was in there too with a big feature but, as is usually the case now, the Sydney media have forgotten (or don't want to know) that he was once with us. In fact, it should be widely acknowledged that we largely made him into what he is today (profile-wise at least).

For all they care he's always been from Easts.

WellsNZ, you're spot on re Hurrell. These people who don't follow our team week in week out are just seeing the highlight reels and hearing the hype.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
Maloney[/URL] was in there too with a big feature but, as is usually the case now, the Sydney media have forgotten (or don't want to know) that he was once with us. In fact, it should be widely acknowledged that we largely made him into what he is today (profile-wise at least).

For all they care he's always been from Easts.

Maybe cause its a case of who gives a shit (except a few warrior fans). Old news...

tangalife

Juniors
I suspect many of these people only saw Hurrell's try total in his rookie season and a few highlight reel runs from him and haven't actually watched him glacially attempt to move sideways or show his inability to tackle.

All of the "experts" on the TV shows rave about how great he is as well, but these are the same people that think we are loaded with this huge polynesian forward pack that should stomp on everyone.

If you watch without paying much attention or only watch him on attack then Hurrell looks great, when you watch him as a fan of the team who he is a glaring weakness on defence for it's a different story.

That said I have been a huge fan of Hurrell before he cracked the 1st grade and continue to be, even though I advocated him getting dropped. The reason he was missing from first grade for so long should be pretty obvious to anyone who has watched much of him.

My exact words as well.

Why would you listen to some other clubs fans over your own?

Meth

Staff member

I don't think many here are oblivious to the weaknesses in Hurrell's game. But, Nielsen aside, we don't really have a strong defensive centre. Who do we put on the other side? Laumape? I'd be fine with that, but the selectors don't seem to be. Tuimavave? Ropati? In the selectors minds, these blokes seem more likely and Hurrell offers more than both of them at centre.

I guess the question is what is the best way to fix some of Hurrell's defensive liabilities? Will we? Is playing him in the Vulcans correcting the issues with his defense?

ozbash

Referee
Is playing him in the Vulcans correcting the issues with his defense?

its got to help and the stakes are not so high. He needs time and hasn't really had any since his U20's days. going to be interesting..