What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RWB

Bench
Ask a Stom fan living in Vic what he thinks of nine..

Well aware of the situation, you'd hope this time being more professional about these TV rights they will write up a legitimate contract. I just don't get everyone ruling them out, the more bidders the more money. If the NRL go about this the right way then I don't care what station it goes to because the contract should have everything they need written into it.

Idiots ruling a station out just because they have a personal agenda against them are just that.

Because AFL is an Australia wide game? NRL is not.
Could have fooled me.
Qld.NRL.AFL
NSW.NRL..AFL
VIC...NRL..AFL
SA..AFL
WA..AFL
TAS..............................
ACT..NRL
NT................................
So out of 6 states & two territories the AFL has a presence in 5
the NRL has a presence in 4...plus another country.

No game is national....when more than a third of the country is not represented by a team.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Shows how much I watch Channel 9 when they're not showing NRL action..

What are the shows?

Footy Show Thursday AFL

Footy Show Sunday AFL (goes for 2 hours)

TAC Cup Future Stars

Footy Classifieds - here's a nice story about that too http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=3165202&postcount=77

also don't forget that till GO! came along 9 used to show the AFL Footy Show on 9HD at 9:30pm on Thursdays in Brisbane and Sydney

Footy Classifieds was also sown on 9HD at the same time AFL states got it

9 never did the same for any NRL show in AFL states

Last edited:

RWB

Bench
Could have fooled me.
Qld.NRL.AFL
NSW.NRL..AFL
VIC...NRL..AFL
SA..AFL
WA..AFL
TAS..............................
ACT..NRL
NT................................
So out of 6 states & two territories the AFL has a presence in 5
the NRL has a presence in 4...plus another country.

No game is national....when more than a third of the country is not represented by a team.

Ever been to Tassy? It's an AFL state...

The ACT sure does make your stats look good though :lol:

I'll never defend AFL but I'll never be this ignorant to think that we're that close to them on a national scale. Potentially sure, but not yet.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Well aware of the situation, you'd hope this time being more professional about these TV rights they will write up a legitimate contract. I just don't get everyone ruling them out, the more bidders the more money. If the NRL go about this the right way then I don't care what station it goes to because the contract should have everything they need written into it.

Idiots ruling a station out just because they have a personal agenda against them are just that.

well they do have a contract now that 9 breach probably every week

RWB

Bench
well they do have a contract now that 9 breach probably every week

So the rumour goes... like most poorly negotiated contracts there's always a loop hole. Is it not strange that the NRL have never challenged this?

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I'll never defend AFL but I'll never be this ignorant to think that we're that close to them on a national scale. Potentially sure, but not yet.

We are very close to them on a national scale. We already have teams in more cities than the AFL, some of which the AFL can never put a team in. With the (hopefully) introduction of the bears and reds over the next few years, the NRL will be the most national league in the country - by far.

beave

Coach

I was in Sale VIC for work in 2009, the biggest game of the year (bar the GF) was the bulldogs eels qualifying final on the friday night. All 6 of us lads down there, we were all gee'd up to watch the game on 9 thinking the game would be shown surely even slightly delayed because there was no AFL on that night due to their GF being the next day, what the hell did they have to lose................ well you guessed it, no it wasn't. Well you can't call a 2am kick off slightly delayed................ We had to watch the f**king thing via an Iraqi lad who was streaming it live from EPSN europe. The game would have been no more than 800kms as the crow flies from where we were staying, but in order to 'watch it' we had to go to those lengths. And even then it was a rubbish feed so we had to listen to it via 2GB internet radio. Until 9 treat this game with the respect it deserves, they will continue to get bagged by all and sundry in here, I don't blame people for getting sh*tty with them, it's warranted in my eyes.

A mere week after the above sh*t, during the GF ceremony for the storm getting their trophy, ch9 melbourne cut straight from the fulltime whistle to the sunday evening news, not one second of any of the presentation ceremony was shown. Suprising, there was quite a bit of an outcry down that way over it, people will watch the damn sport, it is the perfect TV game, they just need to show the thing at a decent hour and give the heathens a chance to like it FFS.......

Last edited:
Has every bit of relevance to a broadcaster.

How does it not?
You will get more viewers with a home team in the state.

& if you look at it that way
Well you can take 3 of the 4 biggest media markets in OZ out of the equation.
QLD,NSW,& regional NNSW..as the AFL rate very poorly ....so bad that CH 10 complained they were losing big$$$$ showing it .

RWB

Bench
We are very close to them on a national scale. We already have teams in more cities than the AFL, some of which the AFL can never put a team in. With the (hopefully) introduction of the bears and reds over the next few years, the NRL will be the most national league in the country - by far.

I still believe we're some way off, despite what a lot of league biased stats say. Having spent my Chrismtas in Melbourne and WA I have to say I was underwhelmed at how many people knew about a WA bid/Melbourne Storm.

Was invited to the WA Reds headquarters, man have they deteriorated as club as I was invited there when they first started. Not sure of the official figures but in their first season they got 20k + members, I was shocked when talking to the memberships department that they are aiming for a tick over 11k this year :sarcasm:

Perth Red

Post Whore

I'd have to disagree,

AFL
2 in WA
2 in SA
9 in Vic
2 in NSW
2 in Q'land
teams linked in to play regular games in:
NT
Tas
ACT
Basically they will have at least 4 games of AFL in every state and territory in the country

NRL
we have:
WA 0
SA 0
Vic 1
NSW10
Q'land 3
ACT 1

no guaranteed games in SA,WA, Tas or NT

Aside from maybe Newcastle I doubt there is any population area AFL would want to be in that we are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts