What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The two clubs in serious danger of collapse - Tele

bartman

Immortal
And could the other club be Parra? Their leagues club is going up the sh*tter from all reports.
Fitzgerald has spoken on two occasions about not being able to guarantee the team's future for the next five years. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tele runs with the Eels as one of their two on that basis.

Since Cronulla went cap in hand in the off-season to the NRL, you'd have to presume the imminent one is them? Doesn't mean much having development plans approved if there's no money around to do any building.

bartman

Immortal
I think Tigers are safe - they operate three licenced clubs don't they, and two of them (Ashfield and Campbelltown) have been going great guns.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think Tigers are safe - they operate three licenced clubs don't they, and two of them (Ashfield and Campbelltown) have been going great guns.

the Tigers have one of the best Marketing teams in the NRL most of their revenue streams come in the form of corporate sponsorship, they're definitely not as reliant on their leagues clubs as some are.

Mr Saab

Referee
the Tigers have one of the best Marketing teams in the NRL most of their revenue streams come in the form of corporate sponsorship, they're definitely not as reliant on their leagues clubs as some are.

Shame they cant replicate that on the field

hrundi99

First Grade

Yes, the reason why their club grants have been cut is because they've generated more revenue from other sources (they traditionally figured out what the hole was and asked the clubs to fill it so as to break even; that hole's been getting smaller over the last few years), with the ultimate intention of being in a position to break even or make a profit without any financial support from the clubs.

Karmawave

Bench
My guess is Manly and Cronulla with the Tigers not all that far behind.

And the Knights in even worse shape because they are $3M in debt with no assets to speak of...

Having said that, I have no doubt that before the end of 2009, a Sydney based NRL club will take the money on offer from the NRL and move to the Central Coast as their only way of survival.

And the Sharks are the most likely candidate.

Last edited:

coach

Why wait to 1pm to tell us? It smells a lot like a beat up to me.

Though in saying that I have no doubt that by next season we will not have 16 NRL teams. At least not the same 16 we presently have.

And the Knights in even worse shape because they are $3M in debt with no assets to speak of...

Having said that, I have no doubt that before the end of 2009, a Sydney based NRL club will take the money on offer from the NRL and move to the Central Coast as their only way of survival.

And the Sharks are the most likely candidate.

the problem is though its only $8 million on offer.

I cant see how that type of money would help a team for more than a few years. Unless offcourse the revenue streams for a team on the Central coast are much better.

btw - does anyone know if the money is on offer for any relocation ?

Why wait to 1pm to tell us? It smells a lot like a beat up to me.

Though in saying that I have no doubt that by next season we will not have 16 NRL teams. At least not the same 16 we presently have.

we'll either have the current 16 or less.

There is no way known a different team could get organised in such a short time.

maybe a relocation , but even that would be pretty short notice.

Karmawave

Bench
the problem is though its only $8 million on offer.

Actually that is what is officially on the table, however the NRL has said before that they would be willing to up that price if a proposal was put to them by a team serious on relocation.

The NRL would be flexible enough to give $10M right now for a team to relocate to the Central Coast.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Chances are it's probably 2 of the clubs already named, but the blog said nothing about it being two Sydney Clubs.

Newcastle has had some issues in recent years, hopefully they've cleaned that up.

What's the financial situation like in Canberra?

Without News the Storm are in trouble, maybe it's just a BS article and he's going to remind us of that for the 20th time.

Stagger eel

Staff member
You didn't notice all the stuff about Delmege withdrawing his contribution?

Manly aren't in the best financial position right now you know...

I've heard MD on the radio a couple of times now and he's never threatened to withdrawl once..however I do concede that he almost detest his fellow co-owner and I guess there are dramas about that involving MWLC so who knows??

I still think that the whole drama was ego driven...

Danish

Referee
With the NRL's $8 million offer for a team to relocate to the Central Coast, how would this work if a team collapses??

Would they then offer $8 million to anyone willing to START a team on the Coast??

Latest posts