What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommax25

Bench
Nine will do everything they possibly can to be able to walk into the TV rights negotiations and say (disingenuously) that NRL doesn't rate outside of NSW and QLD. There's no way they're going to help us grow the game (and thus the price of the broadcast rights) unless they're contractually obligated to. I'm sure the next deal, whoever it is with, will mandate live games into Melbourne and possibly Adelaide and Perth. The last deal was a weak mess. This one won't be.

Don't ask me why, but I just have a gut feeling our next rights deal is gonna be a massive win for the game.

And even then tey don't always do it. Don't they have contractual obligation to show games into Melbourne at certain times but they never do and they only get away with it cause the NRL doesn't kick up a fuss? KICK UP A FUSS NEXT TIME!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Weak leadership, the only hope is the IC won;t let Gallop get away with it.

Has to be either live on digital channel or before 10pm Fridays and before 3pm Sundays if we are any hope to grow the game, cast iron contract and the balls to enforce it needed!

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
They are f**kin kidding nine.

Doing an afl challenge out at Blacktown in excess baggage, obviously trying to grab Victorian viewers to the shit show.

K fed faked a heart attack to get away from there

Dragonwest

Juniors
Nine's agenda to push AFL is obvious; and starts at the top. The NRL should be questioning 9 on why the are promiting rival codes within their programs. Was the same option looked at for training with an NRL club?? The commision must be strong when dealing with the networks to push the promotion of the game.

cleary89

Coach
I heard on the radio a "gws challenge". Also on the grill team they were saying all morning a prominent sports team will be at luna park. Turned it off.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Nine seems to be doing everything it can to devalue the NRL so they have a better negotiating platform. Not realising that if they promoted it properly it would be beneficial for all parties.

El Diablo

Post Whore
In Sydney?

Suity
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/fat-old-and-tired/story-e6frfgbo-1226249803396
NINE network boss Jeff Browne, who works directly underneath head honcho David Gyngell, is a lawyer from Melbourne.

He is the bloke who has been placed in charge of the revamp of the network's The Footy Show, the alleged jewel in the crown of the station's rugby league coverage.

It is a show which has been pummelled in the ratings in recent years, running against the overall trend of soaring ratings for the game across the nation.

Browne worked closely alongside Eddie McGuire at Collingwood before being handed the job of managing Nine's Melbourne operation.

He moved to Nine's Sydney bunker less than two years ago but he gave every impression this week that he knows how to make the truly terrible The Footy Show sing again.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10781768

Sky talks with NRL stall over broadcast rights
By Steve Deane
5:30 AM Saturday Jan 28, 2012

Manu Vatuvei's thundering thighs will be coming to a high definition television near you during next Saturday night's NRL All Star Game - but it's a case of wait and see when it comes to television coverage of the Warriors and the 2012 NRL season.

Sky Television's deal to broadcast the NRL expired at the end of last season and negotiations over a new contract have stalled as the NRL attempts to transfer the game's governance to a new independent commission.

An NRL spokesman described negotiations over New Zealand broadcasting rights as "ongoing'. Sky chief executive John Fellet, however, said Sky had tabled an offer two months ago only to be told by the NRL that nothing could be signed off until the independent commission - the body that will run the game following News Ltd's departure - was in place.

Reports in Australia suggest the commission could be in place as early as Tuesday next week. However, many such dates for the takeover have come and passed without event.

"Two months ago we sent them a proposal," Fellet said. "They thanked us and said 'look, we really can't deal with this until we get the new commission.' I don't know where they stand on that but I am sure the new commission will get formed pretty soon."

While that would open the door for talks to resume, the negotiations might be fraught. Maximising broadcast revenue to bring league into line with what networks pay for ARL games is a central plank of the new commission's formation. Sky, on the other hand, is understood to be seeking a reduction in the amount it pays due to falling ratings. "It would be true that they are trying to maximise [revenue] and it would be true that we are trying to get what we think is a fair value," Fellet said.

He declined to reveal specifics, however a recent report in the Sydney Morning Herald valued the NRL's previous deal with Sky NZ at A$14 million a season.

While Fellet described the battle for the rights as an "open contest", in reality Sky appears to be the only entity capable of meeting the NRL's asking price. Maori TV broadcast delayed coverage of Manly's games last season and provided coverage of Auckland's Fox Memorial competition. While the station viewed league as a desirable product it didn't have the financial clout to compete with Sky, chief executive Jim Mather said.

While some Sky insiders involved in producing the network's league coverage are privately nervous about the state of negotiations, the prospect of the network dropping the NRL is minimal. The NRL is a major subscriber driver for Sky and the broadcasting deal represents the company's second-largest contract.

While there is some suggestion the parties will look to agree a one-year deal to bring the contract into line with that of Australian networks Fox and Channel Nine, which expires at the end of 2012, Fellet said Sky's contract had always been out of sync with Australian networks and its preference was to secure a five-year deal.

"It's their call," Fellet said. "We always prefer five-year deals because in five-year deals there will be a great year, a bad year and three pretty normal years, so you spread your risk out a little bit better. But it's up to them."

Fellet indicated it was possible Sky would continue to broadcast NRL matches even if the parties had not reached an agreement when the season starts. "That's not uncommon but you'd rather get these things put to bed ahead of time."

flippikat

Bench
Sky will get the NRL - they get everything these days

No anti-syphoning legislation + Free-to-air networks pinching their pennies = a free hit for Pay TV.

And Sky are the only Pay TV bidder in NZ.

Sure TelstraClear have a tiny operation in Auckland Wellington & Christchurch, but they just carry Sky's basket of channels on their cable - they don't create anything substantial of their own.

Still, I didn't realise that the NZ TV deal was over right now - just adds pressure to get the commission rolling along so it can be rubber-stamped in time for the season start.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Hmm... I thought that Gallop had actually told them last year that they preferred a one year extension deal so they'd have enough time to put their future strategy into place and also bring it into sync with Australia.

This smells a bit. Looks like he's hoping to lock it in for 5 years on a lower price. If Warriors have a good season and ratings lift then they won't have that excuse. A one year extension is the best option.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's a shame we haven't been able to capatilise on the Warriors success last year.
We soooo badly need the IC ASAP
Would be interesting to ask them if they would pay $20mill a year if the NRL had a 2nd NZ team in it?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I keep reading about the warriors TV ratings being down, but wasn't this because Sky NZ had some new TV box or something that wasn't reading all the ratings?

There was something mentioned about it last year that all shows on Kiwi TV suffered.

So if that the case, it's a piss poor excuse from SKY.

shiznit

Coach
i actually wondered why there was no rugby league on the big advertisements for sky sport in 2012.

this i obviously why...

as i said in the other thread... i hope a FTA channel apart from Prime gets some sort of coverage...

i think the current way things are done is pathetic... Sky own Prime... and Prime hold the FTA rights... so sky purposely play the RL at ridiculous hours because they know it drives any true RL fans to SKY.

i wish a FTA channel would have the balls to pay for rights for even 1 Live game a week...

Status
Not open for further replies.