What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TNA Impact Thread **Spoilers**

I know it wasnt his creation, but its reality booking.

WWE doesnt really book gimmicky. They have one or two in the midcard, The Leprachaun, The Undertaker (although I believe he should be exempt) and perhaps Kane, but even they have moved toward the more realistic type gimmicks eg. Edge, Orton, Kennedy, Morrison and Punk.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Cade & Murdoch, Jesse & Festus, Umaga, MVP initially, JBL, Cryme Tyme...

Plenty of gimmicky stuff, they're just smart enough to keep most of it kept near the midcard, as you say.

azzah72

Bench
I had never really watched TNA, other than a few matches off youtube from the early day, and know little about it ( i didn't know angle and booker are there).

To me, the wrestling (when there actually was some) was solid and entertaining. MCMG made a fan out of me, as did LAX. I've seen AJ before and he is still the goods, Tomko seems to have improved, cage, rhyno, sting and most of the others were just same old.

But the overall show to me was cheap, i mean wrestling society x cheap.

what they need is to get a better freaking production company, get rid of a few dead beats they have on the roster and do MORE wrestling on these shows.

Last time I saw it the X division was the Sh*t, whats happened there?

The Ladies seem to be slightly better in the ring to WWE but the story lines seem the same.

My understanding is that the way wrestling companies make money in by 3 main things, merchandise, ticket sales and ppv buys.

I doubt they would sell a whole lot of merch (i'm really looking forward to getting that TEAM CAGE shirt).

I don't think they sell tickets for impact do they?

and on the basis of that show last night, i wouldn't buy the ppv.

I'll watch it again to see what they do with their go home show but to me it was very second rate, and i doubt they have the money to improve it.

I'm going by first impressions here but i think they need to cut the crap out of the show, use the 2 hours to more effect. Instead of having a thousand talking segments, tell a story through a match, or have a match and have a quick mic moment afterwards.

It just felt like an hour before we saw and wrestling, and when the production values are that bad it make me feel like i am watching a b-grade tv show that isn't particularly interesting. Like North Shore or something.

When they are wrestling, they shine.

And theres a few things now that i never want to see in TNA again after d/l some ppv's and shows.

Reverse Battle Royal
King of the Mountain
Feast or Fired
Hard 10
Anything on a pole
Any matches that have a set up like the two matches with sting and Abyss in the past, the death bed one and the jail one?!?! - Stupid
Any match with more that one defining rule!

Matches don't need to have 3 Gimmicks and 9 Rules to be entertaining, i think they need to strip it bare bones on the matches and start using the more simple gimmick matches, ladder, cage, lms, i quit, tables, first blood.

Even only use those occasionally and then REALLY occasionally throw out a elevation X or a ultimate X or a barb wire match or TLC you get the picture..

I just think there trying to hard, let the wrestling to the talking and only do Gimmicks occasionally.

And with the gimmicks there Giving people, some are cool, i like Abyss and Rellik, Judas Mesias is a bit of a rip form undertaker or kane but is kinda cool, i'm not digging the wwf '99 rip offs though, there sorta funny but cheapen the brand in my opinion.

What they need is there own identity, i might get into that another time but i think i have typed too much.

*** This will probably sound like an incoherent rant because i was typing off the top of my head and can't be bothered re-reading or spell checking, apologies in advance ***

Misanthrope

Staff member
I doubt they would sell a whole lot of merch (i'm really looking forward to getting that TEAM CAGE shirt).

I don't think they sell tickets for impact do they?

and on the basis of that show last night, i wouldn't buy the ppv.

Actually, this year TNA is expected to announce its first profitable year in history. They broke even last year.

azzah72

Bench
Actually, this year TNA is expected to announce its first profitable year in history. They broke even last year.

Thats not really a good thing....

They need to do it regularly and actually make profit, not break even, if they do make profit then thats good but how many years has it been? I'd hate to know their debt.

Good luck to them though, i actually like the wrestlers and the wrestling i just can't get past those things that were annoying me.

Misanthrope

Staff member

Given they've only been around since 2002 and have had to attempt to compete with the WWE for that time, it's actually a very good thing that it's only taken six years to get to a profitable level. WCW was propped up for several years prior to and after its boom. Given the fact they need to keep recognisable faces on television and the WWE owns most of those - it's actually an impressive feat that as of this year they're expected to be a money making venture rather than something PandaEnergy sink their cash into.

Once Dead

Bench

They need to do it regularly and actually make profit, not break even, if they do make profit then thats good but how many years has it been? I'd hate to know their debt.

Good luck to them though, i actually like the wrestlers and the wrestling i just can't get past those things that were annoying me.

For a young, non touring wrestling company......that's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE step......WCW started out in the same way....TNA using the Impact! zone is practically using the old WCW Universal Studios Nitro model of business.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought last nights show was better than last weeks.

Consequences Creed reminds me of Shelton Benjamin and could have a big future in the business.

The Tag Team match was wickid! I've never seen Petey Williams before but his finisher is f'ing awesome.

Didn't catch the womens match but I heard it ended after this awesome finishing move.

Black Reign vs. Super Eric was alright.

Didn't end up catching the main event - Team 3D (Dudley Boyz) vs. Kevin Nash and Sting. Would've been good for nostalgia purposes however I had all the wrestling I could handle.

Only problem with Fox's broadcast is the amount of ads. Seriously each segment requires an ad which becomes really distracting.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Consequences Creed reminds me of Shelton Benjamin and could have a big future in the business.

Yeah, I got the same feeling when he debuted a few months back on PPV as part of Team Pacman alongside Ron Killings. He and Killings had a freakish chemistry. It's just a pity that Killings was released and is now with the 'E.

PARANoIR

Bench
Last nights show was okay. Nothing grand. I didn't see the whole thing. The finish to the chick match was pretty good. Sick move tbh.

Once Dead

Bench
All Im going to say about Lockdown is...ITS ABOUT FREAKING TIME

I say that it was a pretty good / entertaining PPV.......the Joe Angle match with an added MMA flavour was pretty well done....the emotion on Joe's face was priceless when he held the belt.....a new era for TNA!

Special K

Coach
Being bored and home alone on uni holidays I ordered Lockdown. I am enjoying TNA much more then WWE. Raw and Smackdown don't interest me, as weird and at times awful the gimmicky tna can be I just enjoy it more.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Watched my first episode of Impact on Saturday and really liked it, will be doing my best to catch it every week now. Reminded me of the style of show I remember watching as a kid.

The debut of TNA Impact on Fox8 was watched by 29,000 viewers according to ebroadcast.com.au, however last Saturday Night's episode increased and was watched by 47,000 viewers.

RAW and SmackDown were watched by 36,000 & 38,000 viewers respectively. Click below for the Top 100 shows on Pay TV (06/04/2008 - 12/04/2008) :

from wrestling.net.au

lol tna out rating wwe i guess people liked what they saw the first time

Latest posts