What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Internet Television is the future, it is how I see myself watching all my footy in a couple of years.

It seems incredulous to me that so many of you are still keen to part with $90 a month for Foxtel and all the rubbish that comes with it.

On another point, why would it not be possible in future for the controlling body of Rugby League to not have any negotiation with anyone? Should they simply not sell Internet TV packages to subscribers direct?

For instance, one could pay $400 for all Rugby League games for a year, or some other relevant figure. Surely 1 million subscribers per year would be sufficient to make enough money for the game once costs are covered.

This is a very uneducated summation of things, so perhaps one of the more learned contributors could debunk my spifballings.

bender

Juniors
I think this is definitely the way of the future.

In fact, i think this will probably be the last of the big money deals for free to air television, and i cant see free to air tv surviving for all that much longer as it is. I would have no problem if the NRL sacrificed some money for longevity in the next deal. I think that things are changing and it is important for all sports that they keep up with the technology and be very careful with the way the handle the options.

docbrown

Coach
What's interesting to note is that last Sunday's NRL game rated 558k in 3 capital city markets when targeted to only 2 (Syd + Mel).

If we do go to double headers on Sunday afternoons featuring at least one Queensland team, two NSW teams and most weeks either one of Melbourne, Perth, Canberra or Auckland, you could expect to see Sydney 400k+, Brisbane 200k+, Perth/Melbourne/Adelaide 100k+ - usually around the 650k-700k in Metros for the 4 hours + 600k in the Regionals.

I've said it before but it has the potential to match or even outrate the current Friday night setup.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Internet Television is the future, it is how I see myself watching all my footy in a couple of years.

It seems incredulous to me that so many of you are still keen to part with $90 a month for Foxtel and all the rubbish that comes with it.

On another point, why would it not be possible in future for the controlling body of Rugby League to not have any negotiation with anyone? Should they simply not sell Internet TV packages to subscribers direct?

For instance, one could pay $400 for all Rugby League games for a year, or some other relevant figure. Surely 1 million subscribers per year would be sufficient to make enough money for the game once costs are covered.

This is a very uneducated summation of things, so perhaps one of the more learned contributors could debunk my spifballings.

fair enough, but how much do you pay for the internet per month ?

applesauce

Bench
NFL has something called NFL films don't they?

In the US EVERY TEAM and LEAGUE has it's own channel on cable.

They use the feeds of the networks that they sell the coverage to for games (much like the current internet feeds). The rest of the time these channels have shows like NRL on Fox, League Lounge etc on the individual teams and leagues.

Once things like NBA LP take off further they will be able to cut out the middle man and contract the production (to companies like Madison Square Garden who own the Knicks and have a multi channel network) and sell their own ads during time outs, breaks, halftime etc.

The money they would make from ads and subscriptions alone would far outweigh the cost of outsourcing production to the lowest bidder.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors

NBA already do this. its called league pass. costs about $70 for the year, this is in conjunction with free to air rights though. not exclusive.

NBA have their own production for extras called NBA TV but most of the games are covered by a local station or a bigger network for a bigger games.

babyg

Juniors
What's interesting to note is that last Sunday's NRL game rated 558k in 3 capital city markets when targeted to only 2 (Syd + Mel).

If we do go to double headers on Sunday afternoons featuring at least one Queensland team, two NSW teams and most weeks either one of Melbourne, Perth, Canberra or Auckland, you could expect to see Sydney 400k+, Brisbane 200k+, Perth/Melbourne/Adelaide 100k+ - usually around the 650k-700k in Metros for the 4 hours + 600k in the Regionals.

I've said it before but it has the potential to match or even outrate the current Friday night setup.

Would that not mean the you would be watching YOUR team play at 2pm (which I consider a poor time), and then the weaker game will be the lead in to the news. Either that or the targeted game will be the delayed game at 4pm.

docbrown

Coach
Would that not mean the you would be watching YOUR team play at 2pm (which I consider a poor time), and then the weaker game will be the lead in to the news. Either that or the targeted game will be the delayed game at 4pm.

I don't know what you mean by 'YOUR' team. There's a demo of general league fans who tune in on Sunday regardless of whether or not their team is playing. What we get in the double header scenario are the viewers from 2pm spilling over into 4pm as a lead in - but you also double the amount of team fans (4 bases instead of 2) who watch at 4pm again because of the lead in effect.

As for 2pm being a poor time, it's better than 9:30pm Fridays and better than what Saturday & Sunday can get standalone. There are plenty of other sports that play at that time and it doesn't affect their support. Also if the NRL wants to get serious about its coverage and advertising revenue the potential is there for a 1:30pm start which allows for an additional half hour of advertising and panel programs. The NRL on Sundays needs to be heading towards an NFL style of back to back games, which from what I understand, is going to happen.

nrlnrl

First Grade
NBA already do this. its called league pass. costs about $70 for the year, this is in conjunction with free to air rights though. not exclusive.

NBA have their own production for extras called NBA TV but most of the games are covered by a local station or a bigger network for a bigger games.

MLB also have a deal & it costs around $120 - great value considering the number of games you can watch. ( you have a choice of home or away coverage which is a nice option )

BDGS

Bench
I don't know what you mean by 'YOUR' team. There's a demo of general league fans who tune in on Sunday regardless of whether or not their team is playing. What we get in the double header scenario are the viewers from 2pm spilling over into 4pm as a lead in - but you also double the amount of team fans (4 bases instead of 2) who watch at 4pm again because of the lead in effect.

As for 2pm being a poor time, it's better than 9:30pm Fridays and better than what Saturday & Sunday can get standalone. There are plenty of other sports that play at that time and it doesn't affect their support. Also if the NRL wants to get serious about its coverage and advertising revenue the potential is there for a 1:30pm start which allows for an additional half hour of advertising and panel programs. The NRL on Sundays needs to be heading towards an NFL style of back to back games, which from what I understand, is going to happen.

We have a 2pm game now, how does that rate on fox compared to fox's other games?

docbrown

Coach
We have a 2pm game now, how does that rate on fox compared to fox's other games?

It's obviously not as big as Saturday 7:30pm or Monday 7:00pm standalone games currently on Foxtel. However you need to think outside the square with it and view it as part of a potential double header arrangement.

You will get a bigger percentage lead in audience and follow through from 2pm to 6pm than you do on Friday nights or would with Saturday night double headers - indeed the second game at 4pm will rate higher than the first game which is something you don't get at night.

Two Sunday games that can capture 4 team markets back to back will outrate standalone games on two seperate days, even if it were Saturday & Monday (which won't happen because Sunday is required for the news lead in). Plus as I said there's more potential for book ends and advertising blocks.

Any channel that draws a 650k news lead in can dominate Sunday nights and that's where the real value lies. Monday & Saturday nights don't lead into any other top draw programming.

Last edited:

NrlCoach

Juniors
Channel Ten set to bid to snare Friday night football from Channel Nine
Exclusive by Dean Ritchie
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rom-channel-nine/story-e6frexnr-1226079509619

The Daily Telegraph has been told Ten executives have spoken extensively about their bid for the Friday evening games under the new NRL television deal to start in 2013. Ten insiders said the network was "highly enthusiastic" about its chances of pinching either the Friday game or even the Monday night match.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal that NRL chief executive David Gallop has held top-level discussions with acting Ten CEO Lachlan Murdoch in recent months. Murdoch is a known rugby league fan. Ten insists its decision to air two weekly rugby league programs on its One HD channel - The Game Plan and One Week At A Time - is proof of the station's intent to align itself with rugby league.

Ten sources also claim the station has money to spend after walking away from AFL. "It is encouraging to hear of Ten's interest," Gallop said. "Clearly Friday night football is one of the greatest programs in Australian television. "Subject to our own contractual obligations, certainly we will be interested in talking to all the networks when the time comes." The NRL maintains it can attract an overall package through free-to-air and pay-television worth $1 billion. Some industry insiders though say the NRL may have to settle for about $800 million:crazy:.

Aside from Ten, Seven last night reaffirmed its intent to broadcast rugby league. A Seven spokesman said: "We're looking forward to participating in the negotiations for the next NRL television rights. "It's a great game. "Our CEO David Leckie loves league."

Nine has a first and last agreement with the NRL and remains committed to rugby league for the new term, between 2013 until 2017. Sources have indicated, though, that the NRL would link with a rival network if it can supersede the Nine bid by about 20 per cent.

Rugby league provides 77 of the top 100 programs for pay-television. Nine and Fox paid $500 million for the current deal. If Ten grab Monday night football, that could leave Fox Sports with its Super Saturday coverage. Should Ten win the rights for Friday night, it would leave Nine with only the Sunday afternoon game :lol:.

BunniesMan

Immortal
9 won't let themselves get outbid by 20%. Let's not forget in the pricerange we're talking, 20% is a massive amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.