What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
Im not a big fan of Gallop ,but the real test will be the next rights...
& i do enjoy the fact that he seems to be able to speak a bit more freely.

Read the other day he was at a function & said something like (when talking about the GF this Sun) "We will get a result on sun Afternoon".
Nice little dig at the AFL..

As long as we get a result in the next TV deal.

i saw f**knut Bill Woods talking down the NRL rights last night on TNL

Bill Woods should be banned from attending NRL games

I dunno. He has been supportive of expansion and the ccbears in particular. Yesterday when he posed the question to David Gallop for example. There are worser condemers out there.

docbrown

Coach
I'd love to see a Sunday afternoon doubleheader on Nine/GEM, 2pm & 4pm with lead into Nine News.

I've said it before and it seems that's where it's headed - with a 9th game to be play either NZ 2pm, WA 4pm or EST 6pm on a Sunday on Fox.

timka4

Bench
been said a thousand times. BUT, the game must be shown live Nationally, watch our f**king ratings sky rocket then there will be no contest between us and AFL

BunniesMan

Immortal
Sounds like for all the whinging on here Gallops been doing a bang up job the last few years

And all that good work of the last few years will be for nothing if he doesn't hit a home run in the next tv deal. Let's face it, all those good things that happened were done to give us every advantage in the negotiations. And if he messes them up it's all been for nothing.

As a fan of both codes I can unbiasedly say the higher ups at the AFL are a million times better at what they do than their NRL counterparts. Both codes deserve to get a huge billion dollar + deal, but sadly it won't surprise me if the NRL doesn't get what it deserves.

Demetriou is a tosser but as an AFL fan I love that he's in charge of the code, he knows what he's doing. And as a NRL fan I wish he was running the NRL.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sounds like for all the whinging on here Gallops been doing a bang up job the last few years

My main prob is he lets 9 crap on the game outside of NSW/QLD. Melbourne games should be LIVE to Melbourne. The other games at the least be on no more then 1 hour delay to the other states

Goddo

Bench
I hate when people use "ect" its not a word or an abreviation.

The correct term to use is etc, which is short for "et cetera", a latin term meaning "and other (things)"

Razor

Coach
If AFL gets $1 billion and we get less, then we have been ripped off. It is as simple as that. We are the number one watched sport on television, therefore we should demand the number one price to show it.

Put another way, television is about ratings, we rate the highest, thus we get the highest pay. End of story.

Well if the independent commission is running by the negotiations then News Lrd won't be negotiating with themselves on how much to pay for the tv rights (News Ltd do have majority ownership in 2 clubs, but that's only 2 votes from 16). The 2001 and 2007 deals were both a joke. The court found in favour of News Ltd and the NRL when Seven took them to court over the pay TV rights (2001), but that's only because 7 couldn't prove they weren't even considered (yes it's true organisations can give the rights to anyone they want, but if they say all offers are considered, then they have to - so when C7 Sport offered twice was Fox Sports did, then the NRL went with Fox Sports for some bullcrap reason that the public wouldn't want to watch C7 or something along those lines. Unfortunately the NRL and News Ltd appointed board members to the NRL said that under oath, and Seven were unable to prove it was bullsh*t)

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
been said a thousand times. BUT, the game must be shown live Nationally, watch our f**king ratings sky rocket then there will be no contest between us and AFL
This.
Somehow we are already beating them despite tying an arm behind our back. IMO the Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth ratings would increase massively if the games were shown at a decent hour, maybe even double or more, and they need to be left there to build an even better audience.

To me it's like Rove, he was a joke and and struggled for years with poor ratings, but channel 10 stuck to their guns and kept him there. After a while his face became familiar and people would start watching just because they were used to it, it was a good background noise show while doing something else, like being on the computer.

The AFL have had it's games shown live or at a decent time in NSW for around 20 years, maybe longer I can't remember. I can remember the RL coverage from back in the 80s but never noticed AFL until the early 90s and wondered why the hell it was always on on Saturdays and Sundays when the RL only had a delayed Friday night game and a delayed chopped up hour on Sunday.

The NRL needs to do the same thing, stick it on and leave it there no matter the early ratings, they will eventually grow. Even with the NRL and 9 crapping all over these markets they have a better overall audience, imagine where the game could be if they nurtured these areas. The AFL would be irrelevant.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well if the independent commission is running by the negotiations then News Lrd won't be negotiating with themselves on how much to pay for the tv rights (News Ltd do have majority ownership in 2 clubs, but that's only 2 votes from 16). The 2001 and 2007 deals were both a joke. The court found in favour of News Ltd and the NRL when Seven took them to court over the pay TV rights (2001), but that's only because 7 couldn't prove they weren't even considered (yes it's true organisations can give the rights to anyone they want, but if they say all offers are considered, then they have to - so when C7 Sport offered twice was Fox Sports did, then the NRL went with Fox Sports for some bullcrap reason that the public wouldn't want to watch C7 or something along those lines. Unfortunately the NRL and News Ltd appointed board members to the NRL said that under oath, and Seven were unable to prove it was bullsh*t)

Only issue with that is that the first IC board will be selected by News and the ARL, Im not to sure that those selected will give us significantly better results then the current set up.

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
After Channel 9 sacked him for his constant poor ratings.
I was going to say that but assumed it was common knowledge.
That's what I was getting at though, the guy was pathetic, him and his show never got any better but it built up an audience because channel 10 kept persisting with him.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
This.
Somehow we are already beating them despite tying an arm behind our back. IMO the Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth ratings would increase massively if the games were shown at a decent hour, maybe even double or more, and they need to be left there to build an even better audience.
This

I think its quite feasible to think that audiences would more than double if the games were shown in to Melbourne at say 8:30 or 9:30 instead of 1am. To assume any less would be underselling the NRL and its worth. What annoys me most is that they don't even have anything decent on instead. They normally have a rerun of MASH or better homes and gardens or some rubbish like that.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
For those who voted channel 7, remember that they are filled with pro AFL cronies and RL will not get positive coverage, watch Sunrise some time and see how they never talk about good league stories and they report on in order AFL, Cricket out of season, Rugby, Athletics, Cycling, Soccer, Ping Pong, Rounders then NRL.

blackberryman

Juniors
For those who voted channel 7, remember that they are filled with pro AFL cronies and RL will not get positive coverage, watch Sunrise some time and see how they never talk about good league stories and they report on in order AFL, Cricket out of season, Rugby, Athletics, Cycling, Soccer, Ping Pong, Rounders then NRL.

lol @ Ping Pong and Rounders.

I agree with what you said, but at the end of the day they are puppets of the Business.

If they pay a sh!tload for NRL then they sure as hell are going to promote it... wouldn't let such a lucritive asset falter...

IMO, nothing will change anyway.... when I take my work trips to Melbourne I will forced to go and get ripsnorted everynight with due to intense boredom from the stupid aerial Ping Pong crap that litters the media platforms....

And how is that different to Channel 9 right now who give more publicity to AFL than to the NRL?

And in any case I am quite certain Ch7 will look after any product they put money into ... unlike ch9

Razor

Coach
watch Sunrise some time and see how they never talk about good league stories and they report on in order AFL, Cricket out of season, Rugby, Athletics, Cycling, Soccer, Ping Pong, Rounders then NRL.

Mark Baretta loves league. He constantly talks it up,

Koch is from Adelaide and Barr from WA, so of course they like AFL.

Doyle doesn't like either.

And League is usually in the top 2 during the NRL season on their news breaks every 30 mins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This

I think its quite feasible to think that audiences would more than double if the games were shown in to Melbourne at say 8:30 or 9:30 instead of 1am. To assume any less would be underselling the NRL and its worth. What annoys me most is that they don't even have anything decent on instead. They normally have a rerun of MASH or better homes and gardens or some rubbish like that.

The GF will be going live, or very close to, nationally tomorrow so will be interesting to see what figures it gets. Of course with their own team and chance to build a viewing audience the figures for the emerging states should continue to grow and easily eclipse what AFL draws in NSW & Q'land.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/nrl-eye-grand-final-as-tv-cash-cow-20101002-161ld.html

NRL eye grand final as TV cash cow
October 2, 2010 - 5:34PM

AAP

The NRL grand final could be sold to television as a stand-alone game when a new broadcast deal is struck.

The league has already signalled that big games such as State of Origin could be auctioned as separate entities to maximise the income the sport generates.

The NRL's current television deals expire at the end of 2012.

Chief executive David Gallop says informal discussions with broadcasters have begun with more formal talks to get underway next year.

"Everything's possible at this stage," he told AAP.

"We're keen to have a clear auction of our rights in whatever form that presents the best result.

"We've said we're open to anything that gets us maximum exposure and maximum commercial return."

Gallop said Sunday's decider between St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters would have some affect on the rights negotiations.

"Ratings for your big games are very important but of more importance is your game's ability to deliver over a 30-week period and that's what rugby league's done in 2010," he said.

"We've exceeded expectation in terms of the viewership of the game and that points to the quality of the competition on a weekly basis.

"We expect massive numbers tomorrow.

"Clearly, being an all-Sydney final, we'll notice some differences from the last few years but we're ecstatic about how our game's travelling in terms of television results."

Gallop said there was no imperative to out rate the AFL grand final replay on the same weekend, with figures this week indicating the NRL led its rival in total audience numbers for the year.

"It's not necessarily about pipping them because there are a whole lot of variables," he said.

"We'll get an enormous audience and we'll be pretty comfortable with that, we won't be too worried about what they're doing."

Gallop's comments came as the NRL announced its new multi-million dollar headquarters will be built next to the Sydney Football Stadium.

The $17.4 million Rugby League Central building will house the NRL, expected to become an independent commission in the coming months, as well as the Australian, NSW and Country Rugby Leagues.

The federal government has committed $10.4 million to the project and the NSW government $1 million with completion expected in 18 months.

"The NFL's in Manhattan for a reason, because it's a high profile sport and it's looking to be in a prestigious location," Gallop said.

"In our view this is even better."

Gallop said a demand from NRL clubs that league's commission be finalised by November 1 remained a distinct possibility.

"There's progress being made, further talks (were) held this week," he said.

"I don't think anyone ever expected it to be the start date, more a date when the parties had reached agreement in principle and I think that's still realistic."

Status
Not open for further replies.