What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
One possible outcome is 10 buy NRL to really move ONE HD to the next viewing level as a 24 hr sports channel, they have just launched One website as well so could go for internet rights, Fox get the rest. SOO and Tests go with 9. This would probably give us the biggest possible deal I feel and the best advantages in terms of national FTA HD coverage, especially if 10 drop AFL to do it. Packer has his fingers in both 10 and Foxsports so they won;t be trying to outbid each other but may collude to share the rights under his guidance.

I wonder how much influence the Packer Posse has on 10 at the moment. All the insider talk was about how he wanted to chop the news coverage and it's already past its start up budget.

Clearly whoever's running 10 atm has a mind to spend some money in order to increase their demographic. If the rumour of dropping the weak Saturday afternoon AFL is true, you can suspect that it's to free up money to buy other properties to broaden their base - like NRL.

Cletus

First Grade
I wonder how much influence the Packer Posse has on 10 at the moment. All the insider talk was about how he wanted to chop the news coverage and it's already past its start up budget.

Clearly whoever's running 10 atm has a mind to spend some money in order to increase their demographic. If the rumour of dropping the weak Saturday afternoon AFL is true, you can suspect that it's to free up money to buy other properties to broaden their base - like NRL.

Packer and Murdoch would have plenty of influence at ten. Reinhart will probably go along with what they want because she nows buggerall about television and the dude who owns WIN will probably do a deal with them. Forget the extended news, I can't believe how believe how weak the programming on Eleven is. They'd be mad to drop One so if they have any sense they'll try to strengthen the programming during the football season.

It would make sense for a FTA game on saturday night, one of the 7.30 games is shown on delay which isn't ideal for Fox, but I don't think Fox would want a game on FTA competing with their own. If Ten could show AFL down south on the main channel on sat night, and Rugby League up North on the same and show the other code on One they'd be laughing.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It would make sense for a FTA game on saturday night, one of the 7.30 games is shown on delay which isn't ideal for Fox, but I don't think Fox would want a game on FTA competing with their own. If Ten could show AFL down south on the main channel on sat night, and Rugby League up North on the same and show the other code on One they'd be laughing.
This. Ten has a resource in One that none of it's rivals do, they'd be mad not to go hard for the rights. It would really put One HD on the map.

Quidgybo

Bench
This. Ten has a resource in One that none of it's rivals do, they'd be mad not to go hard for the rights. It would really put One HD on the map.
And equally, without significant local content, One HD is nothing more than C7 mark II.

Leigh

docbrown

Coach
Forget the extended news, I can't believe how believe how weak the programming on Eleven is.

You look at the other network's digital channels, you see that they're trying to increase their base and steal viewers from the other networks (like 9 with the younger skewed Go!).

10 already has a very young demo - so what do they do? Create a Youth Channel with the over-run content and distribution deals they already have. An older skewed News format won't bring in older viewers if the rest of the primetime programming remains the same.

If Saturday is live on F2A, then I don't think Fox should have a game up against it. At the moment Fox actually requested the Saturday night choice arrangement but they can still get 3 live slots to work if they cut the fat i.e. 5:00-6:45, 6:45-8:30, 8:30-10:15pm or 4:30-6:15, 6:15-8:00, 8:00-10:00pm then a wrap up show.

docbrown

Coach
And equally, without significant local content, One HD is nothing more than C7 mark II.

Leigh

I think I said before that the AFL 2nd tier knockout comp would only last a season on Fox - but it would be a good fit for One.

Again - another reason why the NRL & IC need to not only only look at the top tier rights but also every other property they have at all levels.

andrew057

First Grade

Im probably wrong, but I couldve swore the rumours were his intention to cut OneHD as it was bleeding money and have a dedicated 24/7 News channel.

applesauce

Bench
Im probably wrong, but I couldve swore the rumours were his intention to cut OneHD as it was bleeding money and have a dedicated 24/7 News channel.

Yeah that seems to be the rumours.

But if that's the plan the ACCC could step in.

Because Murdoch owns SKY NEWS and that would be the plan (to bring it over) in addition to the fact they would shut down a FTA competitor to the Packer owned FOXSPORTS, it would seem to smell a little too fishy for the ACCC not to investivate/prevent.

