What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
For now, I need to figure out my 3 weeks in SE Asia plan. I have the options:

- Philippines
- Thailand (been before)
- Cambodia (been before)
- Malaysia
- Indonesia
- Vietnam

All are relatively cheap flights from here. Wanting beach time, so Thailand would be the obvious choice if I hadn't been there before and didn't intend to live there.

Normally, I'd say the Philippines, but things there aren't exactly stable right now either. Frustrate!

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know I say this every time, but....Malaysia.

Where would you recommend? My ex went last year and hated pretty much everything. Of course, with the exceptions of the Philippines and Thailand, she's hated everywhere she's ever been.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Vietnam would be radical. One of my favorite top gear episodes was in Nam, going to all those places would be sick

Misanthrope

Staff member
Vietnam would be radical. One of my favorite top gear episodes was in Nam, going to all those places would be sick

:lol: My mate here (not Beeker) was bugging me to do a similar tour of Vietnam with him, but my brothers take priority over a boozy three week motorbike trip.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Getting anywhere from Australia is shitty. Worst country to be in for travel.

My mate lives in Darwin.

We are meeting in bangkok in May. It is costing my $1000 return with royal thai bris to bangkok direct

He is going Darwin to Bali for $129 then Bali to bangkok for $100

Seems Darwin is the Shiz to get to asia from

Bazal

Post Whore
KL is good if you like a modern asian city and you want to spend some time in bars and malls. I personally find it a little dull but there's always something to see just wandering, and as I'm sure you know already that's often an experience in itself in Asia. Culturally speaking the National Museum and the Islamic Art Gallery are worth a stop over, as is the National Mosque and the Lake Gardens. Batu Caves is just out of town and is a must see for me, just incredible but can be really overloaded with tourists. Chinatown is fantastic, as with any genuine Chinese quarter. Sunway Lagoon used to be a pretty epic water park too, apparently it's been upgraded but I haven't been since I was a kid. Obviously there's the Twin Towers if you're that way inclined. There are heaps of ethnic quarters as well that are worth a look...Ampang Jaya for Korean, Bukit Bintang has a sizeable Arabic community, loads of Indian and sub continental areas too, Burmese, everything you can think of really.

Melaka is a great old town that used to be the cente of the Dutch shipping trade, so it's full of history. And some great food. It's a quiet little town though so not a lot to do after dark. Heaps of museums and historical sights. Jonkers Street is the best place for food and has a good night market.

Penang is the best spot I reckon. Easily the best food in Malaysia. Batu Ferrenghi has some great beaches and markets. You can hop the Ferry over to Butterworth just for a poke around for an afternoon, there are some great food stalls and markets over there (especially the wet market-which are morning food markets) and despite being where the RAAF base is it's much less frequented by westerners. Georgetown has all the history from the colonial times (parts of it are UNESCO listed) and fantastic food, you can poke around the fort, check out the Khoo Khongsi which is an old gang house. Also Kapitan Keling Mosque. Kek Lok Si (AKA Temple of a Thousand Steps :p) is a great spot and a beautiful temple with a cool little market stretched all the way up the massively long staircase to the temple at the top. You can go up Penang Hill, either by train or hiking through some pretty cool jungle, to get stunning views of the island. The tropical fruit farm is actually really cool. Snake Temple, War Museum, if you're there during Chinese New Year it has hands down the best celebrations and does every festival with style. There's hundreds of markets, great food everywhere, you can have a wander around the Weld, which is the jetty community where the oldest Chinese families still live. It's as multicultural a city as you'll ever see.

From Penang you can get a 2-3 hour ferry to Langkawi, which is a pretty top island. It may not always have the most stunning beaches depending on ocean currents at the time but it's a great tropical stop over to just chill out for a few days, hang with other backpackers and drink in a resort on a budget compared to loads of other places.

If you're really keen on the natural side of things you can head over to Sabah/Sarawak for some of the best diving in the world IMO...also orang utan sanctuaries where you can spend the day interacting with orangs, elephant and sea turtle sanctuaries, rainforest trekking, Mt Kinabalu (although it's a 2-3 day trek, it's pretty amazing). There are also national parks on the mainland where you can see Elephants and Tigers, but you have to be incredibly lucky for the most part.

Pulau Tioman off the east coast is one of my favourite island destinations. Nice resorts, some excellent diving, and if you really want a powerful experience you can dive the wrecks of the HMS Repulse and Prince of Wales, WW2 Battleships.

Kuala Terrenganu is an interesting little place to spend a few days. More local than a lot of the bigger tourist destinations if you want to get a bit more of an authentic Malay experience. It's also the beach where WW2 started in the pacific.

The Cameron Highlands are a good place to stop over for a little while. There's not a whole lot up there bar tea and strawberries and rainforest but it's a nice spot to escape the heat and relax given the average temp is in the low 20s.

Johor is the city on the very southern tip of the mainland, easy access to Singapore for the day or a few nights and some of the best seafood outside Penang, with a pretty good spread of markets and other cultural attractions.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah - but it's different for a depressed (or formerly depressed) person,,,

I feel you there. The Black Dog has been hindering my social life for as long as I can remember. My theatrical training helps somewhat, but only for the observer :p

Eelementary

Post Whore
I feel you there. The Black Dog has been hindering my social life for as long as I can remember. My theatrical training helps somewhat, but only for the observer :p

It makes things difficult, because people don't understand what's going on inside our heads - and you try to explain it and they're either all, "Suck it up!" or, "Ah, ok."

sportive cupid

Referee
You've been seeking the wrong sources of advice Eelementary .

Useful therapy will usually involve some challenging of unhelpful thought patterns,but never include " suck it up"

If you are serious PM me and I can give you some useful contacts in your area.

Springs

First Grade
It makes things difficult, because people don't understand what's going on inside our heads - and you try to explain it and they're either all, "Suck it up!" or, "Ah, ok."

I can't stand idiots like that. Especially the ones that say 'get over it'. Telling a depressed person that is akin to telling a guy with a broken leg to just get up and walk.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I can't stand idiots like that. Especially the ones that say 'get over it'. Telling a depressed person that is akin to telling a guy with a broken leg to just get up and walk.

The number of 'friends' I defriended on Facebook and cut out of my life back in 2011 when I was going through arguably the worst patch of it I ever had was huge. So much ignorance out there.

Curtis89

Juniors
I plan to head to the States late next year. Of course, New York and LA will be places to visit but do you guys have any other recommendations?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I plan to head to the States late next year. Of course, New York and LA will be places to visit but do you guys have any other recommendations?

Plenty.

Vegas is obviously pretty rad. I preferred San Francisco to LA, and Monterey was pretty nice too. Great aquarium there. Yosemite is beautiful if you have the time.

Portland in Oregon is my favourite city in the States. Great beer and food culture, and some beautiful forests and beaches nearby. No good for swimming though.

Florida was nice. Miami was a crowded mess, but the west coast was nice. The Everglades are pretty stunning.

Phoenix is missable, but Flagstaff and the nearby Grand Canyon are great.

Latest posts