What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

taipan

Referee
Roy says, "The AFL's refusal to make a submission raised eyebrows at the NRL", yeah right Roy. The NRL didn't make a submission either, because every sport is conflicted in making public statements about TV stations.

Hinting at conspiracy theories about collusion between the AFL and PMG is rather pissweak, and suggests that Roy's been talking to NRL executives who are looking for excuses as to why they don't get nearly as good a deal. It's loser talk. Rugby league is good enough as a product to rival AFL's rights deals if it has the best people selling it for the right reasons. It's a bit cowardly to blame the AFL boogeyman when it's incompetent executives who are at fault for not getting the best deal done.

Good OK you earnt your money from AFL head office,with the prerequisite Masters bashing.Shoot the messenger always works a treat.:roll:
Elliot Ness and the untouchables: that is AFL.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm hungover and the anti afl idiots on this forum hurt my head every bit as much as their anti nrl counterparts on afl forums. Ironic that some of you spend so much time hating the AFL when you have so much in common with some of their fans.

Irrational hatred is annoying anytime but especially here where monty makes a perfectly valid point and he's jumped all over for no good reason. The NRL's deal should be at least as good as the AFL's and if it isn't it won't be the AFL's fault.

Dragonwest

Juniors
It's about time you canetoads did something useful for us.

Today is a national show, and the IC news will happen when it officially starts, and especially when they start choosing commissioners.

I don't buy into that. Over half's Australian's population is league territory. We occupy a higher majority of the top 10 populated cities in Australia and we are the most watched code on TV. Channel 9 should be treating their number 1 sport with priority.

That's coming from a Perth local.

joshreading

Staff member
ahh... we agree on something bunniesman.

This is in the hands of the NRL, no point trying to deflect the blame. Neither AFL or NRL made submissions, how does that point to the AFL alone trying to position itself? They all are.

m0nty

Juniors
Good OK you earnt your money from AFL head office,with the prerequisite Masters bashing.Shoot the messenger always works a treat.:roll:
Elliot Ness and the untouchables: that is AFL.
Heh, the AFL paying me, that's funny. I can assure you the AFL does not like me at all. They won't even give me media accreditation, despite my audience being bigger than half the flogs they do give it to.

Thanks BunniesMan, at least you get where I'm coming from.

docbrown

Coach
It sounds ironic to say this given what happened 15 years ago, but perhaps Rugby League needs a media baron to come in and steal the rights from News.

Astro Media...?

taipan

Referee
Heh, the AFL paying me, that's funny. I can assure you the AFL does not like me at all. They won't even give me media accreditation, despite my audience being bigger than half the flogs they do give it to.

Thanks BunniesMan, at least you get where I'm coming from.

Well they should take you on board ,you are doing an admirable job for them.

El Diablo

Post Whore
that's why i don't get the first and last rights bid for pay games

there's only 1 bidder anyway :?

why did News want that in there?

m0nty

Juniors
that's why i don't get the first and last rights bid for pay games

there's only 1 bidder anyway :?

why did News want that in there?

Wasn't there an Indian mob who was rumoured to be sniffing around various Australian sports? Fetch TV, I think they were called. You never know what will happen.

docbrown

Coach
Wasn't there an Indian mob who was rumoured to be sniffing around various Australian sports? Fetch TV, I think they were called. You never know what will happen.

They're owned by... wait for it...

ASTRO MEDIA

They also own satellite and cable TV companies across Asia.

Flapper

First Grade
Fetch is a Malaysian owned company (not Indian, monty). They've angled for AFL games first because of their bundling deal with iinet, which does the vast majority of its business in Perth, but if the business spreads to NRL states they might be interested. It's not like the owner is short of a quid.

docbrown

Coach
Fetch is a Malaysian owned company (not Indian, monty). They've angled for AFL games first because of their bundling deal with iinet, which does the vast majority of its business in Perth, but if the business spreads to NRL states they might be interested. It's not like the owner is short of a quid.

Yeah Malaysian owned but there operate in India and China as well.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.businessspectator.com.au...RL-Twenty20-Wor-pd20101222-CD7BU?OpenDocument

New blood for old sports

Stephen Bartholomeusz

Published 3:48 PM, 22 Dec 2010

Stephen Conroy has produced a new ‘anti-siphoning’ list which makes a few changes to the existing list of sports reserved for free-to-air television. The new list, however, is just a holding device before more significant changes to the networks’ privileged position are made next year.

Conroy had to publish a new list because the old one expires on December 31. He described today’s list as "interim", pending the implementation of reforms to the anti-siphoning regime he announced last month. The British Open golf and French Open tennis are off the list, with Twenty20 cricket and the Socceroos’ World Cup qualifiers added.

Under the proposed permanent changes the list will be split into two tiers: one containing iconic events that the networks will have to broadcast and in full and the other containing everything else. The networks will be able to broadcast those ‘other’ events on their digital multi-channels but on a ‘use it or lose it’ basis.

However, the most significant change is the proposed de-listing of four AFL games and five NRL games from the list, enabling pay TV to bid for the rights to those games. At present – and until the new restructured list is in place – free-to-air have the first right to acquire and broadcast all AFL and NRL games.

Conroy confirmed today that he was still working with the codes and broadcasters for a regime that would maintain the two best AFL games (shown on Friday and Saturday evenings and selected by the AFL), along with the Anzac Day and Queen’s Birthday games on free-to-air, with a similar approach for the NRL. South Australian and West Australian viewers would also be guaranteed free-to-air coverage of teams from their state. Overall, four of the eight AFL games each week would remain protected.

Once that regime is in place Foxtel in particular will become a bigger direct player in the negotiations and bidding for rights to the two codes. At present it can only acquire what the free-to-air networks don’t want at prices that they can virtually dictate.

Assuming the two-tiered list is in place sometime early next year, it will be a major financial fillip for the football codes in particular.

Goldman Sachs has produced some timely research on sports rights which says that there are $2 billion of sports broadcast rights (using their current value) due for renewal by the end of 2014.

The AFL is first cab of the rank next year, when its current $780 million deal with the broadcasters expires at the end of the season. The NRL’s $500 million package ends in 2012, cricket’s $320 million deal in 2013 along with soccer’s $120 million contract and the Australian Open’s $100 million deal in 2014.

The big two football codes are the winners, given that there will be more broadly based competition for their rights, although they will be disappointed that new media (which probably means Telstra) aren’t allowed to gain exclusive access to sports rights and therefore won’t be an extra source of bidding tension.

If the value of the key sports rights goes up, so do the costs of the networks who need that programming to drive ratings and revenue and provide flow-on effects to their wider schedules.

Goldman says that sports programming currently represents about 25 per cent of all the network’s programming costs, which in turn represent about 70 per cent of the networks’ total operating costs.

That provides some insight into how important the networks think those rights are and probably supports the view that the partial de-regulation of the list is going to see the value of the football rights bid up, along with the networks’ costs.

There is going to be a fine line between winning the broadcast rights to AFL or NRL matches on terms that makes sense for the network and paying too much, although Goldman did note the collapse in Seven’s ratings when it lost the rights in 2002. Since regaining a share of the rights Seven has emerged as the dominant network, with a disproportionate revenue share.

The sporting bodies will also face some tricky dilemmas as they try to get their own balances right in maximising revenues, audiences and attending fans by optimising the mix and scheduling of free-to-air and pay TV broadcasts of their games.

Next year won’t quite be a brave new world for the networks, pay TV and sports administrators, but it should be somewhat more interesting and challenging than it has been under the expiring regime.

Perth Red

Post Whore
use it or lose it. Haven't we heard that somewhere before??

If Fox could bid for 7 out of the (potential) 9 games a week would they? It would cost them alot but would mean a massive take up in subscriptions I reckon.

russ13

First Grade
...although Goldman did note the collapse in Seven’s ratings when it lost the rights in 2002. Since regaining a share of the rights Seven has emerged as the dominant network, with a disproportionate revenue share...

Is this true?

Surely the emergence of such programs a Better Homes & Gardens would have had a bigger influence for the Australia -wide audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts