What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

juro

Bench
From the Roy Masters article:

Yet this is classic cart-before-the-horse thinking, according to one network heavy.

''Without the TV dollars, rugby league's new commission is stuffed, anyway,'' he said. ''The AFL is trying to scoop up all the money to finance their push into Sydney and the Gold Coast. If the NRL don't move soon and strike a deal, there'll be nothing left.''
How does this make any sense?

The networks know that the NRL contract is coming around the corner. Sure, the NRL could lose because the networks spend all their money on AFL. But the AFL could lose because the networks are holding money back to spend on NRL. The networks are competing against each other just as much as the sports are competing against each other!

And who gives a toss what the AFL want to blow their money on. It is totally irrelevant to the discussion of how much each sport will get!

BuffaloRules

Coach
The AFL deal is going to be done first this time in any event...

I would prefer the NRL and IC take their time to thoroughly explore all options...

There is no way that Foxtel will blow all their money on AFL and have nothing left to spend on NRL...

They are farked without NRL, and I and (suspect many others) would be cancelling my subscription the day they lose the NRL rights...

Edwahu

Bench
The AFL deal is going to be done first this time in any event...

I would prefer the NRL and IC take their time to thoroughly explore all options...

There is no way that Foxtel will blow all their money on AFL and have nothing left to spend on NRL...

They are farked without NRL, and I and (suspect many others) would be cancelling my subscription the day they lose the NRL rights...

Lose the NRL rights to who? Gallop is on record saying the AFL deserves more for pay tv and he will happily take less. Foxtel will obviously put in a lowball offer whilever Gallop is around.

juro

Bench
So is it any wonder the networks are coming out with statements trying to scare the NRL into negotiating sooner rather than later? They would much rather negotiate with Gallop than someone who will drive a harder bargain...

legend

Coach
Kerry Stokes is the key to all these negotiations because he is the only one who can make everyone pay true market value for the bradcasting rights as he has no finger in the Fox Sports, Ten or Nine pies whereas Pakcer and Murdoch do and it's in their best interests to pay bottom dollar for a top rating sport.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Lose the NRL rights to who? Gallop is on record saying the AFL deserves more for pay tv and he will happily take less. Foxtel will obviously put in a lowball offer whilever Gallop is around.

Well according to Masters article, the NRL is at risk of Foxtel spending all their money on AFL...

An AFL deal is likely to be signed within the next two months, with the existing broadcasters retaining their rights, meaning the league's rival code threatens to empty the coffers of Channels Seven, Ten and Foxtel, leaving it with only one or two TV suitors after it finally chooses its eight commissioners.

If they are going to give it away for nothing, they may as well give it to the ABC...

legend

Coach
How can the AFL knock back any deal from Fox Sports as there are no other pay tv players in the market? I'd love to see Fox blow their load on the AFL and Seven pick up the rights to ALL Rugby League matches and show them on FTA.

It means I could flick Foxtel like millions of others and send the greedy bastards broke.

Edwahu

Bench
If they don't want to sell to Foxtel, then the NRL could sell all games to FTA, or they could sell some games exclusive to Bigpond or one of the online providers. I doubt they would even think about it though.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I've heard that all this speculation about the speculation regarding the new tv deal is just speculation

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Well according to Masters article, the NRL is at risk of Foxtel spending all their money on AFL...

Pretty massive risk right here. Without the NRL fox is f*cked. They would lose hundreds of thousands of subscribers over night if they lost the rights to the NRL.

Maybe it's about time the NRL reminded them of this?

The networks know that the NRL contract is coming around the corner. Sure, the NRL could lose because the networks spend all their money on AFL. But the AFL could lose because the networks are holding money back to spend on NRL. The networks are competing against each other just as much as the sports are competing against each other!

I just don't believe that between ten, nine, seven and fox that there isn't enough money to go around between both codes. If i had to guess i think it's some of the less major sports who should be watching out (especially the likes of union).

At the very least i can guarantee that every station will want a part of the bid for SOO. It's massive and can pretty much guarantee 3 weekly wins for whichever station picks it up.

nrlnrl

First Grade
maybe it's about time people started realising there will be conflicting "reports" from different media outlets eg - do you think Roy Masters will write positively about Foxtel or cast doubt over their future ?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Roy has lost it with todays articles

not only do they contradict each other but they also contradict others he has done in the past

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the national Broadband actually happens and delivers then what's to stop the NRL starting its own online subscription channel? I know i'd rathe rpay the NRl $50 a month than Fox.

Regardless of when deals get signed all stations know both are up for grabs and will have decided some time ago which of the two codes they want and who they want to share it with. I am sure the TV execs aren't sitting there waiting for the IC before they start discussing what they will bid for. They know either code will cost between $8-900 mill to get full rights.

docbrown

Coach
It's not like the networks are going to go "oh so AFL's the only sport up for auction at this very second, let's give them a few million more than we have to".

Remember there's still a litany of other sports that come after ours as well.

Kerry Stokes is the key to all these negotiations

You're 100% right about Kerry Stokes. He's been planning for this round ever since the C7 court case ended.

He has a 200,000,000 reasons why he would want rugby league rights - and also - make 9 & News pay as much as possible for them.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Roy has lost it with todays articles

not only do they contradict each other but they also contradict others he has done in the past
Much as I love and respect the guy for what he has done for the code (god knows whether we would be getting an IC without him), senility really kicked in about 18 months ago.

Nonsensical, contradictory, clearly not fact-checked. It seems like he doesn't even have an editor these days, and they just publish whatever he emails in.

Its a shame, at this momentous time we could really use someone like Roy-in-his-prime to balance out f**king Rothfield

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
SOUTH SYDNEY chief executive Shane Richardson believes it is crucial in the coming television rights negotiations that rugby league seizes control of match scheduling, saying the current practice in which Channel Nine picks who plays when during the season has an adverse effect on promoting the game.

Richardson said one clear message he has received from Rabbitohs members is they want a draw at the start of the season. He added not only did the current system make it hard for clubs to sell tickets, corporate boxes and even plan match-day promotions, there was also a sense of professional embarrassment by not being able to tell sponsors when his team would be playing.

''The most requested thing we get from members is that they want to have a season draw at the start of the year,'' Richardson said. ''You want to tell people at the beginning of the year when you're going to play matches so they can organise their holidays, weddings or weekends around games.

''Corporates also find it very hard to commit to taking a [hospitality] box when they don't know whether the team is playing on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. They want to know when Souths play St George Illawarra later in the season and all you can do is look at them and say, 'I don't know'. It is very difficult, and I can't think of any other sport in the world, English Premier League, NFL or the NBA, where the television tells teams when they're going to play. The Waratahs have a season draw.''

Richardson said the AFL draw gave that code a major advantage over rugby league. ''It is the one thing the AFL have over us. They concentrate on building crowds and building an atmosphere, they don't concentrate on positioning television cameras.

''We have to give clubs an opportunity to promote their games. If we knew we had a Monday night game, we can organise a promotion around it, we can work with the RTA and those who run public transport to ensure people have an opportunity to get to the game.

''They talk about Monday night football in America, but people know all year when their team will play. We wait with baited breath here to find out when we are scheduled one, the Americans turn it into an event … we don't get that opportunity.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r-set-schedule-says-richo-20110205-1ahkw.html

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
IF NRL chief executive David Gallop negotiates the new television rights he'll be under a scrutiny no one in his position has endured. League has never been a cheap entertainment, the costs are high and the hits hard, but the stakes have never been as high for the code - or even its chief executive.

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne articulated the level of expectation on Gallop to deliver on the deal that will start in 2013 when he spoke of the $500 million the game gained last time. Osborne, like many others, said the figure didn't represent the true worth of the sport as a ratings puller and revenue stream for television stations.

''The television rights are the most important thing in the game's forseeable future,'' Osborne said. ''We have a great product, but we didn't get what it was worth as a television sports program.''

The pressure has arisen because Michael Searle, the Gold Coast chief executive who formed the independent commission's blueprint, said the expected windfall from the rights would underpin the code's future.

His comments came as expansion is back on the agenda, rival codes crave the likes of Jarryd Hayne and Benji Marshall, and the league must generate its own funds to survive.

''The television rights create stability in our model for sustainable clubs,'' Searle said. ''That's where the rights are really important, they provide a guarantee the clubs will be stable. Everything hangs off the television deal, and they're going to become a bigger part of professional sport here over the next 20-years, just like the US.

''I think the restructuring [of the hierarchy] provides a better environment for the rights, in my opinion. [But the television rights] underpins the future of the game. It underpins the benefits we can provide the players. It's an important aspect.''

The demand for more cash for content started two years ago when Sun-Herald columnist Phil Gould and South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe voiced their concerns. Their argument gained momentum when the ratings showed league out-performed the AFL, even though that code exacted $780m, or $280m more, than the NRL did from television executives. Their view was strengthened by the revelation in 2009 the National Youth Competition regularly out-rated rugby union's showpiece, the Super 14.

Searle said league did itself few favours by not selling itself as a brash, dynamic and vibrant sport because such an image not only grated on the Australian character but went against the league ethos.

''Unfortunately some of the core values we have as a sport hamstring our game,'' he said. ''The humility, and the need not to be seen as arrogant, sometimes stops our code from really promoting itself. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, the game should be confident in what it is and the content it provides television. We've got the greatest product. The AFL has a grand final, but we have a grand final and State of Origin I, II, II and Test football and an All Stars event.

''We cross international borders. No other code has the traction we've got over the other three.''

Plenty agree Gallop has a tough job, and Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said hard work had gone into ensuring rugby league scored well in the TV stakes. He noted Colin Smith of L.E.K. Consulting, who helped the AFL secure its last television deal, had been recruited. Richardson also said clubs had been kept in the loop.

''We've never been more prepared as clubs for the broadcast negotiations,'' Richardson said. ''To David Gallop's credit he's been very consolidative throughout. Colin Smith from L.E.K. is on board and he has the clubs' confidence. It's been open and by far the best process we've had.''

Richardson said one of the great frustrations of the independent commission was many people viewed it as the solution to all the code's ills. At a time his club is generating profit and breaking new ground for sponsorship deals, he described the broadcast rights as a slice - albeit delicious - of a very large pie.

''Everybody has to come to a standard of operation that makes the game successful, it's not just about television rights,'' he said. ''Two-and-a-half years ago there was a meeting of the clubs and we discussed all the things that we needed to change in the game and we came up with things like more local derbies to create crowds.

''The independent commission won't give all the solutions, but it does provide a streamlined business model, an axe head approach, and that is as important an outcome as the television contract. The contract is important, but under the commission we'll have better corporate governance, we're going to have less RLs, the clubs will have to think about the game and not just themselves.''

But rugby league expects, and even though negotiations will be done under the independent commission's banner, there is a feeling in club-land the buck will stop with Gallop.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-to-deliver-tv-gold-mine-20110205-1ahku.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts