What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
They had to as 7, 9 and 10 are currently only allowed 1 HD channel and 2 SD channels.

they didn't have to

they could've kept their main channel in HD and made One just in SD

considering more people watch their main channel that would have been the wise move

thommo4pm

Coach
And I hope the NRL/Gallop has the balls to include in the contract that games must be shown on FTA nationally, at a reasonable time.

And because of how Ch 9 treats interstate fans I hope they get nothing.

Stuff the reasonable time, lets just come out and say no later than 9pm the coverage must begin....or no later than 60-90 minutes after the match has started.
Let's take AFL on in their states....yes their ratings will out draw us, but we'll get higher ratings than we do with the games being shown after midnight.

eagles4eva

First Grade
If Ten were to win would Fox lose all coverage ?
the danger I see in Fox in a bidding war would be they would have to bump all their prices up

I wouldnt mind free to air (OneHD) having the NRL rights, would save on disconnecting Fox and save on sanity as IQ wouldnt be packed with lifestyle shows the wife hoards.

Either way if Fox lifts thier prices either through AFL or NRL rights, will make very hard to justify the monthly charges for just sport.

Fui!!!

Juniors
Don't forget in 2013, If you don't get ONE, you wont get TV at all. Analog signals will be switched off.

franklin2323

Immortal
they didn't have to

they could've kept their main channel in HD and made One just in SD

considering more people watch their main channel that would have been the wise move

No way Neighbours in HD or sport?? Sport always the clearer the better

Green Machine

First Grade

nrlnrl

First Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine
Last night on One HD and they said the AFL opener won't be "Live" into Sydney,

what a joke. the sooner these bs anti-siphoning laws get reviewed the better. __________________Quote

ok, it's not an AFL forum, but for those in NSW, QLD & ACT who want to watch it live - it's on Main Event

cocodmonkey

Juniors
will be interesting if Ch10 offer $1bill for exclusive rights (do they have that sort of money?) Would force Fox to offer even more or try and buy some games off Ch10 ala AFL. Fox knows it needs RL to remain viable. For Ch10 it could launch their HD channels to a whole new level.

I think you will find that the NRL are going to sell the rights piece meal. Origin will be a package, Tests another. Super Saturday, so on and so on. They won't want one broadcaster holding all the cards. I think this will be better for the game as there will be heaps more money and competition in broadcast innovations. All good for the game.

Fordy20

Juniors
The new TV rights need a use it or lose it policy too. I would have rocked down to the pub to watch the City v Country match live, but Fox couldn't air it because 9 was airing it delayed after the Test, with 10-12 ads everytime play stopped.

It was dialobical

franklin2323

Immortal
true, but look at the ratings for One. last night was only 0.7%

compare that to their main channel on 22.4%

source http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/03/week-13-3.html

so why have One as their only HD channel when f**k all people watch it?

yeah part of the problem no one has digital still. Go and 7two also has low viewers.

Also Most of their sport is from US so at night is repeated no rights was up for grabs when they coudn't get major Aus sport. I dare say even they will even make a play for the Boring Super 14. They need as much LIVE sport as possible to survive. Hence this play here we have a Sports channel with no LIVE sport on Fri night doesn't make sense

Sleep

Juniors
OneHD does a good job with the American Sports. I know they more or less just pump through the feed but it puts our supposed "HD" to shame.

The NFL and NBA look flat out incredible. Far superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.