What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
reduce substitutions and have a 2min drinks break at 20 and 60min mark. Also allows fans at the game to run to the loo or bar!

Perth Red

Post Whore
whatever changes should have to be ratified by the RLIF and adopted worldwide so that our game has consistent development everywhere and we don;t end up with an even greater difference in rules than we have now.

I would have no problem with 20 min quarters,but i would like to see interchanges reduced to Eight,& limited to two each quarter.

Raiderdave

First Grade
and we seem to always have quarters at the start of the season when it's a hot day or night

good point
there are some very stupid people who supposedly follow RL
this simpleton ( baron von tool) has no idea why he would be opposed to 1/4's
he just heard some other w@nker say it would be bad
no independant thought or anything

he can never follow league again if he wants
he won't be missed ;-)

docbrown

Coach
Keep in mind that this is the network chief doing his best to get what he wants.

Ways to increase ad revenue:
* Sunday Double Header plus panel coverage - keeps a 2 hour audience through 4.5 hours (+ boosts a 1 hour roast style lead in show) + has buffers for ads

* Starting Friday coverage at 7pm with 7:20/7:25 kickoffs - same reasons

* Marketing games to specific regions week in week out - e.g. 2 Qld games a week on F2A

* Simulcasting games on main & digital - on Fridays without score graphics to gain 30-40% increase in revenue - from a product that the network already owns!

* Increasing half time

* 15 second spots during scrums, lineouts etc - easy to fit

* 90 second spot after 20 minutes & 60 minutes break in play

* 60 second spot after tries before conversion - 2 x 30seconds - then dump the conversion onto a slight delay (kick & just before kick) - then jump straight to the kickoff - i.e. the conversion attempt is on a 30-60 second delay so it can be edited down and jump straight to the kickoff

We can generate $110-$130 million+ in advertising per year with these measures.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Siren to siren could easily be read as meaning between the siren at the start of a quarter and the siren at the end of the quarter. So they could show all the ads between quarters and still have siren to siren coverage.

Leigh

that's exactly what it means

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Dont know if anyone has brought this up, but say the NRl does adopt 4 quarters it will be interesting to see what happens in internationals and in SL for time keeping. I would only want it in the NRl if it is adopted across all RL comps.

Its almost like 9 are fighting an election campaign on the rights to NRL and origin. Fatty on sky sports big brekky didn't like any of the ideas re. origin and stand alone rep weekend. Gygnell coming out with his big speak today on adverts.

docbrown

Coach
IIRC Roy was saying it was something the NRL looked at setting up themselves if Fox didn't pay up

Optus are developing an internet based subscription TV rival for both hardware box, computer and mobiles and Fetch-TV is their partner.

My suspicion is this will be the leverage they use against fox.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Why not? With all the interchange the traditional idea of stamina has all but been removed from the game anyway. Forced timeouts and/or quarters will reward players like Hindmarsh and Gallen who can go 80 mins, whereas now they are punished with having to cope with fresh opponents all match.

You're f**ked in the head, Dino

BDGS

Bench
The nrl shouldn't need gyngell to tell us that . Is our leadership really that dumb?

Maybe you just can't read, the article I rea on the issue states that Manu of the issues he talked about the NRL is already in deep discussions about at a board level.

BDGS

Bench
The best match of the week should be on Friday nights.

Fixed schedules will result in some of the best matches being played at the worst times. As far back as the 1960's the match of the round would be on Saturday at the SCG. What we have now is match of the round on Fridays on Ch9.

From a footy perspective Sunday afternoon would be better than a night game - but those days are gone.

Please direct me to one post where you have stated something positive about 'our' game.

BDGS

Bench
That's effectively what we have now with the water breaks in early season matches. But the referee has the descretion to decide exactly when to take the break with sympathy for the state of the game. I'd have no problem if at the first convenient break after 19 and 59 minutes, the referee calls time off, two minute break, and then get on from where the match left off.

Leigh

Turning a game into a quarters game isn't worth it, takes too much away from our game and turns it knot someone else's game.

BDGS

Bench
Keep in mind that this is the network chief doing his best to get what he wants.

Ways to increase ad revenue:
* Sunday Double Header plus panel coverage - keeps a 2 hour audience through 4.5 hours (+ boosts a 1 hour roast style lead in show) + has buffers for ads

* Starting Friday coverage at 7pm with 7:20/7:25 kickoffs - same reasons

* Marketing games to specific regions week in week out - e.g. 2 Qld games a week on F2A

* Simulcasting games on main & digital - on Fridays without score graphics to gain 30-40% increase in revenue - from a product that the network already owns!

* Increasing half time

* 15 second spots during scrums, lineouts etc - easy to fit

* 90 second spot after 20 minutes & 60 minutes break in play

* 60 second spot after tries before conversion - 2 x 30seconds - then dump the conversion onto a slight delay (kick & just before kick) - then jump straight to the kickoff - i.e. the conversion attempt is on a 30-60 second delay so it can be edited down and jump straight to the kickoff

We can generate $110-$130 million+ in advertising per year with these measures.

What's a line out?

Quidgybo

Bench
What's a line out?
It's the plug on your television that allows you to run the audio into your hifi so you can listen to Nine's ads at an even higher volume. It's a vital part of us getting maximum dollars in the next rights deal.

Leigh

BDGS

Bench
It's the plug on your television that allows you to run the audio into your hifi so you can listen to Nine's ads at an even higher volume. It's a vital part of us getting maximum dollars in the next rights deal.

Leigh

Cheers, I freaked a little thinking about unions line out.

Status
Not open for further replies.