What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I would think that they love the second game since it has so many ad breaks as it's not live, but maybe they don't rate as well or are as cost effective as the other crap they could put on at 9:30 on a Friday?

Looking at the ratings, the second game doesnt rate well at all, although I dont know what else they would show at that time that would rate any better ..

Maybe an option would be to show the second game live at the same time as the main game on GO?

Im just guessing obviously - would love to know what else Gyngell said.

Quidgybo

Bench
I dont tend to watch the Pre and Post game shows... too may ads...

Looking at the ratings for the pre and post game shows, I'm not alone...
That's what makes the suggestion about pre and post game shows so ridiculous. It's the game that keeps a large audience hooked enough to stick through the ads. Take away the game and the viewers drift off as soon as the ads start. The problem here is how much advertising revenue the game itself can generate for the network, not what can be done at each end of it. Fewer ads translates directly to less in advertising revenue and in turn less value for the rights.

Leigh

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
Dumb pricks complaining about more ads but he's the one who went live on Friday nights.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
So they want Rugby League, say they're not going to lose it, but only want one game on Friday night? Why would the NRL ever agree to that.

I think breaking the game into quarters will definitely happen and I could see it being accompanied by a reduction in the number of interchanges and/or interchange players.

The game has probably reached a stage where fewer interchange is required anyway. So that positive change (fewer interchange) would offset the negative change of installing quarter time breaks.

The next issue then is what to do with games running longer and running into the next timeslot of games (i.e. 5.30 saturday or 2pm sunday running into 7.30 saturday and 9's 4pm replay respectively).

If they ever break it into quarters I will no longer support rugby league. And I know tonnes of people that feel the same.

Packy

Bench
Haven't read the entire thread but I don't have some of the ideas in the article.

Making games 5 minutes longer with a few 15 sec stopages wouldn't be a bad thing imo. Reduce the interchange to 8 to compensate. If it adds up to bigger bucks I am all for it.

Billythekid

First Grade
So if we do increase the amount of ad breaks we can have then why shouldn't we get as much as the AFL? They make the comparison as though both codes only have regular season games.

Yeah we have less ad breaks but our season goes longer, we get ratings in NZ and we have friggin SOO.

If we solve there one complaint then we should get as much as the AFL.

El Diablo

Post Whore
pay has no ads and is paying the most for AFL

7 won't get as much for AFL ads next year seeing all games will be simulcast on Fox ad free.

if 9 got some games exclusive then that would counter Gynge'll ad bullshit

Edwahu

Bench
pay has no ads and is paying the most for AFL

7 won't get as much for AFL ads next year seeing all games will be simulcast on Fox ad free.

if 9 got some games exclusive then that would counter Gynge'll ad bullshit

For AFL Foxtel will take 7s feed and show all of the ads between quarters, which is about 75% of them. 7 get 100% of the revenue for these including for the regional markets that they don get now. So they will get pretty simmilar revenue overall i'd say.

El Diablo

Post Whore
For AFL Foxtel will take 7s feed and show all of the ads between quarters, which is about 75% of them. 7 get 100% of the revenue for these including for the regional markets that they don get now. So they will get pretty simmilar revenue overall i'd say.

nope

CEO said it will be ad free from siren to siren

Quidgybo

Bench
nope

CEO said it will be ad free from siren to siren
Siren to siren could easily be read as meaning between the siren at the start of a quarter and the siren at the end of the quarter. So they could show all the ads between quarters and still have siren to siren coverage.

Leigh

franklin2323

Immortal
Pre and post game go for longer and make half time 15 mins. Easy fix.

Hit the nail on the head. Start Friday night at 7 and not 730. There is bugger all pre-game on Sunday footy but it is full of ads. So they can hardly complain. I think he wants the going rate to be very low again. The bastard

applesauce

Bench
In regards to the schedule for the TV rights, why are the NRL so stupid?

Why can't we have the best of both worlds - let the networks choose games times, but have a fixed schedule to keep $$$?

Let the NRL choose the days for the games, the TV networks the times.

This will help out Saturdays and Sundays and to a lesser extent Fridays in some cases (but it is mostly Dragons/Broncos/Roosters/Canterbury that get Fridays anyway so it would write itself). Mondays rate their tits off no matter who is playing.

It allows for fans to make interstate/holiday plans well in advance, but gives the networks control over prime time content. Win Win.

Gippsy

Bench
I don't see the problem with additional ad breaks. They have, what, 40 seconds to take a drop out, which most teams use up anyway. Make dropouts an enforced 30 second break for ads and we lose nothing. Actually gain more playing time because it would become time out.

Same with taking the kick after a try. Another 30 second enforced break and we come back from the ad to see the kick being taken.

If there are not enough of these stoppages in the game the ref could enforce a 15 sec. break for a scrum or turnover at about the 15 min & 30 min mark of each half, or similar.

It'd be only a minor disruption to what we've already got and a small price to pay for a heap more in the TV rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.