What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Machine

First Grade
No one watches it but unlike RL in Melb, If I have the urge to bore myself with it I can watch it on Foxtel LIVE. Despite that it's still on before midnight
That’s all well and but, it’s the AFL who are demanding an extra $50m a year in revenue on their next TV deal because of an alleged growing TV audience, especially in NSW. I would never have an urge to watch aerial ping pong,

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s all well and but, it’s the AFL who are demanding an extra $50m a year in revenue on their next TV deal because of an alleged growing TV audience, especially in NSW. I would never have an urge to watch aerial ping pong,

and that's the point we have yet to learn, perception is everything!
AFl will talk up the two new teams as giving TV two extended audience opportunities. Fact no-one will watch seems of little relevance.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
and that's the point we have yet to learn, perception is everything!
AFl will talk up the two new teams as giving TV two extended audience opportunities. Fact no-one will watch seems of little relevance.

TV execs are well aware of this, trust me. The broadcasters in Vic, SA and WA might be interested because its a couple of extra games that will rate well over there, but the reps in NSW and Qld are well aware that it wont rate.

They wont get $1billion, but they will probably get near enough to it.

bobmar28

Bench
OneHD does a good job with the American Sports. I know they more or less just pump through the feed but it puts our supposed "HD" to shame.

The NFL and NBA look flat out incredible. Far superior.

Not to mention the Nascar.

griff

Bench
TV execs are well aware of this, trust me. The broadcasters in Vic, SA and WA might be interested because its a couple of extra games that will rate well over there, but the reps in NSW and Qld are well aware that it wont rate.

They wont get $1billion, but they will probably get near enough to it.

Vlad has been talking up the $1b for years and with an ego like his, there is no way he will take anything less. What will end up happening is a $1b 6 year deal, mark my words. Vlad will give them an extra year just so he can say he a got a billion dollars.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Vlad has been talking up the $1b for years and with an ego like his, there is no way he will take anything less. What will end up happening is a $1b 6 year deal, mark my words. Vlad will give them an extra year just so he can say he a got a billion dollars.

He wont accept anything else? Well whats he gonna do when no one is offering $1billion? a free extra year? Thats ludacris. He's just doing what he thinks is good promo.

Storm4Ever

Juniors
I don't care who ever gets the rights i just hope C9 never gets it ever again, i don't mind foxtel having has i can watch them matches but when ever Melbourne storm play ***** channel 9 screw us and don't show our matches live and is especially for all nrl matches down in Melbourne, who ever gets the right in the next few years should be showing all the games at prime time not 11pm, i really hope seven, 10 and foxtel put massive amount of money secure a deal to show nrl matches at the right time

Brutus

Referee
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...cloud-looms-over-tv-rights-20100428-trz8.html

Storm cloud looms over TV rights

RICHARD HINDS

April 29, 2010 - 7:46AM

IT IS an indication of the growing intensity of the pre-rights tango being performed by the major Australian football codes as they attempt to gain maximum revenue from their next television deal that the ramifications of the Melbourne Storm’s public disgrace were almost immediately added to the current calculations.

Would the stigma now attached to rugby league in Melbourne, and the still real possibility the NRL would pull out of Victoria altogether, diminish the value of a new NRL deal (from 2013) that is supposed to reflect, for the first time, the game’s massive television appeal in its heartland? (Something devalued in past dealings by a deal with News Ltd that many believe has left the NRL short-changed because of the media giant’s association with Foxtel.)

But, given the shameful neglect of the Storm in Melbourne by Nine (which some thought indicated the NRL — or at least its free-to-air broadcaster — had no meaningful intention of promoting the game south of the Murray River), was the salary cap rorting irrelevant to the TV rights equation?

In a perverse way, could it be seen as an advantage for the NRL given that, even after its ill-gotten 2007 and 2009 premierships, the Storm had never had such publicity or support in its home town?

One thing you can bet on is that the AFL had a very close eye on the Storm situation. Not just because disgraced former Storm chief executive Brian Waldron came from the AFL via Richmond and St Kilda but because, far more than in past negotiations, there is a sense of crossover between the AFL and NRL TV rights negotiations.

The AFL is reportedly attempting to increase its rights package from the current $780million deal (which was inflated by Kerry Packer’s massive late bid that forced Seven to dig deep to use its last right of refusal) to the $1 billion it believes its next five-year deal is worth.

With no once-in-a-lifetime Packer bid this time, its trump card is the extra game provided by the introduction of the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney franchises — something that brings the likelihood of regular Monday night football.

At the same time, as it extricates itself from the News Ltd ownership deal that was a legacy of the Super League war, the NRL expects a major increase from its current $500 million deal with Nine and Foxtel.

That is something industry experts agree is fully justified given the massive television figures that belie the Melbourne impression that the NRL does not challenge the AFL as a spectator sport.

The NRL’s rights are diminished currently by the fact it has only three free-to-air games (a Friday night double-header and a Sunday afternoon match). Saturday night, where the AFL gains significant revenue from Ten, has always been a sporting black hole in Sydney.

Which is why recent sightings of Ten officials with NRL bosses have created some intrigue, particularly at a time when there have been industry rumours Ten is unhappy with its treatment by the AFL. Inevitably, speculation has grown Ten is preparing to make a pitch for a share of the NRL rights.

League boss David Gallop has said the code might consider splitting rights between two free-to-air networks and Foxtel for the first time (as the AFL does) in order to enhance the value.

That could potentially mean Ten attempting to retain its current AFL position while also showing NRL in the northern states on Saturday nights and AFL in the southern states (as Nine once did on Friday nights).

However, as an industry insider noted, huge production costs of dual coverage make that unlikely.

Another possibility is Ten abandoning the AFL altogether in favour of league — a possibility spruiked loudly in Sydney as the NRL attempts to talk up the price of its own product and create for the first time in years a meaningful bidding war.

The other is that Ten’s posturing is simply the early stages of what will be, again, a long-winded negotiation, this time by both codes.

babyg

Juniors
Good article. Can't wait to see the ratings for the Storm - Warriors game. Should be huge and hopefully a story on it in the paper saying that the Sorm rate.

smithie

Juniors
The NRL needs to be broadcast on two separate FTA networks plus Foxtel. Channel Nine has held back the game for too long. One live FTA game per week is a joke. I would love to see Ten/OneHD get at least one game per week (a Sunday or Monday night game would get great ratings on FTA).

Also interested to see what happens with the Internet broadcast rights too. Would love to see the NRL get a similar deal that the IPL got with Youtube.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ten loses sh*tloads of money having to televise Swans games into Sydney live in the face of very ordinary ratings.

How much longer can they carry that for?

Ten loses sh*tloads of money having to televise Swans games into Sydney live in the face of very ordinary ratings.

How much longer can they carry that for?

They also lose a sh*tload of money televising Lions games into Queensland. I just can't believe the AFL think that bringing in two new teams into NSW and QLD equates to more TV revenue. It is just insane. I mean what TV network would want to broadcast 4 live primetime games of AFL into these two states when it actually costs money to do so. This the main reason CH10 desperately want out of the AFL and one reason the AFL won't get the money they want in the next TV deal.

gronkathon

First Grade
I would love to see what influence this has had on NRL penetration in Victoria.

Unfortunatley no considerable TV data is available because those worthless f**king muppets at 9 think movies from the 1950's are better to show and leave the NRL for midnight

Perth Red

Post Whore
Must admit having been in Melbourne for most of this week I have been very pleasantly surprised at the amount of coverage RL gets here, even considering the Storm scandal which has been main news for days now.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...r-over-tv-rights/story-e6frg7mf-1225875240801

David Gallop declares war over TV rights

* Brent Read
* June 04, 2010 12:00AM

THE NRL is ready to begin a billion-dollar bidding war with the AFL for television rights.

With the game still under fire over the loss of Israel Folau, NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday confirmed he was preparing to open formal negotiations with the broadcasting networks as soon as the federal government completes its review of the anti-siphoning list, expected within weeks.

It means the NRL will start talks with the networks nearly 12 months ahead of schedule, and will be pitched into a head-to-head battle with the AFL, which has already said it hopes to have a new five-year deal in place by the end of September.

The only hurdle confronting the NRL is a clause in its existing contract with Nine, which gives the network first and last rights. However, the Nine Network is expected to give the green light for negotiations to start before schedule - they were due to begin next year.

"The football codes and the broadcasters are waiting for the anti-siphoning rights changes," Gallop said. "Once the government makes that announcement we would certainly be open to commencing formal discussions. We have been preparing for the negotiations for some time. Our club committee and consultants have been working with the various scenarios and we are ready to maximise the opportunities."

Gallop has had informal discussions with the commercial broadcasters and it is understood all three have shown an interest in bidding for rugby league.

"All the broadcasters, like us, are champing at the bit to get cracking on the process," he said. "We want to see a full-blown auction for our rights which will be backed by our stakeholders, including clubs and players."

The NRL is well prepared for negotiations, having hired consultancy firm LEK to advise it on the negotiation process. As part of that investigation, the NRL has considered whether to separate representative football from the NRL, or maintain the current structure which bundles the game.

"I am a proponent of the idea. I can't see why we shouldn't bring it forward and if we're comfortable with the result, I am sure that could be structured in a way that could bring some money into the game earlier than 2013," Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Humphreys said. "Time will tell but it's definitely worth a shot."

The outcome of television negotiations has significant ramifications for the game. Plans to expand the NRL into areas such as the NSW central coast and Perth are contingent on talks with broadcasters. Furthermore, clubs and players are relying on a significant lift from the existing deal - believed to be worth $100 million a year - to improve pay and conditions.

For the NRL, a financial windfall from television negotiations could be the difference between keeping the elite players, or losing them to other sports such as AFL and rugby union.

"It's a big-ticket item," Humphreys said. "If we can get some clarity around (the television deal), we can answer all those questions that hang on it."

As for the prospect of going into battle with the AFL, whose existing deal dwarfs the NRL, Humphreys was ambivalent.

"I don't see that as a major concern," he said. "The good thing I guess for us is we can start talks. If we're comfortable or happy with what is offered, we can agree to the deal."

gUt

Coach
So David 'Conflict of Interest' Gallop wants to get negotiations started before an independent commission is in place eh.

bulldog

Bench
Exactly as I read it too, if the IC is not in place to negotiate then these bastards will need to be watched very closely.

Slackboy72

Coach
Problem is do you want ch9 and foxtel bidding once 7 and 10 have committed themselves and their timeslots to AFL?
More troubling to me is the idea of breaking up the rights. It's just asking for four games a week to be sold off cheaply to foxtel once everyone else has spent their bikkies on SoO and FNF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts