What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
This is an outrageously good deal for the AFL and well done to their negotiation team. I guess what has happened to the AFL is an example of what happens when an organisation pull together in the same direction. Geez they even score their very own TV channel.

Wow.

Rugby League officials still can't get the independant management structure of the game nailed down without disputes. consessions and in fighting. This figure served to the AFL isn't just a reflection on a good product, but quality professional management.

There is no doubt our product is just as good, ratings suggest that perhaps it is even better than the AFL. Multiple networks are working on a position to bid for Rugby League and the various packages, however the management of the NRL and the game is viewed as complicated.

I guess we'll find out what our game is worth in the next 9-12 months.
This. Sadly. :(

Shit... We can't even get an Independent Commission together in the timeframe that was given....

Another thing is that the AFL can provide a far greater broadcast area than the NRL, just by the simple fact they have more clubs in more states. Shit game, but they seem to be getting right the things that matter - money and a plan. Disappointing because we have a far better end product than AFL.

Vim

Juniors
I've never met anyone who likes AFL and RL. The only people I've met that like AFL are those I've met while traveling outside NSW or likewise someone traveling from outside NSW.

There might be about 5 people lost to either code because they feel there is a petty war going on.

Born in Melbourne, lived in country NSW a while and jumped on Storm as soon as they came out. I like my AFL, I like both rugby codes. I am back in Melbourne now, go to Storm games, go to AFL games.

A lot of the guys I still keep in contact with back where I used to live don't mind AFL, not their sport of choice but for some it has grown on them over the years. Over the years went from no AFL presence to seeing a lot of kids playing the game. AFL invests a fortune to grass roots development.

The rhetoric needs to end, NRL needs to see what has worked well for the AFL and emulate it. There are a lot of people that love rugby, a lot that love afl and a lot that love both. I know a lot of guys that have interest in the Storm here but NRL couldn't have done a worse job with the Storm. This is a city of member clubs, they will be very resistant to a franchise club.

Some of the rare games involving the Storm that are played here are on at ridiculous times, one last year didn't start until 1am and they just cut it off at half time and didn't bother with the second half.

If they are not going to do expansion properly, better to save the money and not bother.

Perth Red

Post Whore
anybody find a link that shows Telstra's contribution to the AFL deal?

I hope Fox get all 9 games live with 4 of them simulcast with FTA, that would be a good outcome imo.

Edwahu

Bench
So really, they only just broke the billion if they actually did.

Yeah, the deal is good no doubt but not really ridiculous compared to what was expected. The online deal is good for the NRL if it takes off as well.

Worst part is the contra, 130 million will buy a lot of backpages.

Timbo

Staff member
1.25 Billion... wow.

I expected them to hit a billion but this is pretty out there. And the ancillary stuff that comes with it - FoxAFL (hangon - didn't there used to be FoxAFL?) the T-Box deal, the mobile rights, plus Fox simulcasting all games commercial free!

Our deal is a failure as far as I'm concerned if we don't get the following:

1 - 1 billion, minimum.
2 - A similar deal with all games simulcast on Fox live.
3 - 3 FTA games nationwide (would cop it being on ONE HD or GEM or MATE in the South)
4 - A substantially improved internet/mobile deal.

I'm pretty excited to be honest. The fact that Ten got nothing, with Seven having the AFL and Nine having the NRL, Rugby Union and Cricket means Ten will be absolutely desperate for some premium sport. Leckie said Seven will still make a play for NRL, but surely they're tapped out at this point. A bidding war between Nine and Ten should hopefully see us hit the magic billion, with all of the above boxes ticked.

If we don't completely f**k it up.

Edwahu

Bench
1.25 Billion... wow.

I expected them to hit a billion but this is pretty out there. And the ancillary stuff that comes with it - FoxAFL (hangon - didn't there used to be FoxAFL?) the T-Box deal, the mobile rights, plus Fox simulcasting all games commercial free!

Our deal is a failure as far as I'm concerned if we don't get the following:

1 - 1 billion, minimum.
2 - A similar deal with all games simulcast on Fox live.
3 - 3 FTA games nationwide (would cop it being on ONE HD or GEM or MATE in the South)
4 - A substantially improved internet/mobile deal.

I'm pretty excited to be honest. The fact that Ten got nothing, with Seven having the AFL and Nine having the NRL, Rugby Union and Cricket means Ten will be absolutely desperate for some premium sport. Leckie said Seven will still make a play for NRL, but surely they're tapped out at this point. A bidding war between Nine and Ten should hopefully see us hit the magic billion, with all of the above boxes ticked.

If we don't completely f**k it up.

We will match the AFL in every other area except Foxtel and we cant force Foxtel to take all games. IMO the most likely scenario is we will get 250 million from Foxtel and end up at about 800-900 million total. That would be a decent deal.

cleary89

Coach
I doubt we will get the fox simulcast. Would mean fox paying similar money to what they are paying AFL, but they are happy with their current subscriptions in NSW and QLD. What they are doing with AFL is trying to increase the subscriptions down there (and it should, if they did it here every man and his dog would take up fox if they didn't already).

Surely we should get similar internet rights, theres 150m (we currently get 10 don't we?). Similar Contra. 275m before we get a cent from a TV station. We should hit the Billion for broadcast rights, but we won't get a Billion cash for TV rights.

cleary89

Coach
We currently get 250m. I reckon we should get an increase, even if it is only to 300m. That would take us to the "One Billion dollar" figure the AFL is throwing around.

MsStorm

Bench
My post here was too important to be burried in this thread:

We must expand in important big markets to improve revenue - That means PERTH, ADELAIDE, BRISBANE, WELLINGTON/CHRISTCHURCH.

All talk of Central Queensland, Central Coast, PNG must stop.

:thumb

You are 100% right and I can't believe people overlooked your post.
Bad luck to the Bears and other bids if we want more money in the nrl coffers.

Some inside info from a very reliable source at Ch.9 today, they will never show nrl games into Melb, Perth and Adelaide before midnight unless the NRL significantly drops their asking price for the rights and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY!!

And even then....you can guess the rest.

docbrown

Coach
Sorry, saw it in this one

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-kicks-12bn-goal-20110428-1dz2g.html

Breakdown seems to be

Foxtel - 600 million
7 - 475 million
Telstra - 150 million

Cash is 1.12 billion, Contra for the other 130 million.

Now that was a long day.

The info I've received is -

Fox Cash - $534.5 million
7 Cash - $425 million
Total TV Cash - $959.5 million

Fox Contra - $85 million
7 Contra - $50 million
Total Contra - $135 million

Telstra - $155 million
Telstra Additional Support - $3.5 million

Cash Total - $1118 million
Deal Total - $1253 million

On the contra its interesting to note that the both Fox & 7 can include production costs of ancilliary AFL related programmes under the terms of the contract and also because the deal was signed with Seven West it can be redestributed through any their subsidiary organisations.

In all I think the AFL have actually done very well to secure their $960 million in TV cash and it's mainly come because of exploiting 7's fear. I guess though they can definitely pat themselves on the back. Shame this whole thing isn't over though as the onsell is inextricably linked to the NRL rights negotiations.

Also - I have it that there was a very amusing moment about Leckie refusing to shake one particular person's hand. ;-)

docbrown

Coach
Some inside info from a very reliable source at Ch.9 today, they will never show nrl games into Melb, Perth and Adelaide before midnight unless the NRL significantly drops their asking price for the rights and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY!!

Which station & department do they work in?

:thumb

You are 100% right and I can't believe people overlooked your post.
Bad luck to the Bears and other bids if we want more money in the nrl coffers.

And even then....you can guess the rest.

so how the f**k do the AFL's Swans/Lions/Suns/soon to be GWS get shown and decent times and still get outrageous amounts of money despite their shithouse ratings?

if they can do it we can do it too, no excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.