What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If Gallop is fair dinkum and I don't think he is he would come out, as the AFL have done, and say exactly what he wants from the TV deal.

A healthy dose of cynicism tells me we will be done over, nothing will change, sure we will get a little extra but the winners will be News as has happened each time since News took control in 1998.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It sets an expectation but they must be pretty confident they will get it or they will look very silly. Maybe plating seeds before negotiations bares more fruit?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The AFL will get pretty close.

However I was referring to what and where Gallop wants to position the game, basically what's the plan.

WTF IS THIS IDIOT'S PROBLEM!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?

HEEEEELLLLOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

More people watched RL than AFL!!!!! GALLOP, YOU MORON, YOU'RE ARGUING AGAINST THE FACTS AS WELL AS YOUR OWN PRODUCT!!

That is correct I do not understand wanting to worry about other places when we have the east coast (most of the population) under control already. f**k capital cities. What is the point of sprouting about capital cities and making them relevant when in the other capital cities we put the game son FTA at some stupid time in the middle of the night anyway.

El Diablo

Post Whore
good example

QANTAS told them to piss off after they started barking orders about not carrying players from any other sport

docbrown

Coach
You know what thing I keep forgetting in all this:

http://www.mediaspy.org/report/2010...and-ten-set-to-pounce-on-regional-affiliates#

Prime and Southern Cross may be targeted by their capital city affiliates if the ALP is returned to government on August 21st. The potential sale of the companies would be prompted by the removal of the 75 per cent audience reach rule, which restricts free-to-air television companies from owning stations that reach more than 75 per cent of the population.
I can't recall if Conroy has finalised this yet - but it's a very good reason why 7 & 10 would want the number 1 sporting product in Prime & Southern Cross' biggest markets and totally destroys that whole bullsh*t "regionals don't count" argument.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is correct I do not understand wanting to worry about other places when we have the east coast (most of the population) under control already. f**k capital cities. What is the point of sprouting about capital cities and making them relevant when in the other capital cities we put the game son FTA at some stupid time in the middle of the night anyway.

becasue capital cities matter. You may not like it but that is the way it is. There is a reason NRL is not shown at a decent time in Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide, and it has very little to do with TV viewing figures.

adamkungl

Immortal

And people wonder why Rugby League never grows...

Noa

First Grade
Of course the #1 reason we'd all be happy to see 10 becopme the main rights holder wuold be to see the red-headed tard on 10 get the flick, or at least sent back to read the Warrnambol news

bobmar28

Bench
OK, take this with a grain of salt because it came from a Melbournian channel 9 employee and not someone from 10, but I heard over the weekend that 10 are scaling back their commitment to AFL to just a single game on Saturday night, so that they can make a serious run at the NRL rights.

They want to make One HD the number 1 sport broadcaster in the country by running 2 Friday night games, 2 Sunday afternoon games, and the number 2 slot AFL game on the Saturday night.

The NRL will become their tent-pole property

I hope that is right. Good on them, take Fox sports head on. I've always thought they would be in the bidding.

cleary89

Coach
And all the people who didnt have digital would Make sure they got it, hence gwtting more viewers in the long run too.

applesauce

Bench
I hope that is right. Good on them, take Fox sports head on. I've always thought they would be in the bidding.

Considering Packer owns FS and most of Ten I doubt there will be any competing for the same slots. Ten will go against Nine and/or Seven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts