What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
This he third for fourth time this topic has been brought up on this site?

Point? Or do you just like to post for the practice, Mr "don't post unless it's on topic"?

I have serious doubts that news limited would risk another public relations disaster like last time. They've got the monopoly on pay tv so unless another player with enormous coin comes in then they are in a prime position to reap riches from the present comp without the need to do anything drastic.

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
If it happened again i could lay money the same clubs that bolted for cash 1st time round would go for a 2nd munch at the trough..
Just glad my team didnt jump on board the traitor league

Loudstrat

Coach
No one apart from Cronulla would be that stupid.

MS Storm - Im curious - why do you want News Ltd in the game so badly?

carcharias

Immortal
No one apart from Cronulla would be that stupid.

MS Storm - Im curious - why do you want News Ltd in the game so badly?

I know is must kill you to see the Sharks still going and your team not and not likely too.
But , if news started fling the cash around again there would be more than one team jump...I can assure you of that.
Money talks baby....and not many clubs have much of it in reality.

jamoss

Juniors
Guys you do realize that's news is a business and shareholders are only interested in making the most profit and highest share price. It's not a charity and it's sole purpose is to make money.

Does that give you a license to get away with whatever you want in this world ? is there any such thing as ethics or morals or just because you have shareholders should you be entitled to do whatever you like with blatant disregard for your actions ? As long as you make money is that how you guage doing the right thing ?

I certainly dont..

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i dont think it'll ever happen again. after what happened last time I think clubs and players would be aware of the consequences of a breakaway league. last time the clubs realised that the money didnt mean shit in a divided comp

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...le-out-another-rebel-comp-20110520-1ewm9.html

I'm sick of the conflict of interest with News LTD there selfish interests for there own good not rugby league from day one. Nothing but a parasite to the game.

A good headline for the SMH to portray News Ltd as the Evil Empire. With the bad feeling from 1997 & the disasterous projects like Super League, World Club Challenge & the wonderful World Club 9's, people have only negatives associated with that time.

I'm not sticking up for News Ltd, but as stated on other similar threads, the point is they're not committing to anything more than 5 years. Is that really a bad thing ? Who would want to lock themselves into the NRL for anything longer ?

No-one knows what direction the comp will have taken by then & issues such as expansion, relocation, plus financial matters will have a massive bearing on the future. Add to those the fact that the next tv deal is up for grabs at the end of 2017, that will also have a huge impact on the game.

Importantly, the clubs & players would like to keep their options open as well & give themselves bargaining power for the CBA, tv rights deal etc. This story by Fairfax takes the heat off them & paints the nasty News Ltd as the bad guys.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Point? Or do you just like to post for the practice, Mr "don't post unless it's on topic"?

I have serious doubts that news limited would risk another public relations disaster like last time. They've got the monopoly on pay tv so unless another player with enormous coin comes in then they are in a prime position to reap riches from the present comp without the need to do anything drastic.

My point is, and seem to have been agreed by a mod/Admin seeming that its been moved, we have discussed it a number of times and the topic is not news, so why do we need to chat about it again.

Goddo

Bench
Pay TV will be a dead medium within 10 years though. I get the feeling News is aware of it too.

Shelling out massive overs for the AFL to drive subscriptions in the southern states smacks of desperation. Meanwhile, Telstra nabbed the Internet rights for $150m, and anti-siphoning law changes will make free to air TV far more marketable.

Whats the bet Telstra pull out of PayTV and focus their efforts entirely into internet platforms and the T-Box?

The ARLC should be agressive in negotiations. Pay up or f*ck off and die Foxsports.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
No surprise, but posting it here for the information:

Foxtel makes Austar takeover bid

PAY-TV provider Foxtel has made a bid for Austar United Communications, valuing the target company at $1.93 billion.
Foxtel has offered $1.52 per share for the regional operator, compared with Austar's closing price yesterday of $1.265.

Austar said its board considered the higher offer price was appropriate for a change of control transaction, and that it would work with Foxtel towards agreeing a scheme of arrangement to implement the deal.

---

"A successful transaction would bring together two of Australia's major subscription TV service providers, creating one of Australia's largest media businesses," Foxtel said in its own statement.

"Foxtel believes a merger of Foxtel and AUSTAR would bring significant benefits to consumers (including) faster roll-out of new digital products and services, and access to new digital subscription channels as well as packages and pricing to regional subscribers.

http://www.news.com.au/business/bre...tar-takeover-bid/story-e6frfkur-1226063278432

BDGS

Bench
Can anyone supply the TV ratings for Hobart, Darwin and the regionals?

I know the these ones:
TV ratings: 2,227mil total. Sydney: 1,054,000. Brisbane: 820,000. Melbourne: 296,000

Edwahu

Bench
Can anyone supply the TV ratings for Hobart, Darwin and the regionals?

I know the these ones:
TV ratings: 2,227mil total. Sydney: 1,054,000. Brisbane: 820,000. Melbourne: 296,000

National was 3.5 million
http://www.throng.com.au/node/27239

So regional was about 1.3 milion. That excludes Tas, NT, regional WA & SA and a bunch of smaller regional areas mainly in QLD. Those ratings are not usually available unless you subscribe to regional TAM.

Raiderdave

First Grade
National was 3.5 million
http://www.throng.com.au/node/27239

So regional was about 1.3 milion. That excludes Tas, NT, regional WA & SA and a bunch of smaller regional areas mainly in QLD. Those ratings are not usually available unless you subscribe to regional TAM.

3.502 million
2nd highest rating origin ever .. behind game I last year at 3.588 Million

I have a inkling that game II in 2011 will break the record from last year
& if its a decider ( & I think it will be )
Lockyers last Origin , game III 2011..will break it again ... awesome stuff :D

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=...sports-in-usa-to-show-2011-origin-series-live

AUSTRALIA:
ACT – Live on WIN TV from 7:30pm
NSW – Live on Channel Nine, WIN TV, NBN TV and Imparja, all from 7:30pm
NT – Live on Channel Nine and Imparja, both from 7:00pm
Queensland – Live on Channel Nine, WIN TV, NBN TV and Imparja, all from 7:30pm

SA – Delayed on Channel Nine from 10:30pm, Live on Imparja from 7:00pm
Tasmania – Live on WIN TV from 7:30pm
Victoria – Live on Channel Nine, WIN TV and Imparja, all from 7:30pm

Western Australia – Delayed on Channel Nine from 10.30pm and WIN TV from 9:00pm

NRLMad

Juniors
With Bris2/Perth eventually coming in; the amount of TV viewers could push 5m eventually. that'll be amazing..

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Pay TV will be a dead medium within 10 years though. I get the feeling News is aware of it too.

Shelling out massive overs for the AFL to drive subscriptions in the southern states smacks of desperation. Meanwhile, Telstra nabbed the Internet rights for $150m, and anti-siphoning law changes will make free to air TV far more marketable.

Whats the bet Telstra pull out of PayTV and focus their efforts entirely into internet platforms and the T-Box?

The ARLC should be agressive in negotiations. Pay up or f*ck off and die Foxsports.

Foxtel, which is 50 per cent owned by Telstra and 25 per cent owned by Consolidated Media Holdings and News Ltd, will fund its takeover with a combination of Foxtel bank debt and shareholder capital contributions.
Telstra's contribution will be in the form of a subordinated shareholder note. Telstra will not reduce its shareholding in Foxtel.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/foxt...a-landscape-20110526-1f5gf.html#ixzz1NS1o0VHA

Doesnt look like telstra is pulling out of pay, according to this they own most of Foxtel anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts