What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRam

Coach
Three knob heads and a compromised ageing bear-pig, yeah I'll take notice of that...

NOT.

Sorry Phil Gould is generally on our side when it comes to bettering our sport, but when it comes down to nine and his associates within that organization, he has proven that he holds his punches and doesn't go in as hard. He would be of the opinion that around a billion is good enough this time around. And I am sure that is what is being drummed into him and everyone else at the network.

As for those other three corn knob clowns, really? Talk about the lowest possible denominator. Two inbreds and a dumb arse dribbling monkey(Vossy) that constantly sh*ts on his own food by promoting the opposition all the time and thinking that it is the absolute height of funniness and that he is so smart and progressive by doing so.

Give me a break. We need to treat this like a war and take no freakin prisoners. Not be swayed or put off by malcontents, spies and sycophants. I know one thing for certain. The AFL was brutal in their negotiations, as it was stated by one of the TV execs, every day was a war, every day was a real battle, it was not enjoyable going to work and facing them, not one little bit. And guess what? It worked for them. In the end they got everything that they wanted and as we all know, it was way more than they deserved.

That is what we need to do, except that we DO deserve every cent of a $B1.5 deal. Anything less and we lost the war. If we don't achieve a record figure for Australian sport, then I would consider that our generals(IC) were found wanting, weak and even cowardly. One could then argue that when they looked into the eye of the great TV monster they flinched and dropped the ball that they were put in place to protect, and allowed the opposition team to kick the goal that wins the game. Our great game is played by warriors on the field, we now need those same sorts of warriors to play it off the field and deliver us a grand final winning pay day.

Time will tell.

Brutus

Referee
Just watching the Sunday Roast. That panel just poored a massive amount of cold water over the rights being worth $1.4mil. What do you think - honest opinion or instructed by Gyngal.

TK laughed about the 1.4 billion on his radio show.

It's great when RL has got 'fans' like this.

I thought the talking down of the TV deal was appalling on the Roast, but to be expected on Nein.

Not one mention of the great ratings RL gets.

Brutus

Referee
I think it was mostly TK carrying on about the $1.4 billion being in 'tell him he's dreaming' category. But I could tell that everyone who talked about that topic (I think Gus said nothing or very little) hadn't armed themselves with even half the information that the posters in here have, so I didn't get too worked up about what they said.

You're right, Gus said nothing. "I choose not to comment"

It was all Voss and TK.

Raiderdave

First Grade
If it was only TK then i think we can pretty much just ignore the comments. That idiot wouldn't know what the hell he was on about.

oh it was Voss too
very negative about our next deal ........ but because he works for Ch 9 its not a surprise

merkins at TV channels are hardly going to say .. yeah we're gunna give you anything you want

these TV rights negotiations will be a backstreet bareknuckle scrap
no quarter will be given by broadcasters .... they should expect none in return

bobmar28

Bench
Because it is another example in the lack of faith and strength in the game that we are prepared to alter some fundamentals of the game to bend over for TV again so we can get more money instead of stating the case that our game is the biggest most watched sport in teh country and worthy of a billion$+ rights as it is.

The TV rights are only worth what a network is willing to bid. If networks say they are willing to offer more if we make some changes I am ok with that.

bobmar28

Bench
TK laughed about the 1.4 billion on his radio show.

It's great when RL has got 'fans' like this.

I thought the talking down of the TV deal was appalling on the Roast, but to be expected on Nein.

Not one mention of the great ratings RL gets.

TK is a fan? He sounds more like a union knob.

Noa

First Grade
Just sucking up to the boss Id say. Both probably have there eyes on jobs, Voss taking Rabs spot and that other fwit taking Voss 2nd banana role, and will try to ingratiaite themselves in anyway possible

Brutus

Referee
Just sucking up to the boss Id say. Both probably have there eyes on jobs, Voss taking Rabs spot and that other fwit taking Voss 2nd banana role, and will try to ingratiaite themselves in anyway possible

TK sucks up Nein's arse big time on his radio show.

He's definitely looking for a bigger role at the joint.

In contrast, Peter Peters really gave Nein both barrells on his show (on the same radio station as TKs). He virtually yelled that Channel 9 has dudded RL for too long and it's time for pay back because Nein would be 2nd rate channel without the RL. Jimmy Smith backed him up all the way is well. It was a great listen.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
I lost respect for Peter Peters after his whinge about absolutely nothing with the ground announcer at Penrith yesterday, having said that I'd love to have heard him give it to channel 9.

It really has become a case of them (9) not knowing how good they've got it until someone finally takes it away. Then they'll very quickly turn into the jealous ex-girlfriend who rings you up at 2am desperate for another chance and willing to do all the things she never used to do.

gUt

Coach
the jealous ex-girlfriend who rings you up at 2am desperate for another chance and willing to do all the things she never used to do.

Such as? I may need some pics to clarify.

"Baby I will show you at a reasonable hour into Melbourne, I SWEAR! I can do a better mid-week rugby-league themed variety show, JUST GIVE ME ONE MORE CHANCE! I'LL KILL THAT BITCH!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://satellite.tmcnet.com/news/2011/07/24/5657410.htm

Clubs hold firm on non-compete clause

Jul 24, 2011 (The Australian Financial Review - ABIX via COMTEX) -- A new five-year agreement on the TV broadcasting rights to National Rugby League (NRL) matches could be worth twice as much as the existing one, or $A1bn. However, a prerequisite for the negotiations is the creation of a new independent commission and therefore the sale of the 50% stake currently held in the NRL by media group News Limited to the Australian Rugby League. This is being hampered by a number of NRL teams insisting that News sign a non-compete clause barring it from establishing any rival championship for two decades. News is only prepared to guarantee this for five years. A 20-year ban may in fact breach competition law.

Quidgybo

Bench
Surely the basis of any non compete agreement is News Ltd's ownership of two existing franchises more so than a specific duration. Rather than holding out for 20 years I think we'd be better framing it as News can't create a rival competition until they have divested themselves of all interests in existing franchises for a minimum of two years. If after two years they want to try and create a rival league without the leg up of being able order two of our most strategic franchises automatically to their new comp then good luck to them.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
Better to twist their arm while it can be twisted. For whatever reason, News Ltd want this new commission set up. So it is now or never as far as getting them to agree to clauses - whatever the clauses relate to.

IllawarraGiant

Juniors
Three knob heads and a compromised ageing bear-pig, yeah I'll take notice of that...

NOT.

Sorry Phil Gould is generally on our side when it comes to bettering our sport, but when it comes down to nine and his associates within that organization, he has proven that he holds his punches and doesn't go in as hard. He would be of the opinion that around a billion is good enough this time around. And I am sure that is what is being drummed into him and everyone else at the network.

As for those other three corn knob clowns, really? Talk about the lowest possible denominator. Two inbreds and a dumb arse dribbling monkey(Vossy) that constantly sh*ts on his own food by promoting the opposition all the time and thinking that it is the absolute height of funniness and that he is so smart and progressive by doing so.

Give me a break. We need to treat this like a war and take no freakin prisoners. Not be swayed or put off by malcontents, spies and sycophants. I know one thing for certain. The AFL was brutal in their negotiations, as it was stated by one of the TV execs, every day was a war, every day was a real battle, it was not enjoyable going to work and facing them, not one little bit. And guess what? It worked for them. In the end they got everything that they wanted and as we all know, it was way more than they deserved.

That is what we need to do, except that we DO deserve every cent of a $B1.5 deal. Anything less and we lost the war. If we don't achieve a record figure for Australian sport, then I would consider that our generals(IC) were found wanting, weak and even cowardly. One could then argue that when they looked into the eye of the great TV monster they flinched and dropped the ball that they were put in place to protect, and allowed the opposition team to kick the goal that wins the game. Our great game is played by warriors on the field, we now need those same sorts of warriors to play it off the field and deliver us a grand final winning pay day.

Time will tell.

OTT, but love the spirit of this!

Brutus

Referee
Can someone please tell Fox Sports to scrap that Home Hardware (The proper hardware store) commercial played at half-time of the rugby league?

They use friggin AFL terms.

Either f**k the ad off or re-do one with RL terms.

Thank you.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Sick of replays during coverage when its in the middle or end of a set. Perfect example in tonights game, 5th tackle of good canberra set and fox cut away to show sowards stuff up at the Canberra 20m line. FFS show the game and put the replay in a box in the corner like every other sports broadcaster in the world does. Hardly difficult.

Clearly 9 are sh***ng themselves and have already started posturing, if they lost origin or FNF it would be a massive blow to their sports coverage.

Out of interest shouldn't Pearce have left Fox sports by now??

BDGS

Bench
Can someone please tell Fox Sports to scrap that Home Hardware (The proper hardware store) commercial played at half-time of the rugby league?

They use friggin AFL terms.

Either f**k the ad off or re-do one with RL terms.

Thank you.

It talks about "assits" and "goals", I thought it was referring to union, I know nothing of AFL terminology.

But I don't like got chances, seeming as though during rugby league games they are advertising AFL shows like "before the bounce" and crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts