What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
The NRL and A-League have the largest % for the youth demo out of the 4 codes.

Obviously because the NRL overall audience is larger than the A-League's this equates to having the largest under 39's audience out of the 4.

Are audiences are actually going against the grain of the aging population shift unlike AFL's and Union's.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The NRL and A-League have the largest % for the youth demo out of the 4 codes.

Obviously because the NRL overall audience is larger than the A-League's this equates to having the largest under 39's audience out of the 4.

Are audiences are actually going against the grain of the aging population shift unlike AFL's and Union's.

on FTA in 16-39 two of the three Origin games rated higher than the AFL GF http://www.throng.com.au/node/31132

docbrown

Coach
on FTA in 16-39 two of the three Origin games rated higher than the AFL GF http://www.throng.com.au/node/31132

You can see the difference when you compare the three results: Total, 18-49 to the 25-54 between Origin III and the AFL Grand Final. In Total the AFL is first but then compare the two youth demos:

In both cases Origin III wins but the skew is closer to the AFL's advantage when you delete the 18-24 year old bracket and add more 50-54 year olds. Also the below 18 demo is even stacked in the NRL's favour - the results obviously aren't in your link. The younger you select the demo, the bigger the % win to the NRL. Post a below 39's and you'll see what I mean.

Basically the AFL audience is getting older - and well - slowly dying...

CC_Roosters

First Grade
You can see the difference when you compare the three results: Total, 18-49 to the 25-54 between Origin III and the AFL Grand Final. In Total the AFL is first but then compare the two youth demos:

In both cases Origin III wins but the skew is closer to the AFL's advantage when you delete the 18-24 year old bracket and add more 50-54 year olds. Also the below 18 demo is even stacked in the NRL's favour - the results obviously aren't in your link. The younger you select the demo, the bigger the % win to the NRL. Post a below 39's and you'll see what I mean.

Baffles me how they go about putting a number on each demographic group that watches tv?!

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Could they hurry up???:)

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Speaking of demographics, but it's funny while driving around Brisbane, I notice A LOT of 4WD's with Lions AFL stickers and driven by elderly expat Victorians. (i assume)

TheRam

Coach
still no answer

Ram you there?

Sorry El Diablo I hadn't checked into this thread again till now.

But my comments were merely speculation since we(ARL) nearly pulled it off when chennel TEN went bust last time. So if the arses running the AFL are half as bright as we all keep hearing that they are, they would surely be looking to take full advantage of any situtation that turns up. After all they are totally cashed up and want to take over the whole freakin world don't they. Bunch of dickhead vampires!!!

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/new...1171405445292.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Maybe things could have been different if Quayle had pulled off his plan with John Singleton and Gerry Harvey to buy Channel Ten when it went bankrupt during the Tina Turner era.
Singo offered the ARL 10 per cent of the network, on the understanding Ten would keep the TV rights to the club competition in perpetuity and the ARL would be paid the same fee, adjusted annually. Nine would retain State of Origin and Seven the internationals. But first, Singo had to convince Ten's creditors, Westpac, to sell Gerry and himself the network.
"Gerry turned up to the first meeting with Westpac an hour late because he forgot to adjust his watch to daylight saving time," Singo recalled. "Then he left the second meeting early because it was a Friday night and he always has a baked dinner on Friday nights. I don't think Westpac thought we were serious. They sold Ten to the Canadians."
Rugby league also missed out. Westpac then sold all the rugby league rights to Kerry Packer for less than what Quayle-Singleton negotiated for the club games alone. Packer got Origin for nothing and the ARL took a big cut in its rights income.
Quayle now travels the world advising cities how to run major sporting events after his successful role at Sydney 2000. The former Roosters player can't bear to open the financial pages to see what 10 per cent of Ten would now be worth, along with the opportunity to compete with AFL on a network it part-owned.
Former teammate John Peard recalled a word-association drinking game they were playing at Bondi Junction when Bob Hawke, then yet to become prime minister, joined in and challenged Quayle. Hawke said "tennis"; Quayle said "court"; Hawke said "jurisprudence" and Quayle said, "I think I'll have a drink."
It's what we all felt like this week when learning rugby league had been undersold yet again.

Goddo

Bench
Speaking of demographics, but it's funny while driving around Brisbane, I notice A LOT of 4WD's with Lions AFL stickers and driven by elderly expat Victorians. (i assume)

Grey Victorian nomads, settling in Queensland.

The test is if you throw a ball at one. If he fumbles it and screams bawwl you have a tard on your hands.

some11

Referee
Grey Victorian nomads, settling in Queensland.

The test is if you throw a ball at one. If he fumbles it and screams bawwl you have a tard on your hands.

You'll find them at the Springwood Lions Den or the upstairs bar of The Beat.

Smiley

Bench
http://www.qrl.com.au/default.aspx?...45459&title=conference-highlights-codes-power

Conference Highlights Code's Power

THE first Annual Conference involving the soon to be appointed ARL Commissioners along with the NRL Chairmen and Chief Executives, as well as representatives of the ARL, NSWRL, QRL, CRL, ARL Development and NZRL has been given compelling evidence of Rugby League’s power as at Television sport.

Figures released to the meeting today showed that a cumulative audience of 134million viewers tuned in to Australian free to air and subscription television to watch, NRL, Toyota Cup, State of Origin, City Country, Australia v New Zealand Tests and the Four Nations in 2011. The figure is 12 million more than any other Australian sport and does not take into account a further 12 million Rugby League viewers in New Zealand.

The detailed analysis of 2011 television results confirmed Rugby League as Australia’s number one television sport.

Other key points included:

• the highest average ratings of any football code on free to air and subscription television in 2011
• four of the top five sporting programs of the year on free to air television (including Origin Three as the highest rating free to air sports program)
• sixty-four of the top one hundred programs on subscription television
• the highest rating Origin series in history
• 1.3% growth in free to air audiences
• 16% growth in subscription television

“They are a powerful set of results across the coverage of the game,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“As we look towards media negotiations in the months ahead they are a reminder of Rugby League’s value in the market.”
Today’s meeting involved considerable discussion in relation to rights negotiations, reiterating that they would commence after the formation of the ARL Commission and that the game with the support of the clubs would strongly pursue the concept of a ‘full-season’ schedule with days and time-slots determined at the start of the year.

The 2011 Annual Conference was the last under the auspices of the NRL Partnership and the Chairman elect of the ARL Commission, Mr John Grant, and his fellow commissioners were in attendance.

Mr Grant made it clear that the Commission was indeed weeks away from formally assuming control but stressed there were a number of legal processes and due diligence obligations to be completed.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day – but it was built,” Mr Grant said in his address.
Mr Grant went on to assure the conference that the Commissioners would be focused on a ‘whole of game’ approach.

“There will be a strong focus on getting a whole of game strategic plan in place,” he said.

“It is important that as we look towards a significant growth in revenue that there is a strategy that underpins the way that money is used.

“The Commission is a unique opportunity to review existing plans without the constraints of the game’s previous structure.”
The meeting today looked closely at marketing and new media strategies as well as a close analysis of Rugby League’s development figures.

“We saw 35,000 new participants enter the game in 2011 - more than ever before,” Director of League integration, Andrew Hill, said today.

“There are over 480,000 club and school players taking part in actual competitions, not just short term clinics, and it is important people acknowledge just where our strengths are.

“There are over a million more who take part in clinics, back-yard league activities or some other organised Rugby League experience.

“There is no doubt that we can do a lot of things better but in the review that we have been conducting into Rugby League’s development pathways it is clear also that there are a lot of positives to build on.”

El Diablo

Post Whore
• 16% growth in subscription television

yet the merkin Williams keeps saying there is no more growth potential for RL every year

i wish that prick would just f**k off and die

hineyrulz

Post Whore
yet the merkin Williams keeps saying there is no more growth potential for RL every year

i wish that prick would just f**k off and die
images

He just looks like a fat Victorian Merkin.

docbrown

Coach
If you can cast your minds back to earlier in the year when there was discussion about game stoppages for ads it may interest you to know that the numbers LEK are now projecting for that revenue increase are in the magnitude of $40-$50 million a season - about $200-$250 million over the course of a 5 year contract.

From what I understand the intent is that this will not be on the table up front. It will be thrown in after the opening round in order to break the F2A F&L rights. But it helps to clarify why they believe $1,000,000,000 is the base line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts