What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DC_fan

Coach
Apparently there are whispers about Ten getting games off foxtel, they want it badly because they've got no AFL. Channel 7 desperately wants State of Origin football and Channel 9 have got rid of other major sporting events like Wimbledon to bid for the NRL. We even have the Brisbane 2 NRL bid facebook page saying: Whispers are that 10 / oneHD will pay over the Billion dollar mark to get access. This means 9 will get to match it as last rights holder.

Why am i the only one excited about our next deal?

Because its 12 months away till the decision is to be made. Anything can and could happen before then that could increase or decrease the value of the contract.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
If anything, it means that given how Channel 7 has allowed Foxtel to show all the games live in simulcast, it has changed how Free to air views showing sport, realising that they can have there cake and eat it too. Just really about getting Foxtel to pay up, and now the NRL can let the networks decide how they are going to do this, who knows, it may be why Channel 7 went down this route, they now can have a go at the NRL as well, using a similar arrangement, and lock up both big winter sports in the country leaving the other 2 channels with nothing on a Friday night/Sunday afternoon.

Imagine the looks at 9 if that happened.

Heres my "bold" prediction (wish list really) in view of todays events

-NRL controls fixture until RD18
-1 additional game (Fox), slotted into sat aft (with inclusion of reds + 1 other)
-Storm and Reds go in live on secondary channels but adelaide and tassie are still deserts
- We wont get a dedicated channel
-10 and Fox bidding war over MNF, but Fox win
-7, 10 or a combination of both take it off 9

Coaster

Bench
You have made me feel a little better, still a lot to do regarding our administration before I lose all fear, but it is a start

Dogs Of War

Coach
Because its 12 months away till the decision is to be made. Anything can and could happen before then that could increase or decrease the value of the contract.

Hopefully some positive news on expansion, as I am sure they would have had enough preliminary discussions on what an extra game a round is worth to the code, and if they can announce that 2013/4 will see 2 new teams enter the comp, given that those locations add value to the TV networks/pay TV providers, and that a decent timeslot can be found for this extra game (No point just overlapping on an existing one again). Who knows, Thursday night football for the win!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It's an astounding figure - mostly because it is hard to see where the money will come from. Need to wait for the details to come out - it will be interesting to see what Fox and Seven have paid.

Too much panic in this thread - it is just sport.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It's an astounding figure - mostly because it is hard to see where the money will come from. Need to wait for the details to come out - it will be interesting to see what Fox and Seven have paid.

and too many seem to think something has to done ASAP

our rights for 2013 don't need to be finalised for 12 months

Vim

Juniors

I think the main gain was being able to split the components up and being able to share content. Previously they sold all the TV to one bidder and they on-sold to pay-tv so the broadcaster bidding had the risk associated with on-selling. The only on-sale rights there is with the current deal is 7 allowed to sell up to 2 of their 4 games to either 9 and or 10.

This is also the first major deal which incorporates digital FTA technology and has allowed the AFL to place the game live into development markets on a secondary digital channel, it used to cost the AFL a fortune getting games into NSW and QLD during prime timeslots on analogue channels because of how poorly they rated.

There will also be shared content via IPTV and Mobile devices so much more I would expect is coming from Telstra.

NRL has to distance itself from News Ltd. Storm needs to be a member owned club and every one of their games must go into Melbourne every week in prime time on a secondary digital channel. The exposure here is non-existent, most of the games that are shown here on FTA do not involve the Storm, it is not the way to penetrate the market. NRL doesn't have a good model for expansion at present.

NRL also has to stop the war on AFL, they are coming to NSW and QLD for viewers, they do not care about NRL. Some people like rugby, some like AFL, some like both. AFL are after those that do not like rugby, trying to turn the loving of sports into an us vs them battle wont win more viewers.

At the AFL Anzac day game they advertised to go to the Storm game after the Anzac day clash and gave pamphlets for a 20% discount at the game and Storm got a solid crowd to the game. This would never happen at NRL games for AFL games.

The best course of action is for both codes to co-exist in harmony, people who love both codes are leaning to AFL because the AFL seem less petty about the rivalry.

El Diablo

Post Whore
At the AFL Anzac day game they advertised to go to the Storm game after the Anzac day clash and gave pamphlets for a 20% discount at the game and Storm got a solid crowd to the game. This would never happen at NRL games for AFL games.

:lol:

when the RLWC was on the AFL ordered posters be taken down in Melbourne around certain venues

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I think the main gain was being able to split the components up and being able to share content. Previously they sold all the TV to one bidder and they on-sold to pay-tv so the broadcaster bidding had the risk associated with on-selling. The only on-sale rights there is with the current deal is 7 allowed to sell up to 2 of their 4 games to either 9 and or 10.

This is also the first major deal which incorporates digital FTA technology and has allowed the AFL to place the game live into development markets on a secondary digital channel, it used to cost the AFL a fortune getting games into NSW and QLD during prime timeslots on analogue channels because of how poorly they rated.

There will also be shared content via IPTV and Mobile devices so much more I would expect is coming from Telstra.

NRL has to distance itself from News Ltd. Storm needs to be a member owned club and every one of their games must go into Melbourne every week in prime time on a secondary digital channel. The exposure here is non-existent, most of the games that are shown here on FTA do not involve the Storm, it is not the way to penetrate the market. NRL doesn't have a good model for expansion at present.

NRL also has to stop the war on AFL, they are coming to NSW and QLD for viewers, they do not care about NRL. Some people like rugby, some like AFL, some like both. AFL are after those that do not like rugby, trying to turn the loving of sports into an us vs them battle wont win more viewers.

The best course of action is for both codes to co-exist in harmony, people who love both codes are leaning to AFL because the AFL seem less petty about the rivalry.

Spot on and welcome on board. Although i think the media here are the main cause of the "war" here, anyone who seriously thinks so needs a head exam.

The AFL deal is what it is, they have done well for themselves and raised the bar/set a precedent for the rest to follow. I think we will do quite well, but not a billion plus and the increase alone will put us head and shoulders ahead of union and soccer

BDGS

Bench
Spot on and welcome on board. Although i think the media here are the main cause of the "war" here, anyone who seriously thinks so needs a head exam.

The AFL deal is what it is, they have done well for themselves and raised the bar/set a precedent for the rest to follow. I think we will do quite well, but not a billion plus and the increase alone will put us head and shoulders ahead of union and soccer

we already are there.

dollyhands

Juniors

Half right but the NRL still have to hold their turf. Maybe for the first GWS AFL game next year the Nrl should let anyone with a ticket get in for free to a league game

chrisD

Coach
I've never met anyone who likes AFL and RL. The only people I've met that like AFL are those I've met while traveling outside NSW or likewise someone traveling from outside NSW.

There might be about 5 people lost to either code because they feel there is a petty war going on.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
we already are there.

Yes should have said farther ahead. Really i think the aleague are shafted when theirs are up. Who on FTA will take them? OneHD appears shafted as a sport only channel, 9, 7 won't. Relegated to a pay TV sport where its viewing figures hardly mandate an increase in value. The socceroos are there only wildcard and they are on the AS list now i beleive

Status
Not open for further replies.