What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythekid

First Grade
We get very similar ratings to the AFL and on top of that we have some extra massive rating matches like SOO (almost guarantees 3 week wins which is pretty huge).

Our deal should be as high as the AFL's, any less and the person who is doing the negotiating must be a complete mong.

Edit: Also im sick of hearing about how the IC will be in before the start of the season. Weren't we hearing that last year? Don't bother saying when you think it will be done until you have some idea. It looks very amatuer to continue delaying the dates like this.

Last edited:

DR.ZOIDBERG

Juniors
I am happy wit hhaving 2 games of NRL on FTA Friday night and the 1 on the Sunday. But I hope who ever gets the rights to the FTA games shows the Sunday arvo game LIVE!!!! Damn you chan 9, for years you have pissed me off with this.

The rest, Super Saturday, Sunday and Monday, Keep on FOX :)

With the Expansion looking to happen, I would say then would need more games on Sunday, So 1 more game for Fox. Hey you pay for what you get, Fox may cost you money but you dont get adds etc where FTA is Free but you get stuff around

Perth Red

Post Whore
2 Friday 1 Sat 2 Sunday FTA
Sat 3 and Mon 1 on Fox would be good imo

although I do agree I prefer Fox with no ads even if it costs.

Doug2234

First Grade
Im hoping for a slight tweek of the current setup.

Would rather see FTA and Fox both have Fri night games live at 7:30pm.
In return FTA gets a Sat night game at 7:30pm..

Also would rather anyone but Ch9 get the FTA coverage.

DR.ZOIDBERG

Juniors
I like my Super Saturday on FOX so I dont want that taken away.

Seeing how there will be more then likely 1 more game due to 2 new teams in 2013, I would say Sunday Night game. Seems to work when they have done it in the past.

2 Friday Night FTA
3 Saturday Night FOX
1 Sunday Fox
1 Sunday Arvo FTA (LIVE!!!)
1 Sunday Night Fox / FTA ( I would prefer FOX to get this)
1 Monday Night FOX

Thats my line up :)

Quidgybo

Bench
Yep, it's all our fault. It's all our fault Gallop was directly quoted saying one thing a day ago and something completely opposite now.

While I realise no one here wishes to do so, to be fair to Gallop he hasn't been quoted directly quoted saying contradictory things. Here's every *direct* quote I could find printed by Fairfax and News Ltd from Gallop in the last three days...

David Gallop said:
''I think it's still going to take a bit longer,''

''I don't think there is a fixed timeline.

''I think we are in a good position where we have the new building on the way and when that's ready in 12 months' time it will coincide with the end of the transition to the commission. So that's been a good piece of timing and I think it's going to be great for the game.''

Note he is talking about the end of the transition, not the beginning. This is what the 12 month headline was based on. But in the same article he goes on to say...

David Gallop said:
''There's no fixed timeline for the independent commission. But there are various people working on it at the moment. Obviously, identifying the eight commissioners is imperative and I can tell you that process has just started. At some point in the next few months it will start to get up and running.''

Note he says it will start to get up and running in the next few months (ie. possibly March or April). This is all in the original report.

David Gallop said:
''It was naive to think it would happen really quickly,'' he said.

''One of the best things to come out of it will be a greater connection between the professional end of the game and the grassroots, but merging those entities is a very complicated exercise. And I think it was naive to think that would be done in the space of weeks or months.''

Again in the original report where he is quiet clearly talking about the logistics of merging two companies, not how long it will take to get the eight Commissioners in place. Then the next day after all the hullaballoo...

David Gallop said:
''Firstly, the commission will start in the next few months.

Reaffirming what he said in the first report.

David Gallop said:
''The effect of the commission won't be instantaneous and my simple point was when we move into the new building [Rugby League Central at Moore Park], the full transition should have taken place and that doesn't mean there is any suggestion of a delay, simply it's the start of a process, not the end.''

Again reaffirming what he said in the first report. Handover to begin in the next few months and the full transition (ie. merging of NRL and ARL operations and moving into new HQ) not complete for up to 12 months.

And now the television rights....

David Gallop said:
''My ideal outcome is pretty simple - it's big dollars and a level of exposure and promotion that the game deserves. I've been talking to the TV networks for over a year now, staying in touch and reminding them of our position and the progression of the commission.

Note he doesn't say formally negotiating, just keeping in touch. That was in the original report. He went on to say...

David Gallop said:
''Maximising the dollar is obviously critical but we have to be conscious of how the game is exposed and we want it to be exposed in the best possible way. All indications are that we will do really well and that's exciting for the game.''

David Gallop said:
''It's hard to put a number on it but I'm really confident that we'll do really well,''

David Gallop said:
''[The rights] expire at the end of 2012 but I would have thought by the middle of this year we'll be a long way down the track,''

Again doesn't say formally negotiating. But having foreshadowed the Commission will start taking over in the next few months and having kept in contact with the networks, they should be able to get a long way by mid year. And while waiting for the Commission to get up and running...

David Gallop said:
''It's been important that things haven't ground to a halt waiting for it either,'' he said. ''My job has been to keep everything ticking along and then it'll be ready when it happens.

This is all in the original report. Keeping things moving, preparing for the Commission to come along and negotiate the deal. And then the next day...

David Gallop said:
''No negotiations have commenced and they won't commence until the commission is in place but naturally we've been keeping the networks up to date with where things are at.''

David Gallop said:
"The TV deal won't be done until the commission is in place.

Again, not formally negotiating, just keeping in touch. And then today...

David Gallop said:
"Everyone, including News Ltd, want to see the television rights negotiated after News Ltd exit their 50 per cent ownership in the game,"

"It is only those that chose not to call me for clarification who have suggested otherwise.

"There's not going to be a television negotiation until (the commission) happens so that's a nonsense."

Again not negotiating. Clear statement that the Commission will do the deal.

David Gallop said:
"The fact is the networks recognise the ratings that rugby league secures and they've all expressed interests in our rights,"

David Gallop said:
''Years ago there was a view that there was one or two big games every weekend and the rest were pretty much the also-rans, but now our competition is at a point where there are no easy games and every team is a contender.''

David Gallop said:
''There's a possibility it could all be on the one network,''

''Digital television has opened a lot of doors and apparently Channel 10 is starting a rugby league program as well.

''But the good thing is, there are a lot of possibilities.''

David Gallop said:
''The NRL people are the most buoyant I've seen them at the end of a season about what's coming up,''

David Gallop said:
''The wish is that it will allow the game to articulate its strengths and then leverage what we all know is great about it, but I think from time to time the game hasn't been very good at demonstrating.

David Gallop said:
''It's going to be great to have eight well-credentialled, experienced people from different aspects of business to help guide rugby league.

David Gallop said:
''My aspiration for it is, you take an idea to them and they say, 'Yeah, that's good but have you thought of this because I come from this industry and we did this …'

David Gallop said:
''So you can pull down experience from across the community and finetune what you've been working on. And they sign off on what the game's position on something is going to be.

David Gallop said:
''But at the same time I think we need to be careful not to expect that they are going to have the answers to everything. There's a renewed confidence in the fact that we are going to have a more efficient, co-ordinated organisational structure and that's going to rub off on sponsors and broadcasters.''

That is every direct quote I could find attributed to Gallop in the article that broke this storm and articles since. I'm sorry but I just don't see the contradictions in these statements.

He's been very clear that the Commission will start taking over in the next few months and that it'll take around a year to complete the process of merging the operations of the present NRL and ARL. And he's been very clear from day one that he's been talking to the TV networks, keeping things ticking along and preparing the way but that no formal negotiations have begun. They won't until the commission starts running things in the next few months but thereafter they should move quickly.

Look, I know a lot of people around here have problems with Gallop. I get that. But let's hang the guy when he genuinely says or does something stupid. Not because we've turned into a frenzied mob based on a misleading headline and a few dodgy interpretations from reporters and opinion columnists.

Leigh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
beauty of Perth will be a 6-7pm kick off meaning a 8-9pm live game which would work well for a Sat or Sun night (at least every other week until Adelaide join in!)

Doug2234

First Grade
CC dont want a relocation.. They want there own team.

a team like.. o i dunno.. the North Sydney Bears..

meltiger

First Grade
i think that's stupid

i doubt the AFL are making friends by conducting themselves that way

Have I missed something here? What have the afl done?

They are not trying to get some form of agreement for their carrier to not bid on our rights are they?

Last edited:

Doug2234

First Grade
Im assuming that AFL have gone public with a set of demands they want in their new TV rights agreement...

meltiger

First Grade
Yeah that's what I mean, is el-d referring to a specific article around or something posted in here etc

taipan

Referee
Of course the #1 reason we'd all be happy to see 10 becopme the main rights holder wuold be to see the red-headed tard on 10 get the flick, or at least sent back to read the Warrnambol news

There is something about that merk,that suggests 5 year old kids used to kick sand in his face when he was a teenager.
He froths with excitement whan an AFL story appears,and that is not above the belt.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Have I missed something here? What have the afl done?

They are not trying to get some form of agreement for their carrier to not bid on our rights are they?

i'm talking about them going to the media saying they will get $1 billion like it's a done deal

they've been doing it for a while

meltiger

First Grade
WTF?

They tried to stop QANTAS from carrying teams from other codes. QANTAS told them to get f**ked.

My confusion EA lied in el-ds comment around Qantas following the arrogance comment

Reading his response now I read too much into what he was saying. I thought he was tying that to some kind of demand they were making with their rights.

El-D whilst it may be arrogant, we should be hoping they get as much as possible - on the assumption RL gains a competitive deal, Which if it's the IC negotiating do have faith in ... the higher theirs and in turn ours goes, we obviously have much greater scope for increased funding EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Crossed lines I think.

The arrogance shown with QANTAS is standard with the AFL.

and then they had their media mates look like it was them who dumped QANTAS when it was the other way around

eg AFL dumps Qantas as safety fears force engine swap on global A380 fleet

fiction

UPDATE 5.10pm: THE bad news just keeps coming for Qantas, now the AFL has dumped the airline as its official carrier.

fact

"It's been a good partnership, but the AFL had issues with our arrangements with the other codes.

"We have a proud history of supporting all sports in Australia, including all codes of football and that's not going to change.

"We will not enter into exclusive arrangements with any sporting body.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts