What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd love the NRL to do some market research on this.
1. Potential viewership in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide
2. Number of Fox subscribers who would cancel their subscriptions if Fox lost NRL rights

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I'd love the NRL to do some market research on this.
1. Potential viewership in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide
2. Number of Fox subscribers who would cancel their subscriptions if Fox lost NRL rights

I would say that media report they had done last year had that in it.

oldmancraigy

Coach
we will NEVER grow the game without decent TV coverage into non heartland states. The NRL needs to grow some on this issue and make it a non negotiable in any new deal. With digital channels there is no excuse.

re the Fox monopoly I have to say that as a subscriber I am happy with the service. Reasonable price, lots of things to watch and the only option to see every game at a decent time for us non NSW/Q'land fans. I hope that Fox get every game live, and of course pay through the nose for it!

As much as I agree with you (and most of your sentiments on this topic) I think we need to take the 'time and place' approach to this next deal.

The key thing is to get the biggest deal possible to put the highest $ value into the game.

Forcing networks to show live game in marginal markets will give them the opportunity to say "nah, we're not paying top dollar"

Step 1: get more money than the AFL to demonstrate that the NRL IS in fact the premiere TV rating sport.
Step 2: now that TV rights are maxxed, get clubs to attract the top sponsorship dollar they are entitled to
Step 3: NEXT deal put it out there to whomever is bidding that we want live coverage Australia-wide.

Brutus

Referee
I believe all Storm games should shown into Melb with the digital channels now in operation. Even if they can't do this then replay a game when people can watch it. Say 12pm the next day or something.

If the AFL can get this put into their contracts for the Swans, GWS, Suns and Lions then surely we can do it for the Storm.

I'm sick if this attitude of the AFL being able to do things, but we can't.

TheRam

Coach
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-tv-hopes-unreal/story-e6frfgbo-1226121529187

Melbourne Storm live TV hopes unreal

Russell Gould
August 25, 2011 12:00AM

THE next NRL TV rights deal won't fully solve the problem of horrible home-town coverage for Melbourne Storm, with regular live free-to-air telecasts considered highly unrealistic.

There's an increasing frustration among Storm fans, the club and even the NRL that the competition's benchmark team has been relegated to the graveyard shift on consecutive Friday nights, despite both being blockbuster games, includingFriday night's clash with second-placed Manly.

The club has directed angry fans to start an online campaign against Channel 9, its angst increased with revelations last week's win over St George Illawarra was the second highest rating regular season NRL game in history, attracting 1.44 million viewers.

Despite that appetite for Storm games, both the NRL and leading media buyer Harold Mitchell said live or even near-live coverage of all games on free-to-air in Melbourne could not be argued for inclusion in the next TV rights deal, which starts in 2013.

Mitchell said all parties had to be realistic about what they were willing to accept and permanent live coverage of Storm games in Melbourne was not.

Instead, he said the NRL needed to urge whichever free-to-air network got the rights to explore the flexibility in its digital channels and also to temper the expectations of clubs, like Storm, which wanted their needs met.

"They have to work on that flexibility rather than try for the impossible, which just won't be done. If you try and make too many demands of the network, you won't get anywhere," Mitchell said.

"The high watermark is the AFL, and they achieved their result with a great sense of co-operation with their media partner."

The NRL wants better coverage in Melbourne but won't push for a fixed scheduling policy for Storm games knowing that could reduce its bargaining power.

And the league doesn't want to force games into the Melbourne market fearing the "Iron Chef factor", which saw AFL games shown live in Sydney smashed in the ratings by the SBS cooking show, creating negative press for the code's growth there.

NRL spokesman John Brady said the league would make better scheduling in Melbourne a priority.

"There's no doubt everyone in the game would like to see an improvement in the situation in Melbourne.

"At this stage it's hard to quantify what that would be, and that becomes part of the negotiation.

"Everyone has to be realistic with the outcome," Brady said.

What a load of garbage that whole article is. Co-operation my arse. The network execs stated publicly that it was like going to war every day while they were in negotiations with the AFL. As for that Brady kent, he is as weak and useless as Gallop.

We have the number one product on television, we can demand whatever we want and if we have the right people doing the negotiations we should get what we want, including live broadcasts in all states and the number 1 money deal the country has ever seen too.

What the fu*k???

Stop trying to low ball us arseholes. Talk about being fu*ked over from within. The IC guys had better not come out and say similar sh*t or we are truly fu*ked and if they do, it would prove that the board has been well and truly stacked.

Noa

First Grade
Harold Mitchell has never had anything to say about league. Must really get under he's skin to know how big the next contract will be despite all his negative comments over the years.

BuffaloRules

Coach
That Harold Mitchell is one hell of a flea...

The article is contradictory like a lot of these articles often are...

On one hand you have this statement...

"The high watermark is the AFL, and they achieved their result with a great sense of co-operation with their media partner."

Then;

And the league doesn't want to force games into the Melbourne market fearing the "Iron Chef factor", which saw AFL games shown live in Sydney smashed in the ratings by the SBS cooking show, creating negative press for the code's growth there

gUt

Coach
The NRL negotiation team should be looking into serious alternatives to Fox now. Find some internet company that fans can subscribe to and watch the games online via that. Set up an in-house production team and do the same thing. It might not bring in the same dollars but it will make Fox etc realise they're fugged without league. Walk away for a couple of seasons and watch the TV stations come running with their cheque books.

Tommax25

Bench
I believe all Storm games should shown into Melb with the digital channels now in operation. Even if they can't do this then replay a game when people can watch it. Say 12pm the next day or something.

If the AFL can get this put into their contracts for the Swans, GWS, Suns and Lions then surely we can do it for the Storm.

I'm sick if this attitude of the AFL being able to do things, but we can't.

That’s the thing that Ryles me, if it ends up same old same old with the Storm. The exact same situation occurs for the AFL in Sydney and QLD that occurs for the Storm in Melbourne i.e. the sport is marginal so ratings won’t be great. The difference is the networks will give the AFL games a chance to grow their ratings knowing they will be terrible will be bad but they won’t give the Storm that same chance. Absolutely unacceptable.

smithie

Juniors
The NRL negotiation team should be looking into serious alternatives to Fox now. Find some internet company that fans can subscribe to and watch the games online via that. Set up an in-house production team and do the same thing. It might not bring in the same dollars but it will make Fox etc realise they're fugged without league. Walk away for a couple of seasons and watch the TV stations come running with their cheque books.

Online is the future and is already happening with other sporting organisations around the world. It offers interactive features that traditional television cannot. Head over to www.mlb.tv to see for yourself.

Features:
HD Quality (where available) »
In-Game Highlights and Stats »
Full Game Archives »
Alternate Audio Options »
Fantasy Player Tracker »
Home and Away Broadcasts ** »
Live Game DVR Controls »
Multi-Game View (PIP, Split Screen, Quad) »

The "Alternate Audio Options" looks interesting particularly the "park" feature, no commentary just the stadiums natural sound.

US online streaming giant Netflix is now expanding outside of the US and is scheduled to launch in Australia in H1 2012. Unlimited movies and TV shows for $8 a month. Foxtel's days are numbered.

Last edited:

juro

Bench
I wouldn't get fox because I don't think I would get my money's worth from it. I don't have time to watch lots of television. I'd love to see as many games as possible but don't think this justifies the cost. You are buying dozens of channels you will never look at.

But if there was a cheaper package which just had the footy, either through Fox or something online, I would seriously consider it.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I would pay serious money for something like NBA League Pass for NRL, which is around $140 for a full season.

Of course with the technological luddites we have running television here I can't see any FTA provider or Foxtel agreeing to such a service.

Billythekid

First Grade
That’s the thing that Ryles me, if it ends up same old same old with the Storm. The exact same situation occurs for the AFL in Sydney and QLD that occurs for the Storm in Melbourne i.e. the sport is marginal so ratings won’t be great. The difference is the networks will give the AFL games a chance to grow their ratings knowing they will be terrible will be bad but they won’t give the Storm that same chance. Absolutely unacceptable.

Except we know it's not the same situation. The last time they showed the storm it was in a Sunday slot against a low drawing team and up against the AFL. That game managed to get like 86K and nearly beat every one of the swans games this year.

That's why channel 9 won't show the game because they know it will rate and it will massively impact the next tv deal.

juro

Bench
Well if Nine know this, surely every other channel would also know too. Which makes it a bit of a moot point!

meltiger

First Grade
Whilst El-D is correct in that H Mitchells comments should be taken with a grain of salt. It's deeper than him being a "union idiot".... He OWNS the Melbourne Rebels, so he very much has a very unique interest in the decent, or lack thereof, coverage that the Storm receive.

Put simply, the IC needs to take a stand, every Melbourne away game (& Perth if admitted) must be shown at worst into Melbourne on a 1 hour delay. If not, f**k off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts