What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gippsy

Bench
And I hope the NRL/Gallop has the balls to include in the contract that games must be shown on FTA nationally, at a reasonable time.

And because of how Ch 9 treats interstate fans I hope they get nothing.

forward pass

Coach
Having it on a network with a 2nd channel dedicated to sports would obviously be ideal. I hope network 10 get it. It would be great for matches to be replayed for FTA viewers - and One would be the only network with any available time to do this.

Ten also have Sports tonight which shows much longer and better highlights than either 7 or 9 news.

meltiger

First Grade
This is really good news. The game will remain on 9 but the other stations are going to allow the NRL to #a - Get rock solid coverage levels into the agreement and #b - Charge a top rate premum for the rights.

We are already starting to see the real benefits of the IC IMO. Even before it has been put in place.

With the comments about "Hell will freeze over" - Well we already saw it happen with the AFL rights last time around, the IC can claim that C9 haven't matched the other offers, even if they are offering more money IF the other offers are proposing to show the game at reasonable times in the developing states. C9 is going to have to come up with a very good bid on all facets to maintain the rights. Most of you probably didn't take too much notice of the AFL deal outside of the $ but basically the AFL refused to ink any contract with 7/10 even though 7 held last right of refusal unless they gaurenteed certain coverage levels in the northern states. The IC is now going to be in a position to do exactly the same.

Last edited:

Gippsy

Bench
I certainly hope you're right Meltiger. What bothers me is in the past the NRL hasn't stood up to channel 9, so lets hope the IC will. Potentially great news.

babyg

Juniors
I think Ten and Seven are starting to see how well league rates on foxtel on a Saturday and Monday night and are thinking that it is well worth getting a peice of this.

There is no way Nine will lose Friday and Sunday league with the first and last rights but let's hope Seven and Ten drive up the price.

The best case scenario I think would be:
Friday - 2 games on Nine (same deal as we get now)
Saturday - 5.30 and 7.30 on Foxtel and 7.30 on Ten
Sunday - 1 Live game on Nine at 4pm and 1 Live on Fox at 2pm
Monday - 1 Live on One HD

Seconded. This stuff is getting me excited.

Tipster

Bench
I think Ten and Seven are starting to see how well league rates on foxtel on a Saturday and Monday night and are thinking that it is well worth getting a peice of this.

There is no way Nine will lose Friday and Sunday league with the first and last rights but let's hope Seven and Ten drive up the price.

The best case scenario I think would be:
Friday - 2 games on Nine (same deal as we get now)
Saturday - 5.30 and 7.30 on Foxtel and 7.30 on Ten
Sunday - 1 Live game on Nine at 4pm and 1 Live on Fox at 2pm
Monday - 1 Live on One HD

More the merrier

meltiger

First Grade
I certainly hope you're right Meltiger. What bothers me is in the past the NRL hasn't stood up to channel 9, so lets hope the IC will. Potentially great news.

No & that;s the whole idea, with the IC only beholden to the clubs, NSWRL & QRL, they will be in a position to flex their muscle in regards to the coverage levels issue. Rather than the partnership which is far to cosy with 9 and Fox

Fact is, and i've said this for years, the NRL is FAR to important in the northern states for the successful bidder to be to difficult re: Southern States and risk losing the advertising income they recieve up north. 9 offer a billion dollars (which is where I expect both games will roughly sit in value) with same coverage as now, 10 offer a billion along with One taking FNF live into the Southern states, do you honestly believe 9 are going to refuse to come to the party? No chance in the world.

Depending on the changes (if any) to the FTA monopoly laws, what we'll see is either 9 dig 2 or a foxtel channel screnning at the least FNF live into the developing states. We're certainly not going to see them go h2h on their main channel against the AFL in Melbourne specifically but we will get the game on live in some form.

Last edited:

Sir Biffo

Bench
Hopefully they split all the games up as well. Origin and the GF would be worth a packet - there are 4 guaranteed programs in the top 10 nationwide for the year.

Fumbleball can only guarantee you one.

franklin2323

Immortal
Having it on a network with a 2nd channel dedicated to sports would obviously be ideal. I hope network 10 get it. It would be great for matches to be replayed for FTA viewers - and One would be the only network with any available time to do this.

Ten also have Sports tonight which shows much longer and better highlights than either 7 or 9 news.

Exactly. 1HD could have the games on where RL doesn't "rate" and 10 can show the rest. You Perth and Melb residents how good would it be to watch League live on a Fri nite or something.

They would do this we had the AFL pre season trials thing Live on One on Sat nights delayed about midnight.

As for the $1b with no AFL to pay for they will save money. Also by then the analog signal will be gone with more people using digital more sponsors get on board

Mr Saab

Referee
Ch10 can bring back

Bill Anderson
Ian Maurice
Rex Mossop
Graeme Hughes
Johnny Croucher...for his TAB stats (get lost Glenn Munsie, Johnny was the original and the best)

GongPanther

Referee
What has been overlooked here is that if the AFL was worth $1 billion a few years ago...surely that would make the new Rugby League contract (combined) worth at least $1.3 to $1.6 billion in 2013.

Doug2234

First Grade
Exactly. 1HD could have the games on where RL doesn't "rate" and 10 can show the rest.

Go back to watching Rugby League in non HD... No friggin way....

I hate Ch9 but 10 are kidding themselves... They are getting screwed in the AFL world cause they cant compete.. Ch7 and Ch9 are the two major players and one of these will get the rights...

Why would anyone want it back on Ch10 for???? They cant even get there arse in gear and have there flagship channel in HD....

mickdo

Coach
And I hope the NRL/Gallop has the balls to include in the contract that games must be shown on FTA nationally, at a reasonable time.

With the FTA's now having extra digital channels, I don't think that would be a problem

IanG

Coach
Ch10 can bring back

Bill Anderson
Ian Maurice
Rex Mossop
Graeme Hughes
Johnny Croucher...for his TAB stats (get lost Glenn Munsie, Johnny was the original and the best)

I don't think the moose is fit enough these days. Been having some health problems lately from what I've heard.

I actually sent an e-mail to the Talkin' Sport show asking Graeme Hughes if Ten or Seven approached him would he be interested. His reply was "I would certainly consider it".

franklin2323

Immortal
Go back to watching Rugby League in non HD... No friggin way....

I hate Ch9 but 10 are kidding themselves... They are getting screwed in the AFL world cause they cant compete.. Ch7 and Ch9 are the two major players and one of these will get the rights...

Why would anyone want it back on Ch10 for???? They cant even get there arse in gear and have there flagship channel in HD....

Without getting too techincal ATM they can't Analog takes up too much room when it's switched off starting this year they have more room so can have multiple HD channels.

They wouldn't just show it on 10 anyway what they have on 10 sportwise is simicast on 1HD like F1 etc. They could just use the 0ne option where 9 wont show it

Perth Red

Post Whore
What has been overlooked here is that if the AFL was worth $1 billion a few years ago...surely that would make the new Rugby League contract (combined) worth at least $1.3 to $1.6 billion in 2013.

AFl contract was worth around $780mill and they are now spouting on about getting a billion. In theory we should get more than whatever they get but historically we have never done so. A billion would do me, would give approx $100mill a year more to play with and that should be enough to sort out the games problems and steer it to a very bright National future.

saint pebba

Coach
AFl contract was worth around $780mill and they are now spouting on about getting a billion. In theory we should get more than whatever they get but historically we have never done so. A billion would do me, would give approx $100mill a year more to play with and that should be enough to sort out the games problems and steer it to a very bright National future.

Realistically anything around $160 mil a year is good coin.

If the salary cap was raised to 6 mil and the clubs were given a grant of 7 mil that would still leave around 48 mil a year plus the money from sponsorships for the future development of the game

Dragonwest

Juniors
Would the splitting of our rights hurt the value of the AFL deal? Will channels be willing to bid for the AFL with all their money on the table or are they going to hold back some proportion hoping to be able to grab a small section of the league coverage aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts