What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddo

Bench
Yeah I see it the same way Raiderdave.

I'd expect 9's first bid to be as low as possible while still making the extra 20% hard for 7/10 to achieve. But 7 has the money and all indications are they are keen to bid big, and if they have a joint bid with 10 and Foxtel it should be easy to break 9.

9 may challenge the NRL unbundling the game, but if they don't bid big they lose first and last rights, the game will be unbundled, and shared broadcasts with Foxtel will go ahead (even Origin will, I suspect, be on both free and pay TV).

rednblack

Juniors
yes this is the other big factor amongst a few that make 9's money woes a good thing

1) a poor bid from 9 will see their first & last rights clause broken & the NRL won't ever include one for an FTA provider ever again.

2) 9 have indicated they will challenge the NRL in court to try n stop it from unbundling the game ...this won't happen if they lose the rights which will happen if they don't pay up

3) 9 have indicated they won't share their telecasts with Foxtel , 7/10 won't have any issues doing this , bringing an AFL type pay deal into play with foxtel able to broadcast all 8/9 NRL games live & there for willing to pay substantially more for this.

9 are vunerable , & Ch 7 in cohorts with 10, will do everything in their power to see them off right there n then when they bid for RL , it will be a critical blow to 9 to lose RL.

9 know its going to be on , & will try n find the dosh somewhere & a lot of it to try n hold 7/10 off
& survive for the next 5 year.

nah, its not all bad that nein is struggling..... not bad at all.

I mostly agree with this sentiment.

My only concern (or main one, anyway) is regarding any bad blood between seven and ten. Ten had been buying a game of AFL from seven. Since they decided to drop that game, seven has been left with the bill (that is, seven won the rights, and on-sold them to ten in order to alleviate the cost outlay).
I just hope that seven and ten CAN agree to another partnership, because last time they tried, ten effectively shafted seven. If there are internal fears of the same thing happening, then a partnership bid for rights between seven and ten may be off the cards.

Having said that though, I hope they can come together and shaft nine. They don't deserve the rights after the way they've treated to code in recent years.

NRLMad

Juniors
I agree with most that has been said - but why would 10 decide go into bed with 7 again? They got dudded last time on the AFL. Why wouldn't they go alone or go up with a 10/Foxtel bid?

Goddo

Bench
I mostly agree with this sentiment.

My only concern (or main one, anyway) is regarding any bad blood between seven and ten. Ten had been buying a game of AFL from seven. Since they decided to drop that game, seven has been left with the bill (that is, seven won the rights, and on-sold them to ten in order to alleviate the cost outlay).
It would be a commercial agrement. Its amazing how fast organisations get on with things when they can make money.

I agree with most that has been said - but why would 10 decide go into bed with 7 again? They got dudded last time on the AFL. Why wouldn't they go alone or go up with a 10/Foxtel bid?

10 doesn't have the cash to bid for all of the NRL. They do however have an interest in both AFL and NRL - I wouldn't be surprised that as part of an NRL bid agreement between 7/10 that 7 barters the rights to an AFL game.

The other alternative scenario is that say 7 or a joint 7/10 bid breaks the first and last rights, then the game is unbundled, whats to stop 9 then forming a joint bid with 7 or 10?

It all gets very interesting (and good for us) if 9 loses first and last rights.

Last edited:

rednblack

Juniors
It would be a commercial agrement. Its amazing how fast organisations get on with things when they can make money.

Seven are left out of pocket though, after ten decided not to continue buying the AFL rights from them. I would think that seven would have this in the back of their mind if a similar joint bid for NRL rights were to ever happen. They'd be nervous about the same thing happening again.

And if seven wanted to go it alone, they'd end up with all the FTA AFL rights, as well as the FTA NRL rights. This could end up being an over-capitalization for them, especially if they can't on-sell some of it for a decent price. That's not how they'll make money, so I can't see it happening. Not to mention, they may end up having too many games to show each week, which could mean pissing people off by delaying or not showing games into certain markets (which is a major gripe with nine currently).

I do think a seven/ten joint venture, with all games live on foxsports, would be good for the code. My question is, though, is this a realistic outcome to expect, based on the same joint venture in the AFL.

El Diablo

Post Whore
9 had the AFL and NRL rights a few years ago and that was before multichannels

7 actually paid less for the FTA AFL TV rights this time than they did last time too

rednblack

Juniors

7 actually paid less for the FTA AFL TV rights this time than they did last time too

Fair point, didn't really think of that.

However they would've been paying a fraction of what we'd expect seven to pay (do you know how much nine paid for both sets of rights back then El D?). Seven have already paid a huge amount to the AFL (which has become somewhat a burden without being able to on-sell to ten). If our hopes of a $1bn+ deal are to eventuate, then they'll be paying through the nose for the NRL as well. I'm not sure I see that happening. The only hope, as I see it, is an amicable deal between seven and ten. While this would be great for us, and not out of the question by any means, it may not happen if seven and ten aren't playing nice after the AFL rights deal between the two fell over.

All very interesting though. Fingers crossed, eh?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ten didn't want AFL as they thought it was overpriced

they'd probably get the shit games again too that always get smashed in the ratings

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.adnews.com.au/campaign/talking-regional

Talking Regional
Advertiser: Regional TV Marketing
Creative Agency: In-house
Added: 11 November 2011

reative Credits :
Production Company: Platinum HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hjc1HRam5Aw

Regional TV Marketing has launched a campaign spruiking the effectiveness of regional free-to-air as an advertising medium.

Created in-house by RTM, the "Talking Regional" video features marketers from Unilever, Coca-Cola, Optus and Suncorp giving insights into how regional TV delivers effectiveness and engagement.

RTM is also running a "Regional Mystery Tour" promotion to give 15 media buyers the chance to see a slice of regional Australia.

El Diablo

Post Whore
interesting they use Rugby League in their youtube video

not surprising though given how high it rates in regional Australia

funny that AFL dicks say regional doesn't matter. tell that to the big companies bosses in the ad

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see best $ outcome would be

Ch10 getting the best slots and SOO paying the most
Ch7 getting Sunday afternoon games and Tests
Foxsports getting every game live

Some provisos we should demand

RL gets its own channel on Foxsports
FTA show games within 2 hours of ko nationally on a Friday & Monday and live on a Sunday. Rep games live nationally
Gould and Warren not allowed to switch channels!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

Ok, ch9 is obviously ch9 and it's shown into the capitals only.

So what's stopping a massive station like Win/NBN whatever buying the rights, there's an ad on Win TV now stating they are beamed into 9 million+ homes Australia wide making it the biggest TV network in the country.

Could a station like that bid for NRL and work something out with 9 or one of the other stations?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ok, ch9 is obviously ch9 and it's shown into the capitals only.

So what's stopping a massive station like Win/NBN whatever buying the rights, there's an ad on Win TV now stating they are beamed into 9 million+ homes Australia wide making it the biggest TV network in the country.

Could a station like that bid for NRL and work something out with 9 or one of the other stations?

Channel 9 own NBN

they chose to buy that instead of 9 Adelaide and Perth when Eddie was CEO

El Diablo

Post Whore
Shows where the real money is then I suspect.

Eddie said on radio it was largely based on the great ratings RL got

http://www.nineentertainment.com.au/About_Us.htm

About Us

Nine Entertainment Co. is Australia’s most diversified media and entertainment group. It is a communication powerhouse delivering a world of media information and entertainment to millions of Australians.

Our assets include the Nine Network Australia, NBN Television, Australian News Channel, ACP Magazines, a 50% interest in ninemsn, and entertainment entities, Ticketek and the Allphones Arena.

Our free-to-air television broadcaster, the Nine Network Australia, reaches over 11.4 million Australians every week and 82% of the total viewing audience. When it comes to news, sport, entertainment and major events, viewers tune in to the Nine Network in Australia.

NBN Television is Australia's highest rating television network
. It commenced broadcasting to the Newcastle and Hunter Valley region in 1962. NBN's market stretches from Central Coast in the south to the Gold Coast, Queensland in the north and west to Moree and Narrabri. This market has a population of 1.9 million people, and is the fourth largest television market in Australia, behind Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Dont nine own a share of Fox Sports, and Sky News as well... why doesnt it get a mention...

On another issue how much does WIN tv pay NRL for rights???

El Diablo

Post Whore
Dont nine own a share of Fox Sports, and Sky News as well... why doesnt it get a mention...

On another issue how much does WIN tv pay NRL for rights???

why didn't you click on the link?

Australian News Channel owns and operates Sky News in Australia and New Zealand. It is a leading, multi-platform 24-hour news supplier. Sky News is available in more than 2.5 million homes and locations across Australia and New Zealand on Pay TV. Sky News produces a variety of programmes, including Agenda and Sky Business Report.

Fox Sports is owned by Premier Media Group

PMG is jointly owned by Consolidated Media Holdings and News Limited.

Ray Mosters

Juniors

That's not quite correct. The FTA component of the AFL rights was less this time, but last time 7 split it with 10, whereas this time they are paying it all themselves.

Regardless, 7 have the money to pay for the whole rights

bobmar28

Bench
Whatever happens I hope Foxtel have to pay a fair price for league or it should go to FTA for a discount.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
That's not quite correct. The FTA component of the AFL rights was less this time, but last time 7 split it with 10, whereas this time they are paying it all themselves.

Regardless, 7 have the money to pay for the whole rights

Do you are saying that 7 has enough money to pay out another 450-500 million or Rugby League fta rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts