What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There needs to be a FTA bidder on Saturday night to put the wind up Foxtel.

Wouldnt it be great if there was some combination of 7, 9 & 10 that could cover all the time slots from Friday through Monday?

Fox couldnt afford to lose its Cash Cow NRL completely so they would be forced to outbid FTA on Sat nights...

I would be happy with the following ( assuming 18 teams and 9 games per week);

Fri Night 7.30 & 9.30 - Channel 10
Sat Night 3 games - Fox
Sunday 2pm and 4pm - Channel Nine
Sunday 6pm - Fox
Monday night - Channel 7

bobmar28

Bench
I don't know what you mean by 'YOUR' team. There's a demo of general league fans who tune in on Sunday regardless of whether or not their team is playing. What we get in the double header scenario are the viewers from 2pm spilling over into 4pm as a lead in - but you also double the amount of team fans (4 bases instead of 2) who watch at 4pm again because of the lead in effect.

As for 2pm being a poor time, it's better than 9:30pm Fridays and better than what Saturday & Sunday can get standalone. There are plenty of other sports that play at that time and it doesn't affect their support. Also if the NRL wants to get serious about its coverage and advertising revenue the potential is there for a 1:30pm start which allows for an additional half hour of advertising and panel programs. The NRL on Sundays needs to be heading towards an NFL style of back to back games, which from what I understand, is going to happen.

back to back games suit NRL which is only 80 minutes long. AFL and NFL games are much longer.

applesauce

Bench
9 won't let themselves get outbid by 20%. Let's not forget in the pricerange we're talking, 20% is a massive amount of money.

9's part will be the FTA componant.

7 Paid $350mill+ for the AFL 20% of that is not much to a network (7) who want to a) let 9 lose F&L rights b) want 9 to pay top dollar knowing they will pay up if they have to.

I don't think if the opening combined bid from 9/Fox needs to be 20% of say $750mill but thew FTA componant 9 will be paying.

Doug2234

First Grade
I'd prefer it too be a pay TV exclusive. We wouldn't have to put up with shithouse coverage. Show it live on pay TV and let the commercial stations delay the game fill it with adds like the vampires they are whilst I'm watching the game live.

This. Let FTA have 4 games, but Fox Sports shows all games live. Much like the AFL deal.

HD and no Ads.. Worth the 90 a month....

BuffaloRules

Coach
This. Let FTA have 4 games, but Fox Sports shows all games live. Much like the AFL deal.

HD and no Ads.. Worth the 90 a month....

The games will be live on FTA under the next contract except for the 9.30 game on Friday night ( and even this will be live occasionally when Perth is playing at 7.30pm Perth time...)

Foxtel needs to properly compensate the NRL.. without the NRL there would be no Foxtel..

user_nat

Coach
I think Foxtel will try and get all games like they did with AFL. That alone should up their pay.

imasharkie

Coach
Why isn't there an option for Fox.
Seems to me that Fox will be a big player in the tv rights deal and you're ignoring them.

Who holds the current Paytv rights for the NRL?

I'm fairly sure it's the company that runs Fox Sports and not Foxtel.

How would the money differ if the rights were owned by Foxtel as compared to Fox Sports?

Doug2234

First Grade
The games will be live on FTA under the next contract except for the 9.30 game on Friday night ( and even this will be live occasionally when Perth is playing at 7.30pm Perth time...)

Foxtel needs to properly compensate the NRL.. without the NRL there would be no Foxtel..

Im not sure what your getting at.. I never said games wouldn't be on FTA live or the NRL wont be compensated accordingly.... Fox will pay this time round...

I was pointing out the superior coverage that Fox Sports provides compared to the shit FTA dish up each week... Example: State of Origin - the so called Jewel in the Crown of Rugby League isnt shown in HD FFS. What a joke!!

Funny thing is that Ch9 film the game in HD, but dont show it in HD. Fox Sports replay of the Ch9 recorded State of Origin II the following day in HD made the game that much more enjoyable.... If all i had was SD NRL each week filled with ads, i would be very very pissed...

bluesbreaker

Bench
What that guy disappear once we get a big deal.

Get f**ked trackhead. I've been here a lot longer than you. I'll eat my serving if i'm proved wrong. We've already got industry 'insiders' saying we're going to have to settle for 800 mill.

Anything less than a billion is a tragedy.

taipan

Referee
The game is heading for 18 teams.I would be offering either FTA or Pay,a sunday twilight game.It would rate its proverbials off,and would get a decent crowd IMO.
If the game gets only $800m from 18 teams,ie worth 50% less than fumbleball),the negotiators need tarring and feathering.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The game is heading for 18 teams.I would be offering either FTA or Pay,a sunday twilight game.It would rate its proverbials off,and would get a decent crowd IMO.
If the game gets only $800m from 18 teams,ie worth 50% less than fumbleball),the negotiators need tarring and feathering.

probably the same insiders that were saying the AFL wouldn't get $1 billion

Channel Ten set to bid to snare Friday night football from Channel Nine
Exclusive by Dean Ritchie
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rom-channel-nine/story-e6frexnr-1226079509619

The Daily Telegraph has been told Ten executives have spoken extensively about their bid for the Friday evening games under the new NRL television deal to start in 2013. Ten insiders said the network was "highly enthusiastic" about its chances of pinching either the Friday game or even the Monday night match.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal that NRL chief executive David Gallop has held top-level discussions with acting Ten CEO Lachlan Murdoch in recent months. Murdoch is a known rugby league fan. Ten insists its decision to air two weekly rugby league programs on its One HD channel - The Game Plan and One Week At A Time - is proof of the station's intent to align itself with rugby league.

Ten sources also claim the station has money to spend after walking away from AFL. "It is encouraging to hear of Ten's interest," Gallop said. "Clearly Friday night football is one of the greatest programs in Australian television. "Subject to our own contractual obligations, certainly we will be interested in talking to all the networks when the time comes." The NRL maintains it can attract an overall package through free-to-air and pay-television worth $1 billion. Some industry insiders though say the NRL may have to settle for about $800 million:crazy:.

Aside from Ten, Seven last night reaffirmed its intent to broadcast rugby league. A Seven spokesman said: "We're looking forward to participating in the negotiations for the next NRL television rights. "It's a great game. "Our CEO David Leckie loves league."

Nine has a first and last agreement with the NRL and remains committed to rugby league for the new term, between 2013 until 2017. Sources have indicated, though, that the NRL would link with a rival network if it can supersede the Nine bid by about 20 per cent.

Rugby league provides 77 of the top 100 programs for pay-television. Nine and Fox paid $500 million for the current deal. If Ten grab Monday night football, that could leave Fox Sports with its Super Saturday coverage. Should Ten win the rights for Friday night, it would leave Nine with only the Sunday afternoon game :lol:.
Looks like TEN are done with Fumbleball
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...beyond-this-year/story-e6frg8zx-1226079507398
Ten forgoes opportunity to take costly AFL beyond this year

THE chances of Ten Network Holdings broadcasting AFL beyond this year appear close to non-existent after interim chief executive Lachlan Murdoch passed on the opportunity re-enter negotiations with Seven West Media.

It is believed Mr Murdoch did not take up Seven's offer to buy two regular games per round on a take-it-or-leave-it basis before a nominal deadline last Friday.
While a deal between Seven and Ten could still be struck in theory, both sides now believe such a scenario is highly unlikely.
Seven and Ten share the current free-to-air rights and were bidding together for the 2012-16 rights, until Mr Murdoch decided the asking price had become too high. Seven ended up purchasing the rights, including four regular season matches per round, for $475 million, but left the door open for further negotiations with Ten.
But Mr Murdoch has made it clear the network's focus on costs means it cannot justify paying close to what Seven paid for the AFL. While the two networks have clashed over the defection of senior Seven executive James Warburton to run Ten, the split over AFL is unrelated and relatively amicable.

Last edited:

andrew057

First Grade
Get f**ked trackhead. I've been here a lot longer than you. I'll eat my serving if i'm proved wrong. We've already got industry 'insiders' saying we're going to have to settle for 800 mill.

Same 'insiders' that said AFL wouldnt get 1 billion?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well got back from my hols to this news, why am I not surprised? Les look at the facts; AFL and S14 both expanded BEFORE TV negotiations as they knew it would boost their TV value. NRL doesn;t, any coincidence?

bluesbreaker

Bench
Well got back from my hols to this news, why am I not surprised? Les look at the facts; AFL and S14 both expanded BEFORE TV negotiations as they knew it would boost their TV value. NRL doesn;t, any coincidence?

But but but but we (may be) expanding in the 3rd year of the deal, isn't that good enough?!

Everyone here is to f**king stupid to understand the benefits, Perth Red.

bluesbreaker

Bench
We'll see whose right and whose wrong when the deal comes around. What are we offering that's new to the networks since last time?

The game still rates off its tits in the 3 markets its shown in, just as it did prior to 2007. As i've stated a thousand times before, the reason the AFL keeps getting ridiculous sums of money is because they are showing they have potential to grow into new markets. What's so hard to understand?

This rubbish about expanding halfway through the deal adds absolutely nothing to the value of the TV contract. You're all saying exactly the same shit that came around last time we got diddled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts