What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It seems the doom and gloom of the Optus/Fetch TV talks have turned around and FetchTV will soon expand to be a genuine competitor to Telstra T-Box.

http://www.itwire.com/virtualisation/47003-optus-wants-fetchtv-on-tablets-smartphones

They could see it offered through set top boxes, computers, pad devices and phones.

Will we see the likes of another Telstra/Optus battle for rugby league rights albeit in a different form?

interesting seeing there was this from them last year http://www.theage.com.au/business/fetch-tv-fights-for-afl-rights-20100318-qik2.html

docbrown

Coach

Well now they're expanding to droid pads and mobile carriers. They're pretty much building an alliance of ISP's to take on Telstra.

I have always advocated Fetch TV actively pursuing the NRL rights and now that they have a major phone provider engaged they can take on both Telstra & Foxtel (pretty much overlapping entities so it would hit them twice! ;-)).

Even if they don't win - as I've always said - at least they bring in genuine competitive tension and it's win-win for Fetch & NRL because
a) they either win the rights and cost Telstra/Foxtel subscriptions whilst building their own - or -
b) they force Telstra/Foxtel to pay overs which increase the rights deal and helps out their own cause by limiting Telstra's ability to bid for other premium products.

I think this is a great development. I can really see these guys taking on Telstra/Foxtel.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Well now they're expanding to droid pads and mobile carriers. They're pretty much building an alliance of ISP's to take on Telstra.

I have always advocated Fetch TV actively pursuing the NRL rights and now that they have a major phone provider engaged they can take on both Telstra & Foxtel (pretty much overlapping entities so it would hit them twice! ;-)).

Even if they don't win - as I've always said - at least they bring in genuine competitive tension and it's win-win for Fetch & NRL because
a) they either win the rights and cost Telstra/Foxtel subscriptions whilst building their own - or -
b) they force Telstra/Foxtel to pay overs which increase the rights deal and helps out their own cause by limiting Telstra's ability to bid for other premium products.

I think this is a great development. I can really see these guys taking on Telstra/Foxtel.

B, would be good to see some competition for RL rights

docbrown

Coach
Would absolutely love Fetch TV to get the NRL online rights.

Well it would effectively be both online/subscription.

I could see them doing what they've done for EPL but expand it in scope and have 17 channels - a main NRL/rugby league channel plus one dedicated to each individual NRL club.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The shun's v lions got 354,745 viewers on saturday night, the afls highest audeince on fox ever.

Anyone know what the broncos game got for comparison

applesauce

Bench
Yeah was built up, but not much of a reaction from the public, hence the crowd for the derby.

I have a sneaking suspicion the AFL COULD stay with the NRL's from now on. I think a fair few people in AFL states may have jumped onto the FOX bandwagon on the back fo the TV Deal and by signing a contract trying to avoid any price increases (despite talk there will be none).

We will see when next weekends ratings come out.

Yeah was built up, but not much of a reaction from the public, hence the crowd for the derby.

I have a sneaking suspicion the AFL COULD stay with the NRL's from now on. I think a fair few people in AFL states may have jumped onto the FOX bandwagon on the back fo the TV Deal and by signing a contract trying to avoid any price increases (despite talk there will be none).

We will see when next weekends ratings come out.

The reasons for the high ratings is that it was the only AFL game on Saturday night. It was on Fox Sports and there was no FTA coverage outside of BRIS.

Pretty much as close as AFL coverage gets to the super saturday and monday night football for the NRL, in terms of exclusivity to paytv.

applesauce

Bench
The reasons for the high ratings is that it was the only AFL game on Saturday night. It was on Fox Sports and there was no FTA coverage outside of BRIS.

Pretty much as close as AFL coverage gets to the super saturday and monday night football for the NRL, in terms of exclusivity to paytv.

Oh ok fair enough then. I was going to say if something like that must of happened but didn't know enough and didn't want to put my foot in it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see the Foxsports AFL channel adds have started, great just 9 more months of having this rammed down our throats on satellite TV!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/business/foxtel-risks-being-sent-to-the-sidelines-20110510-1eh74.html

Foxtel risks being sent to the sidelines
Roy Masters
May 11, 2011

Now that the AFL broadcasting rights have been decided, an intense battle looms between pay TV and the free-to-air networks for the rugby league rights that expire at the end of next season.

Channels Nine and Ten withdrew from the AFL auction to retain a war chest for the NRL rights, and the successful bidder, Seven, made it clear the network has money left for a code that could become an almost exclusive free-to-air asset.

There is resentment in rugby league circles at the position the Foxtel chief, Kim Williams, took with AFL rights, paying $650 million for five exclusive games a week.

The NRL receives $210 million from Fox Sports for the same number of live exclusive games, yet it dominates the top 100 pay TV programs. Admittedly, this $650 million versus $210 million comparison is the first year of the new AFL contract and the last year of the old NRL contract.

But rugby league bosses believe AFL was favoured on the last contract (2007-2011), receiving more than $10 million a year extra for lesser quality games.

Their wrath should be directed to Fox Sports whose owners, News Ltd and James Packer's CMH, acquired the NRL rights and then sold the programming to Foxtel, half owned by Telstra, for a tidy profit.

But Williams's stance towards the AFL boss, Andrew Demetriou, at the news conference announcing the AFL deal convinced some NRL executives that their code could expect more of the same from the News controlled entities.

The irony, they argue, is mind numbing. The costly Super League war was fought over pay TV rights.

When News finally gained control of the asset, it built the Fox Sports network on the foundation of rugby league. Some analysts project the combined profit of Foxtel and Fox Sports to be $600 million this year, yet much of that is going to AFL.

The last time Williams paid AFL more, he justified it in terms of the AFL's bigger crowds.

What? Don't families subscribe to pay TV rather than go to the game?

He also argued AFL has higher numbers on six capital city ratings, conveniently ignoring rugby league's huge following in NSW and Queensland regional areas.

But he also admitted the higher payment to AFL was designed to attract subscribers in the AFL states, whose uptake of Foxtel was lower than in NSW and Queensland.

But Foxtel risks losing more if its rugby league audience falls, particularly if the NRL sells its Super Saturday games to free-to-air TV.

These three games are shown consecutively from 5.30pm to 11.30pm, relatively cheap entertainment for big families and therefore attract loyal subscribers in Sydney's west and in regional areas.

If these games were sold to free-to-air, along with the Monday Night game, it would decimate Foxtel.

NRL Monday night, which set a subscription TV record last month when 408,000 watched an Eels versus Cowboys game, is a scheduling opportunity for free-to-air networks but Williams will be gambling they will not bid for Saturday nights.

Ten is controlled by Lachlan Murdoch and Packer, who have stakes in Fox Sports and Foxtel.

Seven has two games of AFL to show on Saturday afternoon and night, while Nine has rugby union obligations.

However, Seven may offload two of its four AFL games in exchange for some NRL, while the networks' digital channels offer programming alternatives.

Rugby league will also demand more from Foxtel's half owner, Telstra. Telstra pays the NRL $50 million over five years for online and mobile phone rights, including naming rights to the competition, the Telstra Premiership.

Naming rights to a competition are valued at $6 million a year. Toyota sponsors the AFL.

Telstra is paying AFL three times more than the NRL for online and mobile rights alone.

It has been hard for the NRL to achieve a just price when it has been ruled by News Ltd directors who sit on one side of a table making an offer and then run around the other side of the table to gleefully accept it.

Gippsy

Bench
It has been hard for the NRL to achieve a just price when it has been ruled by News Ltd directors who sit on one side of a table making an offer and then run around the other side of the table to gleefully accept it.

Herein lies the problem. IC??

Status
Not open for further replies.