For the sports loving Australians out there and to a lesser extent the NRL TV deal, lets hope it doesn't happen.

Going off docbrown's point. If Ten were trying to increase their older demographic with News they would be up against ABC24 (the honeypot for news loving oldies...). So effectively Ten would only be copying channels that are better than theirs - or already in existence - rather than having a whole market to themselves.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Going off docbrown's point. If Ten were trying to increase their older demographic with News they would be up against ABC24 (the honeypot for news loving oldies...). So effectively Ten would only be copying channels that are better than theirs - or already in existence - rather than having a whole market to themselves.

That's pretty much what they're doing. They seem to shooting madly in the air and hoping something hits. A lead in is only as good as its follow on.

As for oneHD & the news broadcasts, again it makes me wonder how much control Packer has - because they'd already be gone.

smithie

Juniors
The shows they really want

TV Tonight recently put a question to 5 Free to Air Programmers, asking them to nominate a programme from another network they would like to see on their own.

Some had trouble narrowing it down to just one show. But here are their answers.

Brendan Dahill, ABC1 Channel Controller: Talkin’ ‘Bout Your Generation (TEN).
“Because it’s a great show that appeals across the generations, it has a really entertaining vibe about it, and it reinvents itself every week, brilliantly. Shaun Micallef is a fantastic talent.”

Jane Roscoe, SBS Network Programmer: Hung (Seven / Showcase).
Also nominated The Inbetweeners (GO!) and Misfits (ABC2) and from overseas The Amazing Race Asia, Wife Swap India.

David Mott, TEN Chief Programming Officer: Packed to the Rafters (Seven).
Also nominated Top Gear (Nine).

Tim Worner, Seven Director of Programming & Production: NRL (Nine).
“I just think there’s so much that Seven could do with that sport.”

Michael Healy, Nine Director of Television: MasterChef Australia (TEN).
“Or Hawaii Five-0. And I wouldn’t mind Rafters.”

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/02/the-shows-they-really-want.html

Some of the comments are interesting.

And hell no Seven wanting NRL. As much as i hate Nine, and their failure to show NRL in Adelaide at a decent time, Seven should not be allowed sport Ever. AFL, tennis, motor racing, rugby union, Olympics, they suck at all of them, get the same complaints each year but nothing changes. Wish all these sports were given to Ten/ONE

Tim Worner – Epic Fail.
“I just think there’s so much that Seven could do with that sport.” – like what you’ve done with the AFL right? No HD. No live games. 1980′s graphics. Cancelling complimentary programs to support the game after 2 shows.
How about Seven actually does something with what they’ve got first.

Hmm – lets see what Seven could do with the NRL:
* not show it
* show it at 3am in the morning
* delay live broadcasts so they end 20 mins late
* cut out the club songs
* insert ads in wierd places
* onsell all the rights to Fox Sports
* advertise Packed To The Rafters all the way through it
He is right! There is A LOT they could do with it…. *sarcasm*

NRL on Seven? Yes – because we all want to watch Better Homes and Gardens before Firday night football! Not.

I couldn’t handle rugby league on 7. They already ruined the V8 Supercars for me.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
That's pretty much what they're doing. They seem to shooting madly in the air and hoping something hits. A lead in is only as good as its follow on.

As for oneHD & the news broadcasts, again it makes me wonder how much control Packer has - because they'd already be gone.

He could be waiting to see where the TV rights for both the NRL & AFL fall. If they get a decent chunk of either/both then they will have the content and the product to sell. If they miss out ONEHD could get the ass with SKY NEWS taking their place.

Ashman

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...re-milliondollar-tv-horse-20110203-1afir.html

Club chiefs are putting commission cart before million-dollar TV horse

Roy Masters

February 4, 2011

Paranoia over News Ltd's possible involvement in NRL television rights negotiations would cost the code millions of dollars, warned one network chief, following demands by club bosses that an independent commission be formalised before talks on a new broadcasting contract commence.

An AFL deal is likely to be signed within the next two months, with the existing broadcasters retaining their rights, meaning the league's rival code threatens to empty the coffers of Channels Seven, Ten and Foxtel, leaving it with only one or two TV suitors after it finally chooses its eight commissioners.

The News Ltd-managed Foxtel and Fox Sports will bid for both AFL and NRL but because News Ltd is a half-owner of the NRL, club bosses want the media conglomerate out of the code and a commission installed before broadcasting negotiations begin. Yet this is classic cart-before-the-horse thinking, according to one network heavy.

''Without the TV dollars, rugby league's new commission is stuffed, anyway,'' he said. ''The AFL is trying to scoop up all the money to finance their push into Sydney and the Gold Coast. If the NRL don't move soon and strike a deal, there'll be nothing left.''

Yet this same haste led rugby league to do a $500-million, six-year deal with Channel Nine and Fox Sports in 2005, leaving the code embarrassed when, six months later, Nine owner Kerry Packer found $780m over five years for AFL.

As it transpired, Seven/Ten exercised their option to equal the offer and won the rights and are now expected to retain them.
However, negotiations continue over the final price to be paid, with AFL chief Andrew Demetriou pushing for a $1 billion deal, while network bosses expect the figure to be in the $800m-$900m range.

''The AFL's problem is that Melbourne is its only major market, with Adelaide and Perth minor markets,'' one industry source said. ''The great thing for the NRL is they have Sydney and Brisbane.''

If the networks can entice NRL into the bidding, it will establish competitive tension with AFL and lower expectations. But Demetriou knows he has the market to himself while the NRL, whose deal expires in 2012 - a year after the conclusion of the AFL contract - continues to insist an commission must be operational before negotiations on a new broadcasting contract begin.

News Ltd, anxious to rid itself of accusations of conflict of interest, supports this stance. But experienced negotiator Ian Frykberg is acting for Foxtel, which wants better quality games to drive subscriptions in the southern and western states.

If Foxtel empty their coffers for AFL, News Ltd's march to the high moral ground will cost rugby league anyway. Although NRL outrates AFL on pay TV, it would be ironic if, yet again, the southern code receives more than rugby league from the News Ltd-controlled Fox entities.

Ten is contractually bound to bid with Seven for AFL and has partly resolved its share of costs after the Ten board complained it was paying too much for games which did not rate in Sydney and Brisbane.

The federal government recently changed the anti-siphoning laws, preserving only two games for free-to-air TV, meaning Foxtel can bid for higher-quality fixtures than it was allocated in the past.

The government also relaxed laws allowing a free-to-air network's digital channels to show AFL and NRL. This means a network like Seven can bid for both codes, providing the price is right.

''Seven can mix and match AFL and NRL on Friday nights, showing both codes in the relevant markets on its main channels, with AFL in the north and NRL in the south on its digital channels,'' one industry observer said. ''It could be back to days when Rex Mossop did rugby league and Melbourne's Ron Casey hosted AFL, both on Seven.''

One potential commissioner said NRL concern over News Ltd conflict of interest and the AFL dominating the TV dollars could be resolved if David Gallop went to the networks now, with a tender box and offers scrutinised by a top accounting firm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
1. should have had the IC in place last November
2. shoud get a 4 year deal to bring us in line with AFL
3. Frick Fox if they won't pay up, lets see them survive without NRL.

applesauce

Bench
If FOX don't pay what we are worth I hope the NRL shaft them and put it on FTA for cheaper. More exposure and advertising for the game if we can't get the true value out of FOX.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't understand this, what grounds do they have for a legal fight once the contract has run out?

Telstra's BigPond deal also finishes at the end of next year but it has no final bidding power for new media rights

And Telstra, given the national broadband roll-out, won't give up its BigPond rights without a legal fight.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
More interesting to me is how the SkyNZ deal goes. Im not expecting much of an increase to be honest. But I think this deal could be a great indication as to how expansion would go next round in NZ. This could also be a very vague indicator to the increase we could get from here.

I wonder how those talks are going. Is the IC going to be doing those? I doubt it would be.

Noa

First Grade
Some very intersting tidbits in the Masters article.....cmon Lachlan and Jamie, you us owe us.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I find that Roy Masters articles always seems to be very self contradictory... Its like he continually wants to have a bet each way...

For example, he seems to be saying that if the AFL sign first then they will leave the NRL with only Channel 9 on FTA, but then he goes on to talk about scenarios involving Channel 7 and 10 showing both AFL and NRL?

He also says that the NRL signed up first before the AFL the last time and got shafted anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts