What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The best course of action is for both codes to co-exist in harmony, people who love both codes are leaning to AFL because the AFL seem less petty about the rivalry.

That is actually the complete opposite of what seems to be occurring The AFL’s aggressive and obsessive behaviour towards other codes, particularly the NRL, seems to be turning off a lot of potential fans.

Last edited:

IanG

Coach
Gallop has to go imo

seems even the clubs are finally thinking that way too now

I'll second that. I think the game has gone backwards in the 10 years he's been in charge. Not to mention that he's been so good at grandstanding he should've been running for state parliment

BDGS

Bench
:lol:

when the RLWC was on the AFL ordered posters be taken down in Melbourne around certain venues

They also told the people who run a particular harmony day that they would pull their sponsorship unless the NRL was blocked from showing up.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/footy-war-hits-the-streets/story-e6frfgbo-1226022914438

"We were told that the AFL sees us as a conflict," Walker told The Daily Telegraph. "We were told if rugby league was there on Harmony Day, the AFL would take back their $10,000.

Yeah, its the NRL that is causing the sport war :roll:

BDGS

Bench
I'll second that. I think the game has gone backwards in the 10 years he's been in charge. Not to mention that he's been so good at grandstanding he should've been running for state parliment

We have gone backwards in the last 10 years?

That'll do me.

LESStar58

Referee
If Gallop sells us short again he needs to be given the chop; no exceptions. We need the IC set up with someone to negotiate the rights to their full value and while they are at it they need to bring more money in to the game.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
If Gallop sells us short again he needs to be given the chop; no exceptions. We need the IC set up with someone to negotiate the rights to their full value and while they are at it they need to bring more money in to the game.

Gallop is only one person on the negotiating team, the Cheif operating officer and whichever directors have media experience on the IC will have input this time

seanoff

Juniors
I've never met anyone who likes AFL and RL. The only people I've met that like AFL are those I've met while traveling outside NSW or likewise someone traveling from outside NSW.

There might be about 5 people lost to either code because they feel there is a petty war going on.

don't come to darwin, you'll find all sorts of people that play and watch both as the seasons are opposite. you'll find people high up in clubs on both sides. my father coached RL here whilst serving on the committee of an aussie rules club.

kids will often play aussie rules, league and soccer in the same year. this continues up into the senior grades as well.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
We just want what's best for the game, I love rugby league to death and want it to grow.

I hear you, but if league is as lovable as you and others believe then it's future is sound, no matter how much money is thrown about to convince people otherwise.

Rugby league is the toughest of nuts to crack. It should have died decades ago in France.

kurt faulk

Coach
It's not that easy mate, and you know it.
If they offer 300mill for the current set up and don't budge, what bargaining chip do we have?

haha, it's the highest rating sport on tv. tv bosses aren't stupid.

murdoch made his fortune out of overbidding for the premier sports rights. it's unfortunate the way he was able to screw rugby league but we all know which loser teams sold out the game. and how stupid arthurton and quayle were to stand by packer instead of using the situation to get the best deal for the game.

all the game needs is strong leadership and it will get the money it deserves. gallop was looking after his employer least tv deal, this time leadership has to look out for the game.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I've never met anyone who likes AFL and RL. The only people I've met that like AFL are those I've met while traveling outside NSW or likewise someone traveling from outside NSW.

There might be about 5 people lost to either code because they feel there is a petty war going on.

I've always followed both (and a lot of other sports besides), and I could give two knobs of goat shit if it bothers anyone. The AFL's current aggressive stance toward the other codes does shit me however.

smi962

First Grade
I never hated AFL whilst living in the northern states, however, have grown to hate it living in Hobart and Melbourne.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The last super deal was blamed on Packer artificially boosting the price on his death bed. What's our excuse this time?

Without a national game played in all the major capital cities we aren;t ever going to surpass AFL.

The first think I would do if I was David Gallop is announce 2 more teams to have 9 matches a week (one has to be Perth, other probably Brisabne 2).

Second think I would do is straight after doing 1 is ring Foxtel and say we want a bigger Pay TV deal than you gave the AFL (NRL is a better TV sport, everyone knows it).

It is a pity the NBN isn't built yet, if it was there would be so many more available parties that would be bidding to get NRL rights. The NBN going to every home could see Pay TV take up increase massively.

kurt faulk

Coach
The last super deal was blamed on Packer artificially boosting the price on his death bed. What's our excuse this time?

Without a national game played in all the major capital cities we aren;t ever going to surpass AFL.

the nrl is played in the only three states that matter.

Nerd

Bench
Perth Red is right we need to stop focusing on the new AFL deal and start looking at the upcoming NRL deal.

Considering that the AFL is at saturation point ratings wise in the market and the NRL consistently out performs it with basically coverage in only into 2 cities it needs to be examined how the NRL gets a substantial increase considering the potential for better ratings.

My thoughts are:

1/ Get the IC formed and therfore News Corp out of the next rights decision process.

2/ At the minimum expansion into Perth asap.

3/ Push the point that live coverage of Storm games into Melbourne can only increase overall ratings as it now comes from a virtually negligible figure because of being shown at or around midnight.

Flapper

First Grade

Well considering we did our deal first last time, we should perhaps wait until we do our deals before we look for excuses, as we may trump it! :)

Scarves

Juniors
This is an outrageously good deal for the AFL and well done to their negotiation team. I guess what has happened to the AFL is an example of what happens when an organisation pull together in the same direction. Geez they even score their very own TV channel.

Wow.

Rugby League officials still can't get the independant management structure of the game nailed down without disputes. consessions and in fighting. This figure served to the AFL isn't just a reflection on a good product, but quality professional management.

There is no doubt our product is just as good, ratings suggest that perhaps it is even better than the AFL. Multiple networks are working on a position to bid for Rugby League and the various packages, however the management of the NRL and the game is viewed as complicated.

I guess we'll find out what our game is worth in the next 9-12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.