What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quidgybo

Bench
The more I think about this the more I keep coming back to the conclusion that the best balance for all the competing interests is two doubleheaders, Friday and Sunday, from a fixed selection of three games in each of the slots.

FRIDAY 7.15pm (local) - 3 games
- 1 NSW derby
- 1 game involving a Queensland team (inc. half of Qld derbys)
- 1 game involving WA (18 out of 26 weeks - half of Reds home games and all Reds away games)

- all 3 games live on pay
- free to air can screen any 2 two games in each local market - 7pm and 9pm (local)
- the 2 games may not be screened simultaneously on free to air in the same market
- derby matches can be screened on free to air live against the gate
- non derby home games cannot be shown live against the gate on free to air in the home market, they can be replayed in the late slot.

On Friday nights, the biggest rating slot is the early "live" slot - 7pm (local). The free to air network would be able to show a NSW derby live in this slot in Sydney, Qld derbys and Qld away games live in this slot in Brisbane, and Reds away matches on replay in this slot in Perth.

The lower rating but higher advertising volume slot on Friday night is the late "replay" slot - 9pm (local). The free to air network could show a non derby NSW game on replay or live from Perth in this slot in Sydney, a non derby Qld game on replay or live from Perth in this slot in Brisbane, and Reds home matches matches on replay in this slot in Perth.

SUNDAY 2.15pm (EST) - 3 games
- 1 NSW derby
- 1 game involving a Queensland team (inc. half of Qld derbys)
- 1 game involving Storm (18 out of 26 weeks - 10 Storm home games and 8 away games)

- all 3 games live on pay
- free to air can screen any 2 two games in each local market - 2pm and 4pm (EST), 12pm and 2pm (WST)
- the 2 games may not be screened simultaneously on free to air in the same market
- derby matches cannot be screened on free to air live against the gate in the home market, they can be replayed in the late slot.
- non derby home games can be shown live against the gate.

On Sunday afternoons, the biggest rating and advertising volume slot is the late replay slot - 4pm (EST). The free to air network would be able to show a NSW derby in this slot in Sydney, a game involving a Queensland team in this slot in Brisbane, and any match involving the Storm in this slot in Melbourne.

The lower rating and lower advertising volume slot on Sunday afternoon is the early live slot - 2pm (EST). The free to air network can show a non derby NSW game live in this slot in Sydney, a non derby Qld game live in this slot in Brisbane, and Storm away matches in this slot in Melbourne.

Pay TV is the only place to see every match live. People wanting to watch any game live regardless of free to air restrictions will have to subscribe. On Sundays Pay TV will likely get to show the choice game for each market first in the live 2pm slot because the free to air networks will delay the best game in each market to lead into the news in the late 4pm replay slot. It will also have a monopoly on live Friday night telecasts into Perth.

The game gets a fixed schedule while still allowing free to air networks a choice of matches to maximise ratings. It can guarantee coverage of teams into their home markets while providing some protection against live free to air telecasts against the gate. On Friday night there is an explicit block on live coverage of non derby home games in local markets, and on Sunday there is an implicit encouragement to replay big matches and home team games in the higher rating late slot.

Teams get the flexibility to request their home games be scheduled in the slots that best suit their fans. Canberra can request most of their home games on Sunday afternoon knowing that they don't need to be in the top two TV picks for larger markets. Likewise the Cowboys can request most of their home games on Saturday nights knowing that their away matches will still provide plenty of opportunity for free to air coverage in their home markets.

Storm matches can be scheduled at a consistent 4pm Sunday slot in Melbourne to build an audience and maximize ratings potentially as a lead into the news. Reds matches could similarly be scheduled consistently on Friday night for Perth to build an audience and maxmise ratings. Perth could take the games on Sundays (ie. when the Reds don't play) at the same time as the east coast (12pm and 2pm local) allowing a higher rating program to be shown afterwards as lead into the news.

Leigh

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
Here and there, sure. But several times in every post?
I dont see the point in starting a pissing contest with how much money THEY got.

Seems like a geniused way to conduct yourself about how much money the game gets.

bluesbreaker

Bench
I call it the AFL everytime I post to avoid being put into the 'AFL Apologist' category that usually comes out whenever someone criticizes the way the NRL do business.

If you'd been here longer than a month, you'd probably have known that.

And El D, I will fret until I see some evidence that we're not going to get diddled again. With Gallop continuing on as the mouthpiece for our sport as a professional entity, I have absolutely no confidence in this billion dollar figure.

From where I stand, significant improvements in the markets we already own brings nothing new to the table for broadcasters. And make no mistake, it is all about the money for TV rights. How do you think the AFL keep throwing these new teams around willy-nilly? If we get f**ked again we are in serious serious trouble.

And fwiw, if ESPN U.S.A. wanted to bid 1 billion for our sport and then on-sell like the G_A_Y_F_L (Just for you big fella) did, then sell it to them. Failing anyone going near the billion we need, negotiate the best possible deal including contra advertising, a guarantee to follow through on 'use it or lose it' and nationwide coverage.

Doom and Gloom but if the NRL does go belly-up, i'll go back to watching the Macquarie Scorps play Wests Maggots of a sunday afternoon at Lyall Peacock oval if I have to. What about the other people around who don't have a strong local competition to support?

bluesbreaker

Bench
I'd also like to add that the difference between our expansion teams and the AFLs expansion teams is we've got areas with grassroots support who are screaming for a team, not just put there with the 'build it and they will come' philosophy.

Anonymous punters have actually put in the time and effort to help develop the bids of Perth, Brisbane #2, Western corridor QLD, Sunshine Coast, Wellington and (even though it's a laughable concept) PNG. It's not just about Andrew demkieryohalsjhdjksahkjashksaj waving a blank cheque book in front of the noses of A couple of out-of-towners and saying 'the team is going there, whether the public wants it or not'.

docbrown

Coach
Doc, what do you think of a 6:30 game on FTA, after the news? Live or on half hour delay.

The problem on F2A is that there's still a divide between the Northern and Southern states. It's very hard to come up with a strong alternate programming for outside NSW & QLD on a Sunday evening or Monday evening (hence the AFL's problem with 7). It will be some time before it's a viable regular F2A slot for either code for that main reason - but that said, it'd be an absolute goldmine for Foxtel which already has a captive audience and it should be an option for the next negotiations.

But looking at Channel 10's 5-7:30pm block it's usually rather dismal which is surprising given that it leads into Masterchef. I did spitball on the old thread once before about a double header on 10 which could incorporate their news bulletin in between.

I believe the NRL needs a combination fixed/floating schedule and we need to be looking at staging some blockbuster Sunday night games on F2A where the next day is a public holiday.

docbrown

Coach
The Daily Telegraph can also reveal that NRL chief executive David Gallop has held top-level discussions with acting Ten CEO Lachlan Murdoch in recent months. Murdoch is a known rugby league fan. Ten insists its decision to air two weekly rugby league programs on its One HD channel - The Game Plan and One Week At A Time - is proof of the station's intent to align itself with rugby league.

Nine has a first and last agreement with the NRL and remains committed to rugby league for the new term, between 2013 until 2017. Sources have indicated, though, that the NRL would link with a rival network if it can supersede the Nine bid by about 20 per cent.

100% true, I even posted this on the old thread.

Gallop hasn't met with Murdoch recently because the clubs asked him to hold off but the talk was about simulcasting games with Foxtel. Since that time 10, despite still broadcasting AFL, has beefed up its league related coverage. You may have noticed this on the news bulletins etc.

The advantage with 10 on Friday nights is that the networks are very flexible with their multi-state channeling arrangements. They would be willing to show on Fridays the 7pm Project only in the Southern States and start the NRL coverage at 7pm in NSW, QLD, ACT & NT. In this manner they can introduce 'bookends' before a 7:20-7:25pm start, similar to AFL broadcasts. So with the same material as 9 has, 10 can automatically get more out of it simply due to their flexibility.

And regarding the 20% either Nine puts in a massive first bid for their existing package - and I mean massive - or the 20% will be broken on the first counter bid. All the NRL has to do is offer additional material and options that get 7 &/or 10 to put in a proposal where they're still covering the revenue base but exceeds the 20%. After that, the rights are broken and all three parties would have to bid blind.

docbrown

Coach
There needs to be a FTA bidder on Saturday night to put the wind up Foxtel.

Wouldnt it be great if there was some combination of 7, 9 & 10 that could cover all the time slots from Friday through Monday?

Remember the subscription bid is to cover the existing package. If the F2A first and last rights get broken, 7, 9 & 10 will likely choose to pick at Foxtel games as well, at which point the NRL should be introducing as many options to the bidders to create the greatest amount of competitive tension.

back to back games suit NRL which is only 80 minutes long. AFL and NFL games are much longer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again but back to back games are our greatest broadcasting weapon.

BDGS

Bench
100% true, I even posted this on the old thread.

Gallop hasn't met with Murdoch recently because the clubs asked him to hold off but the talk was about simulcasting games with Foxtel. Since that time 10, despite still broadcasting AFL, has beefed up its league related coverage. You may have noticed this on the news bulletins etc.

The advantage with 10 on Friday nights is that the networks are very flexible with their multi-state channeling arrangements. They would be willing to show on Fridays the 7pm Project only in the Southern States and start the NRL coverage at 7pm in NSW, QLD, ACT & NT. In this manner they can introduce 'bookends' before a 7:20-7:25pm start, similar to AFL broadcasts. So with the same material as 9 has, 10 can automatically get more out of it simply due to their flexibility.

And regarding the 20% either Nine puts in a massive first bid for their existing package - and I mean massive - or the 20% will be broken on the first counter bid. All the NRL has to do is offer additional material and options that get 7 &/or 10 to put in a proposal where they're still covering the revenue base but exceeds the 20%. After that, the rights are broken and all three parties would have to bid blind.

Will League coverage in places like Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth be put in on FTA?
It's a shame these supporters have to wait until fox show these games and depend on fox for live games.

docbrown

Coach
Gee Lachlan Murdoch v Fox. That will be a hard tough battle

That's not the battle. As I've said, 10 + Premier will be in cahoots and once more the only way it works for them is by superseding 9's F&LR's. Don't be surprised if 10 and 7 join forces on the first counter bid in order to affect that.

But Fox will also be keeping its options open so it can also partner with 7 & 9 to gets its full simulcast.

docbrown

Coach
Will League coverage in places like Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth be put in on FTA?
It's a shame these supporters have to wait until fox show these games and depend on fox for live games.

It's all heading towards digital coverage for those states with which 10 has probably been the best out of the 3 networks in arranging when it comes to sports.

kurt faulk

Coach
Gee Lachlan Murdoch v Fox. That will be a hard tough battle

actually it's murdoch vs channel 9. maybe channel 7 as well.

i think it's a great idea to split up the deal. channel 10 are after friday night or monday night games.

channel 9 have the right to the last bid and they don't want to lose their premier money earner in friday night football.

this could be interesting.

from a fan perpective channel 10 brought the best coverage of league i have seen. but it was so far back i have no idea how good they will be this time round if they win the rights.

i do know their recent efforts of the superbowl coveragee have been awful but they were pushing the afl barrow so maybe once that is gone they will actually be quite good. no idea what their afl coverage was like because i never watched a game.

kurt faulk

Coach
Most of them.

Unlike most people on here I remember what Murdoch did to us...

he had no choice.

arturton and quayle had locked him out of the pay tv rights as they had given them away for peanuts to packer for a few years.

murdoch needed league to launch foxtel in nsw and qld.

instead of sticking by the snake packer the duo should have tried to work out something to keep everyone happy. after being screwed sideways by packer in the deal beforehand the duo bent over again and stuck solidly by him only to see him strike a deal with murdoch to show some stupidleague games. they were very naive in their handling of the situation with the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts