What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
Total amount isn't everything. I'd much prefer a 850M over 5 years instead of another 6/7 year deal worth one billion.

I'm talking 5 years.

I've also heard AFL might try for a 4 year deal.

Pro: they get a 1 year jump on the NRL. Con: networks will pay less due to inflation.

After club grants are increase in this next deal, we will have a minimum $400 million+ to develop the game.

applesauce

Bench
I would prefer 850mill if it means live telecasts NATIONWIDE, fair treatment by the station that holds the rights and an all round appreciation for growing the game across Australia (which is in it's infancy compared to AFL, yet we get comparable ratings which say a lot).

Plus, only if we have a decent IC in place that will utilise the money we have correctly. We can get 2billion but if we piss it up against the wall on hair brained schemes (AFL=GWS) what's the point in the TV rights...

docbrown

Coach
I would prefer 850mill if it means live telecasts NATIONWIDE, fair treatment by the station that holds the rights and an all round appreciation for growing the game across Australia (which is in it's infancy compared to AFL, yet we get comparable ratings which say a lot).

Plus, only if we have a decent IC in place that will utilise the money we have correctly. We can get 2billion but if we piss it up against the wall on hair brained schemes (AFL=GWS) what's the point in the TV rights...

I don't think either code will have to take a financial hit considering each network is look to have a main channel + 3 digital offshoots. They're looking for original first run content and that's something sport provides in droves.

True about IC. There's got to be a major focus on increasing grassroots nationwide and in the pacific. We want young players to become lifelong fans.

docbrown

Coach
AFL Friday Night Metro on 7 - 1,341,000
AFL Friday Night Regional on 7 - 262,000
AFL Friday Night Preliminary Final National on 7 - 1,603,000

AFL Saturday Night Metro on 10 - 973,000
AFL Saturday Night Metro on One HD - 199,000
AFL Saturday Night Combined Metro - 1,172,000
AFL Saturday Night Regional on 10 - (1,292,000cut off-973,000 max) - 319,000 max
or likely if same % as Seven's match (19.5% - seems common) - 190,000 approx
AFL Saturday Night Regional on One HD - unknown but if 19.5% - 39,000 approx
AFL Saturday Night Preliminary Final National on both Ten & One HD - 1,401,000 to 1,530,000 max

NRL Friday Semi Final Nationally - 1,584,000
NRL Saturday Semi Final Nationally - 1,368,000

For a Semi Finals comparison from previous threads:

AFL Saturday Semi Final (WB v Syd) Nationally = 935,000 (10) + 146,000 (one) + approx 19% regionals for both - 1,286,300 approx

AFL Friday Semi Final (Gee v Free) Nationally - 1,253,000

It seems that 19% is about the ratio for AFL regionals to AFL metro.

Goddo

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tv-stations-told-to-play-fair-over-footy-rights-20100921-15jxe.html
TV stations told to play fair over footy rights

Phillip Coorey

September 21, 2010
THE federal government has promised AFL fans that last week's debacle in which free-to-air TV delayed for two hours the telecast of the preliminary final between Collingwood and Geelong will never be repeated because of impending changes to the way live sport is broadcast.

Under changes to the anti-siphoning laws to be unveiled before Christmas, free-to-air television stations will be required to broadcast sport live or hand it over to pay TV.

However, the stations will have the option of broadcasting the event live on one of their secondary digital channels, instead of their main channel, giving them the best of both worlds.

Only if they choose to hoard the event and not run it live at all will they have to allow pay TV to broadcast it under a ''use-it-or-lose-it'' provision.

The changes have been ready since early this year but were delayed by the government's various misfortunes including the mining tax imbroglio, Kevin Rudd's ousting and then the election. They are awaiting sign-off by the cabinet and will be enacted by regulation before December 31, when the current anti-siphoning list expires.

On Friday night, viewers in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra were unable to watch the preliminary final on Channel Seven or its regional affiliate, Prime, until 9.30pm, two hours after the game began. The event was made available live on Fox TV's Main Event channel.

Channel Seven and Prime were inundated with complaints from people without pay TV but they were told the AFL would rate poorly against the NRL final between the Canberra Raiders and Wests Tigers (on Channel Nine) so it was worth Seven's while to delay coverage.

The new regulations cover the next AFL TV rights contract which runs from 2012 to 2016 and is forecast to be worth $1 billion.

The latest figures show that as of June 30, 74 per cent of Australian households had converted to digital television. By contrast, 30 per cent subscribed to pay TV.
Analog TV is due to be phased out completely by 2013.

Perth Tiger

Bench
About bloody time

It has been stupid that C9 can't show the NRL on there digital channels but it is fine to not sure it at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they scrapped the anti syphoning all together would Fox sports be bold and rich enough to try and get the entire NRL and sell back to FTA or not show it on FTA at all to massively boost their subscriptions? Doubt the NRL would go for it but if a big enough offer came in it would be interesting to see who blinked first.

applesauce

Bench
If they scrapped the anti syphoning all together would Fox sports be bold and rich enough to try and get the entire NRL and sell back to FTA or not show it on FTA at all to massively boost their subscriptions? Doubt the NRL would go for it but if a big enough offer came in it would be interesting to see who blinked first.

Surely not, exposure is how the game will survive. If the IC sign off on that then the game will die...

What it could do is get Fox to realise the importance of the NRL to it's subscriptions and give us the true worth or risk losing it to other FTA networks.

I hope a bidding war breaks out between 10 and Fox for Saturday games (10 just to lift the price, and get 1 game).
A bidding war between 9 and 7 for FNF and Sunday arvo/evenings (7 winning).
And a bidding war between 7/10 and 9 for the SOO/Internationals/All Stars/Finals (7/10 winning).

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...ts-on-ray-hadley/story-e6frf96o-1225928590850

Seven sets its sights on Ray Hadley

* September 24, 2010 12:00AM

CHANNEL 7 boss David Leckie has confirmed he's in the hunt for Ray Hadley's signature if the network wins the TV rights to the NRL.

The courtship of Hadley, 2GB's voice of league, began over beers and beef wellington canapes yesterday at a celebration lunch for the Continuous Call Team, where the Seven CEO was a surprise guest.

It comes as Hadley revealed he has re-signed with Macquarie Radio Network until 2018, on a deal rumoured to be worth more than $20 million.

While rival Nine has the TV rights to league until 2012, Leckie's plan to claim the game has been building momentum.

Asked if Hadley was in his sights, Leckie said: "Of course, I want him. I'd be mad not to."

Hadley said he would begin passing his radio call commitments to Andrew Moore.

franklin2323

Immortal
seems like 7 are very serious about getting the rights

Can't stand him but at least he's a RL caller not a nuffie they drumed up. Still think 1/10 is the ideal channel given they have the digital channel to play the games on also.

Super Sat on one HD. Fri and Sun on 10. Sounds like a good plan to me

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want league to go to 7. If nine is bad, 7 will be ten times worse, moreso in the states outside NSW and QLD.

10 or ABC would be my preferences.

10 may not get a chance though as they probably paid every cent they have just to get half of the AFL coverage.

El Diablo

Post Whore
how can anyone possibly be worse than 9 :?

they do not even honour their contractual agreements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts